The Student Room Group

is computing gcse hard

should I pick this subject. Is it good? What will I learn ?
Original post by cat_12280

I personally don't know about GCSE Computing, but I took a Double Award OCR National in IT and it was boring which made it very hard. Given the choice I was that I could have taken GCSE Computer Science instead as I would have likely have found it easier. Each to their own I suppose. :wink:
I personally did not enjoy it and wish I'd chosen history but it depends on what you're good at. Are you good at maths? (although you don't need to be amazing at it to pass gcse computing). And do you think you'd be good at coding?If you answered yes to those questions then go for it. There's a bunch of theory you need to learn too.
It's about will you enjoy it. try a little programming tutorial online and see if you like programming. It will definitely help to make you a great thinker and better at maths but most importantly set the foundation of the most basic concepts of computer science. It's not hard but just problem solving and learning how aa computer works.
if ur good at coding then you'll be fine. i am doing OCR computing rn n i hate it LOL. i think if you are good at managing your time you'll be fine with taking it. the theory isn't bad, but the programming rly bothers me because it can be quite hard at times. I'm doing the programming project right now and the procrastination really be kicking it lmao
Reply 5
I actually love the subject. I would say I'm a bit biased though..

It depends on your interests. I took WJEC Computing GCSE last year and I believe it would be very challenging to someone who has never done any sort of coding before as you're pretty much thrown straight in. I had around a year using Python before I started and I did struggle at times but if you work at it and practice, it will come!

However, there is not as much actual coding as you might think - it's very theory-heavy and does include a little bit of maths too but it's mostly just learning a dozen simple formulas and plugging stuff in. The theory itself is relatively simple.

If you are interested in how computers and computer systems work then go for it! If you have no interest it is very boring at times, especially with all the theory.

I wouldn’t say it’s hard. It’s mostly just memorising words really.. well that’s what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest