The Student Room Group

A levels - history or sociology with chemistry and biology

Should I do
1) biology chemistry history
2) biology chemistry sociology

I did sociology at gcse and got a 9 and history got an 8 enjoyed history more but everyone says it’s too much content and hard to manage so now I’m not sure about it.

I know sociology has a lot of content as well but I’ve been told it’s more manageable??
Reply 1
As someone who has done both history and sociology ( achieved higher in history ) I recommend NOT to take history.

I received a 9 in GCSE history but A level it is completely different and the content is very heavy and on top you will have to do coursework on a whole other topic and the coursework is literally dreadful.

I recommend taking sociology instead, the subject actually opens your eyes about the world, the content is heavy but not as heavy as history.
just wondering what are u thinking of doing in university?
Original post by unknowgal
just wondering what are u thinking of doing in university?

Not sure exactly but definitely a science degree
im thinking the same as you and am stuck between 2 that i will take with biology and chemistry. Im hopefully going to do medicine
Original post by npic9
As someone who has done both history and sociology ( achieved higher in history ) I recommend NOT to take history.

I received a 9 in GCSE history but A level it is completely different and the content is very heavy and on top you will have to do coursework on a whole other topic and the coursework is literally dreadful.

I recommend taking sociology instead, the subject actually opens your eyes about the world, the content is heavy but not as heavy as history.

Thank you :smile: also what history did u do? sorry to pry but what grades did u get for sociology and history?
Original post by unknowgal
im thinking the same as you and am stuck between 2 that i will take with biology and chemistry. Im hopefully going to do medicine

It’s a hard decision haha I just don’t want to regret it
Reply 7
Original post by Clpotter166
Thank you :smile: also what history did u do? sorry to pry but what grades did u get for sociology and history?

For my a level history I had to do Stuart’s, Nazi Germany and for my coursework my sixth form forced us to do imperialism in South America.

For my CAG I got a B in history and C in sociology. However I retook in autumn and received an A in my history and B in my sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest