The Student Room Group

How to respect my parents and control my anger when they annoy me

My parents are very annoying and i don't get along with them, i will admit i talk back alot and raise my voice and im guessing as kids we just need to accept out parents toxic behaviour and bot get upset so how do i control myself and not "disrespect " my parents.

Scroll to see replies

i don't think your parents are toxic bc they're annoying. if you lived with mine, you'd be asking yourself if they actually birthed you. but i still love them and i know they love me too 🤷🏽*♀️
Reply 2
Original post by ifreakingloveme
i don't think your parents are toxic bc they're annoying. if you lived with mine, you'd be asking yourself if they actually birthed you. but i still love them and i know they love me too 🤷🏽*♀️

Its not only annoying things that they do. Next time if you aren't gonna give advice and tips don't comment at all bye
Depends on actual context, no on here knows what happens in your house. If you feel like they’re toxic, depending on your age, if you’re 17 then you’ll move out this year. If you’re still in secondary school, either wait, distract yourself in the meantime by spending time with friends, hobbies etc. Or if it’s unbearable, go ahead and report their supposedly ‘toxic’ behaviour.
My parents are actually all right apart from my dad's kinda casually racist and homophobic. Its weird like he doesn't even realise it, and he never be unkind to someone in person because of it, idk. Anyway yeah I always get annoyed at my parents when they nag me but it doesn't stop them from doing it. Tbh if I just never ask my parents for help with anything they won't nag me abt it. Ig its kinda sad but i think the best way to stop ur parents being annoying is not let them know abt ur problems and just tals to ur family abt other stuff.

Lol this is the most nonsensical reply ever, sozzles
Reply 5
Focus on an object, breath in and out; or before doing anything harmful, reflect on the consequences it could have (in a lot of cases, anger leads to bad consequences). By reflecting, you’ll think twice before doing anything dangerous. I hope this helps!! (p.s don’t forget to apologise to your parents:smile:)
Focus on your own health, safety and building the future life that you want. :smile:
Not the traditions about respect, religion or family values.

Doing your best to remain positive and improve your situation.
Avoiding aggressive situations & unnecessary conflict, studying/working hard and saving as much money as you possibly can so that you can afford your own accomodation.
Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Depends on actual context, no on here knows what happens in your house. If you feel like they’re toxic, depending on your age, if you’re 17 then you’ll move out this year. If you’re still in secondary school, either wait, distract yourself in the meantime by spending time with friends, hobbies etc. Or if it’s unbearable, go ahead and report their supposedly ‘toxic’ behaviour.

Im looking for actual tips on how to respect them more and control my feelings when they make me angry or be mean to me. I can't leave i have no money and we are in quarantine so im not going anywhere
Original post by Cheersbtch
Im looking for actual tips on how to respect them more and control my feelings when they make me angry or be mean to me. I can't leave i have no money and we are in quarantine so im not going anywhere

what annoying things do they do?

As I’ve said, there’s a difference between bearable and unbearable toxicity, knowing when to differentiate between the two will be beneficial in the long run.
Reply 10
As I’ve said, there’s a difference between bearable and unbearable toxicity, knowing when to differentiate between the two will be beneficial in the long run.

Ofc there is a diffence i won't say its unbearable cause it isn't but its still enough for me to get angry at them and lost patience, which is what i wanted advice on
Its not only annoying things that they do. Next time if you aren't gonna give advice and tips don't comment at all bye

damn, hun. you wanna get all defensive, then fine. you do you. but what advice were you expecting to get? whatever, tho. i couldn't care less. buh-bye 🖐🏽
Reply 12
damn, hun. you wanna get all defensive, then fine. you do you. but what advice were you expecting to get? whatever, tho. i couldn't care less. buh-bye 🖐🏽

Not being defensive just telling the truth that ur comment was pointless, i was expecting advice on how to control my feelings not ur useless comment. And yh go bye
Ofc there is a diffence i won't say its unbearable cause it isn't but its still enough for me to get angry at them and lost patience, which is what i wanted advice on

Alright, no worries. Good Advice has already been provided here, so I’ll leave this here.
Not being defensive just telling the truth that ur comment was pointless, i was expecting advice on how to control my feelings not ur useless comment. And yh go bye

"useless comment"
for some reason, i should get mad at you and argue and blah blah, but meh.
Reply 15
"useless comment"

Be mad if you want ur comment wasn't necessary at all and you said bye so BUH-BYE!!
Be mad if you want ur comment wasn't necessary at all and you said bye so BUH-BYE!!

"useless comment"

Oh god, come on guys, really?

istg, i was gonna go. but you're like really entertaining, lol 😹😹

Oh god, come on guys, really?

what can i say, lol.
Reply 18
istg, i was gonna go. but you're like really entertaining, lol 😹😹

what can i say, lol.

No ur here cause ur mad that i told you ur comment was useless and provided no help whatsover. Anyway stay if you want i don't mind ur irrelevant anyway just like ur advice
what can i say, lol.

Ignore it, most likely just carrying negative vibes

Quick Reply