The Student Room Group

Chris Whitty pressured by roadman in U.K street!

Yes, this sounds like one of those clickbait self promotion comments you see on instagram. Unfortunately...it is true. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/02/chris-whitty-video-appears-show-verbally-abused-street

Scroll to see replies

He did lie to the nation about masks but that doesn't excuse following him around.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
He did lie to the nation about masks but that doesn't excuse following him around.

He didn't "lie" we genuinely didn't know that much at the time about them

Don't think he deserves to be harassed in the street but can kind of understand why this happened. We've been having lockdowns largely based on their recommendations, and it's caused significant suffering and mental health problems. So if they've been lying to us, I think those lies should be challenged. Although don't approve of the way this person has done it.

I don't think Whittless or Unbalanced are heroes, don't think they are villains either. Think they mean well but they've completely lost perspective and are obsessed with covid, never stopping to think whether the solutions they propose (lockdowns) are more damaging than the virus itself.
Original post by fenton484

He did lie, although in his defence there was a good reason for it. At that time masks were in short supply and if everyone was encouraged to wear them there might not have been enough to supply the NHS.
Reply 5
What is it with these freaks in public who think its okay to abuse and harass civil servants (and others for that matter) whilst sticking a camera phone in their face? Props to him for not whacking the assailant though.
Original post by Napp
What is it with these freaks in public who think its okay to abuse and harass civil servants (and others for that matter) whilst sticking a camera phone in their face? Props to him for not whacking the assailant though.

Calling a liar out on their lies isn't abuse, but agree he shouldn't have been harassed like that on the street.
Is there worse footage than the 28 seconds on twitter? Because all that showed is someone filming him and calling him a liar..

That's far less extreme than I was imagining when I saw the headlines, its hardly that abusive. I'm sure most of us have been called worse from time to time and we aren't even in the public eye.

Anyway, the numpty who filmed it showed his face so if there is anything to come of it, people will know who it is.
Original post by fenton484

Of course we knew, the evidence on masks didn't significantly change between March and June.
Christ Whitty showed great restraint - I expect he was quietly thinking about all the bad things that his influential mates will ensure happen to that loser who obligingly showed his face to camera
Reply 10
Original post by Megacent
Calling a liar out on their lies isn't abuse, but agree he shouldn't have been harassed like that on the street.

Where did he "lie"? And how is what this person did not abuse? Cornering someone in the street and harassing them is the definition..
Don't think he deserves to be harassed in the street but can kind of understand why this happened. We've been having lockdowns largely based on their recommendations, and it's caused significant suffering and mental health problems. So if they've been lying to us, I think those lies should be challenged. Although don't approve of the way this person has done it.

I don't think Whittless or Unbalanced are heroes, don't think they are villains either. Think they mean well but they've completely lost perspective and are obsessed with covid, never stopping to think whether the solutions they propose (lockdowns) are more damaging than the virus itself.

Honestly, do us all a favour and just stop posting for a week or two. Give us a break. It’s like we’ve got eeyore posting on here.

To the subject in hand, personally I think a couple of weeks in what used to be juve would sort people like this out. The kid looks about 16ish. ****ing muppet.
Original post by Napp
Where did he "lie"? And how is what this person did not abuse? Cornering someone in the street and harassing them is the definition..

I can answer that because I did make the original claim.
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1235105792795136002
Reply 13
I can answer that because I did make the original claim.
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1235105792795136002

Ahh gotcha, ta for the source!
Original post by Napp

Agree about not harassing someone in the street, but what did the lad say that you think is abusive?

Didn't see the briefing yesterday but apparently Whittless was asked about the incident and said he didn't think much of it and was surprised it was in the news. Disappointed he never answered the lads question either on the street or when asked about it later. While I don't agree with the way he was confronted, the question itself is fair. People have a right to know why the chief medical officer has lied to the public during a pandemic.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Agree about not harassing someone in the street, but what did the lad say that you think is abusive?

Didn't see the briefing yesterday but apparently Whittless was asked about the incident and said he didn't think much of it and was surprised it was in the news. Disappointed he never answered the lads question either on the street or when asked about it later. While I don't agree with the way he was confronted, the question itself is fair. People have a right to know why the chief medical officer has lied to the public during a pandemic.

It's more the act of screaming at someone in the street i felt was abusive, as opposed to actively swearing at him or what not. Possibly slightly poor phrasing on my part there.

Fair enough on the questioning though, its merely the delivery i took exception to. After all, screaming at politicians is one thing but civil servants is quite another, in my book at least.
Original post by Napp
It's more the act of screaming at someone in the street i felt was abusive, as opposed to actively swearing at him or what not. Possibly slightly poor phrasing on my part there.

Fair enough on the questioning though, its merely the delivery i took exception to. After all, screaming at politicians is one thing but civil servants is quite another, in my book at least.

He's hardly screaming, but yeah agree with you it's not right confronting someone in the street like that.
He's hardly screaming, but yeah agree with you it's not right confronting someone in the street like that.

I would have kicked him in the balls if he got in my face like that, then he'd be screaming
Reply 18
Welp.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9219801/Mother-boy-filmed-abusing-Chris-Whitty-says-appalled-sons-rudeness.html

Apparently he was simply trying to raise awareness of the plight of young people in lockdown.
And his playstation has been confiscated.
He’s probably more scared of his mums reaction than the government tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending