The Student Room Group

GCSE Science

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following energy transfers, as I'm not too sure about them and my teacher hasn't gone through these (I'm not too sure when it gets transferred to the surroundings & what they consist of):

an object projected upwards
a moving object hitting an obstacle
an object accelerated by a constant force e.g. car accelerating
a vehicle slowing down
bringing water to a boil in an electric kettle.
1) object projected upwards.
- energy is initially kinetic as it goes up. The energy is slowly transferred from kinetic energy to gravitational potential energy as it slows down. When it hits it's peak height, all the energy is gpe. As the object falls again, the energy transfers from gpe back to ke.

2) a moving object hitting an obstacle
- At the start the energy is kinetic as it's moving. When it hits the obstacle, there is still some kinetic energy in the object as it moves away from the obstacle, and the rest of the energy is transferred to kinetic energy (of the obstacle as the obstacle moves), heat energy of both and kinetic energy
3) an object accelerated by a constant force
Initially the energy shifts from the chemical energy of the fuel to the kinetic energy of the object via work done by forces such as thrust.

4) a vehicle slowing down
Initially the vehicle's energy is kinetic. But as you apply the brakes to slow down the energy is transferred to the thermal heat of the brakes and to the surroundings, heat (friction) and sound. You could say the energy dissipates into the atmosphere through heat and sound.

5) bringing water to a boil in an electric kettle
The energy is initially from the chemical store of the fuel at the power station. Then it is converted into electrical energy at the power station. The electrical energy is then transferred to the kettle through the mains power supply. The electrical energy is transferred to thermal energy of the water. Sometimes a kettle whistles so I think that you could say some energy is converted to sound energy.
To shorten all that
1) Object projected upwards
Energy shifts from chemical energy store of the body to GPE store of the object via the mechanical pathway

Energy shifts from kinetic store of object to the thermal energy and elastic potential store of the obstacle via the mechanical pathway

3) an object accelerated by a constant force e.g. car accelerating
Energy shifts from chemical store of the fuel to the kinetic store of the object via the mechanical pathway

Energy shifts from the kinetic store of the vehicle to the thermal store of the brakes and surroundings via the mechanical pathway

5) bringing water to a boil in an electric kettle.
Energy shifts from chemical store of the fuel (at power station) to the thermal store of the water via the electrical pathways
Reply 4
Original post by chela_123
To shorten all that
1) Object projected upwards
Energy shifts from chemical energy store of the body to GPE store of the object via the mechanical pathway

Energy shifts from kinetic store of object to the thermal energy and elastic potential store of the obstacle via the mechanical pathway

3) an object accelerated by a constant force e.g. car accelerating
Energy shifts from chemical store of the fuel to the kinetic store of the object via the mechanical pathway

Energy shifts from the kinetic store of the vehicle to the thermal store of the brakes and surroundings via the mechanical pathway

5) bringing water to a boil in an electric kettle.
Energy shifts from chemical store of the fuel (at power station) to the thermal store of the water via the electrical pathways

Thank youuuu :smile:
Original post by srb_16
Thank youuuu :smile:

Anytime :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest