The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York or Brunel ?? help

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MERIAMMARIA
I have received an offer by both of them for biomedical. However I live in London and Brunel is closer to my house than York. On the other hand, York is a Russel group uni and I guess its better but its so far away and I will be by myself. Which uni should I choose? is it worth it to go to York?

In brunel uni I have all my friends there.
University of York
York
I have received an offer by both of them for biomedical. However I live in London and Brunel is closer to my house than York. On the other hand, York is a Russel group uni and I guess its better but its so far away and I will be by myself. Which uni should I choose? is it worth it to go to York?

Don’t base your decision on where your friends are - one of the great things about university is it’s a time to make new friends! But also don’t let the fact York is a RG sway you, as this really isn’t too important at undergrad level.

Which of the courses do you prefer?
London is obviously much busier than York - is that important to you?
London is also more expensive - again, is that an issue for you?
Are the offers the same, and if not which is more feasible for you to achieve? Do you feel the higher grades (if they’re different) are achievable? Would you consider making one your firm choice and one your insurance?

Also remember there’s no rush to make this decision - take your time and consider a whole range of factors.
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Don’t base your decision on where your friends are - one of the great things about university is it’s a time to make new friends! But also don’t let the fact York is a RG sway you, as this really isn’t too important at undergrad level.

Which of the courses do you prefer?
London is obviously much busier than York - is that important to you?
London is also more expensive - again, is that an issue for you?
Are the offers the same, and if not which is more feasible for you to achieve? Do you feel the higher grades (if they’re different) are achievable? Would you consider making one your firm choice and one your insurance?

Also remember there’s no rush to make this decision - take your time and consider a whole range of factors.

What would you choose ?
Original post by Anonymous
What would you choose ?

I attended York so that would be my choice, but that was for a different course entirely, and we’re going to have different preferences of what matters at university. You need to make the decision based off which you prefer.

Hi @MERIAMMARIA :hello:

Thanks for your message and we understand that choosing a university is a difficult decision so please do take your time and consider all the options. Ultimately, choosing the right university for you is your decision and it is where you will be spending the majority of your time over the next few years. So, take your time and make sure it is the right decision for you.

Some things you may want to consider are as follows:

What are the facilities like at both universities - this can be both course facilities and other facilities across the university

Accommodation options

Expense of living in the area

In terms of the course, look at the modules, how it is taught and assessed

Transport links

How far from home do you want to be?

If you are worried about moving far away from home, this is completely normal and many students will be in the same position. Universities do offer lots of support to help students settle in and feel welcome. Although York may seem far away from London, you can actually get back to London via train in 2 hours due to our great rail links.

I hope that these are helpful pointers for you but if you have any further questions please do ask :smile:

Vicki
Student Recruitment Coordinator
Reply 6
Original post by University of York
Hi @MERIAMMARIA :hello:

Thanks for your message and we understand that choosing a university is a difficult decision so please do take your time and consider all the options. Ultimately, choosing the right university for you is your decision and it is where you will be spending the majority of your time over the next few years. So, take your time and make sure it is the right decision for you.

Some things you may want to consider are as follows:

What are the facilities like at both universities - this can be both course facilities and other facilities across the university

Accommodation options

Expense of living in the area

In terms of the course, look at the modules, how it is taught and assessed

Transport links

How far from home do you want to be?

If you are worried about moving far away from home, this is completely normal and many students will be in the same position. Universities do offer lots of support to help students settle in and feel welcome. Although York may seem far away from London, you can actually get back to London via train in 2 hours due to our great rail links.

I hope that these are helpful pointers for you but if you have any further questions please do ask :smile:

Vicki
Student Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you
I attended York so that would be my choice, but that was for a different course entirely, and we’re going to have different preferences of what matters at university. You need to make the decision based off which you prefer.

what course are you attending, if you don’t mind asking
Original post by Anonymous
what course are you attending, if you don’t mind asking

I graduated in 2019, studied politics and sociology
I graduated in 2019, studied politics and sociology

how was your experience there?

Are you mad? York is miles better and is a beautiful city. Brunel is possibly right at the bottom of the list of original pre-1994 unis. There’s no contest.
Original post by Mandible
Are you mad? York is miles better and is a beautiful city. Brunel is possibly right at the bottom of the list of original pre-1994 unis. There’s no

yes but its so far away, I will have to leave alone far away from my family. And I don’t know anyone there imagine if I’m sick who would look after me? lol
I just want to know if its worth it to go there.
Original post by Mandible
Are you mad? York is miles better and is a beautiful city. Brunel is possibly right at the bottom of the list of original pre-1994 unis. There’s no contest.

What does the list mean. What does that have to do with anything ??
Original post by Vanessa03
What does the list mean. What does that have to do with anything ??

exactly ahahha
Brunel is not a bad Uni whatsoever but York is categorically, objectively, and subjectively better in just about every single thing. University is all about taking the next step of independence and making new friends; developing a brand new network and taking a leap of faith.

But if you want arbitrary numbers:

York: Top 15 UK, 150 World.
Brunel: 60 UK, 400 World.
Too late I decided to go brunel 😂. Brunel has a higher employability rate than York and it’s in London
(edited 1 year ago)
Too late I decided to go brunel 😂. Brunel has the highest employment rate and it’s in London

Again, Brunel isn't a bad choice at all. But just about every uni claims it has the highest employment rate. Whether that's a grad placement in that field of study or not is another question not often answered. Cope
Too late I decided to go brunel 😂. Brunel has a higher employability rate than York and it’s in London

hey, did u get all the rquired grades? can i get into brunel thru clearing with a lower grade?
Original post by zik04._
hey, did u get all the rquired grades? can i get into brunel thru clearing with a lower grade?

nothing below BCC and you'll have a good chance. You can get into Exeter with BBC so im sure Brunel can't be too picky.
Original post by zik04._

Idk I had more than the entry requirements but Yh Brunel usually in clearing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending