The Student Room Group

HELP!! Species Response to Environmental Changes

I have a 1000 word essay due soon and for the life of me, I can't find a single species I can write about.

It needs to be a species in the UK and about their response to environmental change in the UK, but there's nothing. Like yes, moths, butterflies, but there aren't very many papers and I don't know what to write for the main body at all.

Any clues on species that have survived a monumental change and responded well?

I can do the rest well enough.
(edited 3 years ago)
You could talk about how climate change has changed the migratory, breeding and foraging patterns of certain birds. One example of a migratory group of birds that come to mind are different species of swallows.

Thank you so much!

This reply is very late, but I did use your link for some interesting facts and figures!
Original post by HarisMalik98
You could talk about how climate change has changed the migratory, breeding and foraging patterns of certain birds. One example of a migratory group of birds that come to mind are different species of swallows.

We were meant to pick on specific species, which for me was difficult because I don’t know many species 😅
I actually ended up talking about red foxes and how they adapted to urbanisation. Not the best topic but I couldn’t find anything else, it was an absolute pain to write because they really haven’t got many evolutionary adaptations but I got the word found so it’s all good 😌
Original post by SleepyBeans
We were meant to pick on specific species, which for me was difficult because I don’t know many species 😅
I actually ended up talking about red foxes and how they adapted to urbanisation. Not the best topic but I couldn’t find anything else, it was an absolute pain to write because they really haven’t got many evolutionary adaptations but I got the word found so it’s all good 😌

sorry i arrived late! Theres a long term, study based at Oxford on how Great Tits are responding to climate change that might have worked very well. In case anyone else has a similar assigment, an overview is here https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201105112936.htm
Hope the red foxes were fun.
Original post by OxFossil
sorry i arrived late! Theres a long term, study based at Oxford on how Great Tits are responding to climate change that might have worked very well. In case anyone else has a similar assigment, an overview is here https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201105112936.htm
Hope the red foxes were fun.

That was so interesting! I didn't know that they were such a fascinating species because you see them all the time and you sort of forget, yeah that would've been an awesome study.
The Foxes were definitely fun if a bit difficult to write about. Maybe I just didn't research in-depth enough, but it was hard to find out about how they evolved to adjust in urban areas apart from: they're smart y'know?

It's done now though!
Original post by SleepyBeans
That was so interesting! I didn't know that they were such a fascinating species because you see them all the time and you sort of forget, yeah that would've been an awesome study.
The Foxes were definitely fun if a bit difficult to write about. Maybe I just didn't research in-depth enough, but it was hard to find out about how they evolved to adjust in urban areas apart from: they're smart y'know?

It's done now though!

Thanks. Dont get me started on how fascinating Great Tits though; Im an Olympic level bore, after helping with the study to see what colour larvae they prefer, and how they work out which trees to search etc. Theres even some evidence they can *smell* the trees with most caterpillars because damaged leaves give off a particular chemical. Freakier yet, some people speculate the trees do this to attract the Great Tits to come and eat the pesky caterpillars....!

So yeah...Olympic level. Foxes are brilliant too though! Glad you finished the essay OK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending