The Student Room Group

2020/21 First Year Schemes (HSF, A&O, etc.)

Hey guys!
I was just wondering why there's no thread related to first year schemes so thought I might start one.

I applied to HSF workshop, Baker McKenzie scheme, SM open day and Links pathfinder and now preparing for A&O, NRF and Freshfields.
I think I kinda messed up HSF and Links' online test :frown: but we'll see

Has anyone applied to any and wanna discuss??

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I applied to Latham, White&Case, Baker, Linklaters, Clifford Chance, Macfarlanes, Osborne Clarke and Herbert Smith Freehills.

Got rejected for CC and Links but waiting on all the others!

Got onto the first year open day for Baker McKenzie but am still waiting for the insight scheme results. Haven’t heard back from any of the others
Wondering if anyone else has had any offers/interviews yet as I have a friend who got an interview for Latham and CC.
Reply 3
Original post by Itsxhcllyy
Hi! I applied to Latham, White&Case, Baker, Linklaters, Clifford Chance, Macfarlanes, Osborne Clarke and Herbert Smith Freehills.

Got rejected for CC and Links but waiting on all the others!

Got onto the first year open day for Baker McKenzie but am still waiting for the insight scheme results. Haven’t heard back from any of the others

Hey! Congratulations on getting an offer for BM open day :smile:!!
I havent heard from any firms so far... but I'm honestly not holding any hope lamo
Sorry to hear the rejections, when did you hear back from Links if you don't mind me asking?
Also did you get any emails from HSF after completing the online test?
Original post by yuki1201
Hey! Congratulations on getting an offer for BM open day :smile:!!
I havent heard from any firms so far... but I'm honestly not holding any hope lamo
Sorry to hear the rejections, when did you hear back from Links if you don't mind me asking?
Also did you get any emails from HSF after completing the online test?

For HSF I got something saying where my strengths are etc like the links one.
I checked on the Linklaters portal to see if it updated on there and it said I was unsuccessful, I only checked today though and have no email to confirm.

And same not expecting much! Just hoping I can get to interview for at least one to boost my confidence!
My Linklaters Pathfinder status is currently 'on hold', not sure what that is supposed to mean
Original post by Matt_4231
My Linklaters Pathfinder status is currently 'on hold', not sure what that is supposed to mean

Better than a rejection I guess??
Better than a rejection I guess??

I suppose so... does anyone know if there is another stage for Linklaters or will we just be emailed with a rejection/acceptance?
Reply 8
Original post by Matt_4231

Mine says on hold as well, i suppose that means under review or hasn't been reviewed yet
Reply 9
btw, just received an emial from HSF saying I passed the benchmark and my app has been processed to the next stage
btw, just received an emial from HSF saying I passed the benchmark and my app has been processed to the next stage

Same, does HSF do interviews?
Reply 11
Same, does HSF do interviews?

For the first year workshop I don’t think they do... but not 100% sure
Just wanted to drop in to say if anyone has questions about 1st year schemes etc. I'll do what I can to help! I did 1st year schemes at Clifford Chance, Allen&Overy, Weil, White&Case, Sherman&Sterling, Clyde&Co, Mishcon de Reya (also got offers from HSF and Simmons&Simmons but chose not to do them). Got direct TC offers from CC, A&O and Weil as a result of 1st year schemes too so can help with pretty much whole process :smile: good luck all!
Original post by coffeeneeded27
Just wanted to drop in to say if anyone has questions about 1st year schemes etc. I'll do what I can to help! I did 1st year schemes at Clifford Chance, Allen&Overy, Weil, White&Case, Sherman&Sterling, Clyde&Co, Mishcon de Reya (also got offers from HSF and Simmons&Simmons but chose not to do them). Got direct TC offers from CC, A&O and Weil as a result of 1st year schemes too so can help with pretty much whole process :smile: good luck all!

Wow that’s an impressive list! Well done on securing the TCs!! How did you make your applications successful? Any tips? :smile:

Also if you don’t mind me asking, what was your extra-curricular/grades like?
Wow that’s an impressive list! Well done on securing the TCs!! How did you make your applications successful? Any tips? :smile:

Also if you don’t mind me asking, what was your extra-curricular/grades like?

A levels were AAB. I'm on a 4 year non-law course so I did some of the schemes in 1st year and some in my 2nd. In 1st year I got an average of 66 (62, 63, 69, 70) so I was nothing special academics wise.

Extra-curricular: performance squad rower (10 times a week), won the law soc commercial negotiations comp and negotiations inter-varsity, subsequently invited to judge and mentor in 2nd year, quarter finalist of the 1st year moot and highest placed non-law student, horse riding team performance squad and riding club social sec, brass band concerts and contests manager (talked a lot about organising 17 events in a 10 day period for 50 band members in my apps).

I also work 25-30 hours a week as a waitress alongside my degree and spent a gap year and then every uni holiday working as an in-house legal assistant for a major supermarket.

Tips for making apps stand out (these are generic if you give me specific qs I can help more):
* if when writing an answer for why law, you could replace law with banking/consultancy etc. your answer is too generic
* same for why the firm - all firms are international and doing 1st of their kind work. You need to dig deeper into what makes each firm unique.
* Do extra-curriculars that interest you, not what you think firms want to see. Your passion will come across a lot more if it's something you're genuinely interested in
* 1st year does count to law firms. Don't get 2.2s (or if you do don't get more than like 1)
Reply 15

A levels were AAB. I'm on a 4 year non-law course so I did some of the schemes in 1st year and some in my 2nd. In 1st year I got an average of 66 (62, 63, 69, 70) so I was nothing special academics wise.

Extra-curricular: performance squad rower (10 times a week), won the law soc commercial negotiations comp and negotiations inter-varsity, subsequently invited to judge and mentor in 2nd year, quarter finalist of the 1st year moot and highest placed non-law student, horse riding team performance squad and riding club social sec, brass band concerts and contests manager (talked a lot about organising 17 events in a 10 day period for 50 band members in my apps).

I also work 25-30 hours a week as a waitress alongside my degree and spent a gap year and then every uni holiday working as an in-house legal assistant for a major supermarket.

Tips for making apps stand out (these are generic if you give me specific qs I can help more):
* if when writing an answer for why law, you could replace law with banking/consultancy etc. your answer is too generic
* same for why the firm - all firms are international and doing 1st of their kind work. You need to dig deeper into what makes each firm unique.
* Do extra-curriculars that interest you, not what you think firms want to see. Your passion will come across a lot more if it's something you're genuinely interested in
* 1st year does count to law firms. Don't get 2.2s (or if you do don't get more than like 1)

Thank you so much for your advice, absolutely helpful!! :smile:
Did you do any interviews for first year schemes?
Thank you so much for your advice, absolutely helpful!! :smile:
Did you do any interviews for first year schemes?

Allen&Overy: phone interview (but I did it in person as I’m deaf)
CC: full assessment centre (competency interview then case study interview inc written exercise)
Weil: video interview then phone interview (again in person)
Clydes: phone interview (in person)
HSF: video interview
Simmons: video interview

all the others didn’t have interviews and were just the written app when I did them
Reply 17
Hi everyone!
Guess I’ll share my apps too :smile:

Insight schemes: Clifford Chance (rejection), Taylor Wessing (offer), Simmons & Simmons (rejected), Macfarlanes, White & Case, Linklaters, Allen & Overy (rejected), Norton Rose Fulbright, Osborne Clarke, Freshfields, Baker McKenzie, Hogan Lovells.

Open days: Shearman & Sterling (offer), Baker McKenzie (offer), Slaughter and May, Vinson & Elkins (offer), Stephenson Harwood, Gibson Dunn, Cleary Gottlieb (rejection).

Still waiting on most, hopefully we'll get some feedback soon! Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)

Thank you!!

Why did you apply to the firms you applied for? What did you look for in them?

I’m amazed at how many schemes you got onto especially as they’re extremely competitive!
Original post by karo.xx
Hi everyone!
Guess I’ll share my apps too :smile:

Insight schemes: Clifford Chance (rejection), Taylor Wessing (offer), Simmons & Simmons (rejected), Macfarlanes, White & Case, Linklaters, Allen & Overy, Norton Rose Fulbright, Osborne Clarke, Freshfields, Cleary Gottlieb, Baker McKenzie.

Open days: Shearman & Sterling (offer), Baker McKenzie (offer), Slaughter and May, Vinson & Elkins, Stephenson Harwood, Gibson Dunn.

Still waiting on most, hopefully we'll get some feedback soon! Good luck!

Have you heard anything from white, baker and macfarlanes? I applied to those back in December but haven’t heard anything at all!

Congratulations on the offers too!

Quick Reply