The Student Room Group

Tinted windscreen, how much trouble could I get in?

Wrote the context in the first paragraph, to explain what happened. Got questions in the end. Thank you!

So was in traffic in kings cross, London. I spotted a BMW 5 series estate which was parked on the side of the road facing the main road. My gut instinct was that it is a undercover police car. Drove past them and then they joined the road. They then went through the bus lane (not allowed it's a 24/7 bus lane, but they're police so it's fine) and switched lanes to go behind me. After about 30 seconds they switched on the blue lights and gave me a toot of the siren. I went into the bus lane and pulled over. They went behind me so I knew it's for me. Officer got out and told me my windscreen tint is illegal and I could potentially recieve a fine and 3 points. I decided to play dumb in an effort to get a bit of sympathy and get away with it basically. I told them that the tint man told me its legal. He said unfortunately he sold me down the river. This wasted time. Then a lorry wanted to leave a building site and was getting annoyed cos we were blocking the exit. So the police told me to go on my way and take off the tint ASAP.

Could I get in trouble for this traffic stop, can i recieve a letter? They gave me no paperwork. Will it stay on their systems so if I get pulled over again the officer will know that I was pulled over on the 4th February for illegally tinted windscreen? Also if I was stopped again, could I avoid a fine and points by taking off the tint at the roadside?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury

Could I get in trouble for this traffic stop, can i recieve a letter? They gave me no paperwork. Will it stay on their systems so if I get pulled over again the officer will know that I was pulled over on the 4th February for illegally tinted windscreen? Also if I was stopped again, could I avoid a fine and points by taking off the tint at the roadside?

You say that you were pulled over on the 4th of February, but that's today. The 4th only started 27 minutes ago.
Original post by ItsOnlyASensor
Hey! Your post seems to have a few phrases that pertain to traffic lights and/or red light cameras, so I'm here to answer a few common questions that we see on TSR...

Is this a a sensor or a camera?
I can guarantee that if you've attached a photo to this thread, it's NOT a red light camera, but is in fact just a sensor for monitoring traffic.

I think I ran a red light, will I get a fine?
No one can answer this, sorry! You'll need to wait for 14 days to see if a NIP arrives in the post (there's a few exceptions to the rule, but 14 days is the usual guideline). You need to seriously have a long hard think about what you've done and treat this as a big lesson in paying more attention on the roads, regardless of whether you get a fine or not.

What if someone saw me and reports me?
Nothing will come from it. Stop worrying.

This message was posted automatically by the ItsOnlyASensor bot. If you believe this message was posted in error, please PM this account to provide feedback. Thanks!

My post had nothing to do with cameras...
Original post by Kerzen
You say that you were pulled over on the 4th of February, but that's today. The 4th only started 27 minutes ago.

I meant yesterday the 3rd, my very first time getting pulled in my own car. Im just really tired haha
Mibbie do what the police told you to do, I wouldn't expect any sympathy when they see you next.
Original post by StriderHort
Mibbie do what the police told you to do, I wouldn't expect any sympathy when they see you next.

I'm gonna keep it on hopefully I'll be ok. Usually I go past traffic police and they don't care at all. Guess these undercover ones must've been bored.

But it doesn't make it clear if I will definitely get points or not, because I've heard you don't if you peel it away at the roadside? Does it depend on the officer?
Original post by ItsOnlyASensor
Hey! Your post seems to have a few phrases that pertain to traffic lights and/or red light cameras, so I'm here to answer a few common questions that we see on TSR...

Is this a a sensor or a camera?
I can guarantee that if you've attached a photo to this thread, it's NOT a red light camera, but is in fact just a sensor for monitoring traffic.

I think I ran a red light, will I get a fine?
No one can answer this, sorry! You'll need to wait for 14 days to see if a NIP arrives in the post (there's a few exceptions to the rule, but 14 days is the usual guideline). You need to seriously have a long hard think about what you've done and treat this as a big lesson in paying more attention on the roads, regardless of whether you get a fine or not.

What if someone saw me and reports me?
Nothing will come from it. Stop worrying.

This message was posted automatically by the ItsOnlyASensor bot. If you believe this message was posted in error, please PM this account to provide feedback. Thanks!

We all make mistakes 🤗
(edited 3 years ago)
Wrote the context in the first paragraph, to explain what happened. Got questions in the end. Thank you!

So was in traffic in kings cross, London. I spotted a BMW 5 series estate which was parked on the side of the road facing the main road. My gut instinct was that it is a undercover police car. Drove past them and then they joined the road. They then went through the bus lane (not allowed it's a 24/7 bus lane, but they're police so it's fine) and switched lanes to go behind me. After about 30 seconds they switched on the blue lights and gave me a toot of the siren. I went into the bus lane and pulled over. They went behind me so I knew it's for me. Officer got out and told me my windscreen tint is illegal and I could potentially recieve a fine and 3 points. I decided to play dumb in an effort to get a bit of sympathy and get away with it basically. I told them that the tint man told me its legal. He said unfortunately he sold me down the river. This wasted time. Then a lorry wanted to leave a building site and was getting annoyed cos we were blocking the exit. So the police told me to go on my way and take off the tint ASAP.

Probably not but take the tint off, there are legal limits for a reason:

1) it’s important occupants of the vehicle can be seen for security reasons
2) it obstructs views for other road users. eg/ without dark tint, cars behind you can see break lights of the car in front of you and know to slow down. If the tint blocks this, people don’t have as much warning

Oh and don’t pass the blame onto other people, if you’re old enough to drive a car then you’re old enough to take responsibility :smile:)
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm gonna keep it on hopefully I'll be ok. Usually I go past traffic police and they don't care at all. Guess these undercover ones must've been bored.

Yes that sounds perfectly reasonable, after all what are the chances of getting pulled over fo-... oh.

They'd prob just slap you with points next time, you'd have forfeited your chance to remove it yourself.
I'm gonna keep it on hopefully I'll be ok.

Don't. You're driving a car that you know isn't road legal, and has a defect that could result in an accident. I hope that they do stop, and punish, you.

Why would anyone want a dark tint on the windscreen? You won't look cool mowing down pedestrians.
Original post by Bumble18
Probably not but take the tint off, there are legal limits for a reason:

1) it’s important occupants of the vehicle can be seen for security reasons
2) it obstructs views for other road users. eg/ without dark tint, cars behind you can see break lights of the car in front of you, knowing to slow down. If the tint blocks this, people don’t have as much warning

Oh and don’t pass the blame onto other people, if you’re old enough to drive a car then you’re old enough to take responsibility :smile:)

Yh I'm very unsure about what to do because I do like it and paid quite a bit for it (Got a chameleon colour) but it is illegal
Reply 13
Original post by YaliaV123
We all make mistakes 🤗

😂😂😂
Original post by StriderHort
Yes that sounds perfectly reasonable, after all what are the chances of getting pulled over fo-... oh.

They'd prob just slap you with points next time, you'd have forfeited your chance to remove it yourself.

I doubt these police officers would see me again. I'm usually all over South East and east London, I hardly ever go to north london. But I wonder if they keep it on a file that they stopped me on 3rd feb for tinted windscreen?
Original post by RogerOxon
Don't. You're driving a car that you know isn't road legal, and has a defect that could result in an accident. I hope that they do stop, and punish, you.

Why would anyone want a dark tint on the windscreen? You won't look cool mowing down pedestrians.

It hasn't made it any more difficult for me to drive. If mowing down pedestrians is a concern they should be after phone using drivers. I'd say I'm safer than drivers on their phone because I'm not distracted when I drive
I doubt these police officers would see me again. I'm usually all over South East and east London, I hardly ever go to north london. But I wonder if they keep it on a file that they stopped me on 3rd feb for tinted windscreen?

Yes. The police possess file keeping technology.

You're car obv stands out as chavy and it's only a matter of time before the next stop logically.
Yh I'm very unsure about what to do because I do like it and paid quite a bit for it (Got a chameleon colour) but it is illegal

Why did you pay to make your car illegal? Odd.

What exactly are you "unsure" about? You did something dumb, now fix it, before anyone gets hurt, or worse.
It hasn't made it any more difficult for me to drive. If mowing down pedestrians is a concern they should be after phone using drivers. I'd say I'm safer than drivers on their phone because I'm not distracted when I drive

What about when it's dark? This law makes sense.
Why did you pay to make your car illegal? Odd.

What exactly are you "unsure" about? You did something dumb, now fix it, before anyone gets hurt, or worse.

It looks better with the purpley blue tint than regular glass. But I do agree I think I should remove it for peace of mind

What about when it's dark? This law makes sense.

When it's dark I don't struggle to see. Only when it's pitch black (no streetlights) I struggle seeing out the back of the car but it's not much of an issue anymore cos I got LED reverse light bulbs. But if I was driving on the roads and there's no streetlights I'd be able to see headlights of cars and not crash

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending