The Student Room Group

PGDE Art and Design 2021 Entry

Hi everyone, just wanted to see if anyone who has applied for PGDE in Art and Design has heard back from any university's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I've applied too and still waiting.
I've heard back and got interviews for Strathclyde and UWS
Does anyone know how many images should be in the portfolio for Strathclyde PGDE Art and Design?
Reply 4
Original post by teachart1
Does anyone know how many images should be in the portfolio for Strathclyde PGDE Art and Design?

Hello,
I've had my interview for strathclyde, I sent images that strongly showed drawing ability as they seemed to want to see that the most. I'd say anything over 20 images would be excessive but they haven't put a limit so you can't be scrutinised for that.
Best of luck to you!
Reply 5
Hello folks, I applied back in October for Art and Design Secondary PGDE with Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh. I've had my Strathclyde interview (went okay, the interviewer just seemed a bit tired of being on the computer all day interviewing haha) and I have Edinburgh tomorrow, has anyone else had an Edinburgh interview? Also anyone heard anything from Glasgow, bar primary they seem to be very quiet haha! Wishing you all the very best of luck and hopefully we'll be future classmates!
Reply 6
Original post by Ak7723
Hi I've applied too and still waiting.

Hopefully we will both hear back soon!
Reply 7
Original post by sheerheartattaxk
I've heard back and got interviews for Strathclyde and UWS

That’s brilliant congrats! Please let us know how they go!
Reply 8
Original post by Zelda111
Hello folks, I applied back in October for Art and Design Secondary PGDE with Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh. I've had my Strathclyde interview (went okay, the interviewer just seemed a bit tired of being on the computer all day interviewing haha) and I have Edinburgh tomorrow, has anyone else had an Edinburgh interview? Also anyone heard anything from Glasgow, bar primary they seem to be very quiet haha! Wishing you all the very best of luck and hopefully we'll be future classmates!

That’s brilliant! Congratulations on your interviews! What kind of questions were you asked if you don’t mind? And good luck for Edinburgh! I haven’t heard back from Glasgow, though I’m still waiting to hear back from the other unis too!
Reply 9
Original post by Frankiemalu
That’s brilliant! Congratulations on your interviews! What kind of questions were you asked if you don’t mind? And good luck for Edinburgh! I haven’t heard back from Glasgow, though I’m still waiting to hear back from the other unis too!

My interview for Strathclyde was a bit 50/50 for me, they went nearly completely off script in regards to the questions in the email they asked me, didn't like feeling caught out but I think it went okay, as far as it can when its a game of hypothetical classroom situations instead of rehearsed questions and answers like I had prepared. They asked me about my work as an artist, why I want to teach and then some hypotheticals which was only 1 out of 4 that they said they were going to ask on the email. So my advice is rehearse best you can CFE and rely on your previous experience, thats what helped me.
My interview for Strathclyde was a bit 50/50 for me, they went nearly completely off script in regards to the questions in the email they asked me, didn't like feeling caught out but I think it went okay, as far as it can when its a game of hypothetical classroom situations instead of rehearsed questions and answers like I had prepared. They asked me about my work as an artist, why I want to teach and then some hypotheticals which was only 1 out of 4 that they said they were going to ask on the email. So my advice is rehearse best you can CFE and rely on your previous experience, thats what helped me.

Ohh I had no idea they would send questions beforehand, I suppose that’s a good thing in that you can prepare! Although yeah it does seem like they still want to throw in some unexpected questions! I’m sure you did fantastic, it’s often after an interview you feel unsure about how it went! Thank you so much for your reply, if I do happen to get an interview I’ll feel a lot calmer!
Ohh I had no idea they would send questions beforehand, I suppose that’s a good thing in that you can prepare! Although yeah it does seem like they still want to throw in some unexpected questions! I’m sure you did fantastic, it’s often after an interview you feel unsure about how it went! Thank you so much for your reply, if I do happen to get an interview I’ll feel a lot calmer!

Thanks, I hope you hear back soon! I heard a good thing a while ago that always helps me with interviews-
'If you get an interview then you are qualified for the thing you are applying for, they just need to see what you are like after that, so don't worry, be yourself, be professional and be confident cause the person interviewing you thinks you can do it, otherwise you wouldn't have been called for an interview in the first place!'
Best of luck to you! :smile:
Thanks, I hope you hear back soon! I heard a good thing a while ago that always helps me with interviews-
'If you get an interview then you are qualified for the thing you are applying for, they just need to see what you are like after that, so don't worry, be yourself, be professional and be confident cause the person interviewing you thinks you can do it, otherwise you wouldn't have been called for an interview in the first place!'
Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thank you so much! That’s a really good mindset to have I never thought of before! Please let us know if you hear anything and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! 😁 best of luck to you too!
Hello,
I've had my interview for strathclyde, I sent images that strongly showed drawing ability as they seemed to want to see that the most. I'd say anything over 20 images would be excessive but they haven't put a limit so you can't be scrutinised for that.
Best of luck to you!

Thank you! :smile:

Congratulations on getting an interview, are the Strathcylde online interview for this year in groups or individual?
That’s brilliant congrats! Please let us know how they go!

Cheers! I just heard back from UWS with a conditional today (my interview was last friday) and I haven't heard from Strath but my interview was last Wednesday and they said it would be about ten days, I am optimistic though cause the course leader said I had a good portfolio and responses and recommended me some books from the course reading list
Reply 16
Congrats all on your interviews and offers so far!I've applied too - had an interview for Strathclyde but heard nothing otherwise yet.Can I ask what your backgrounds are? My degree is in Fine Art and I found in my interview they grilled me a bit about potential gaps in my knowledge from the design side. Otherwise I think it went well!I forgot to ask how long it might take to hear anything so it's interesting that they told you ten days.
Original post by pcross
Congrats all on your interviews and offers so far!I've applied too - had an interview for Strathclyde but heard nothing otherwise yet.Can I ask what your backgrounds are? My degree is in Fine Art and I found in my interview they grilled me a bit about potential gaps in my knowledge from the design side. Otherwise I think it went well!I forgot to ask how long it might take to hear anything so it's interesting that they told you ten days.

My academic background is in Textile Design but I also have an HNC in Creative Printmaking. I also got asked about knowledge gaps - portraiture and sculpture.

When was your interview? I've still not heard back but it's only been two weeks and obviously they'll have a lot of applications to deal with but even if it doesnt work out UWS was probably gonna be my second choice anyways
Reply 18
Original post by pcross

Oh my goodness this was the exact same as me ! I studied fine art then did my degree in Contemporary Art Practice and the design question was put to me too. I've also got experience teaching an art class to adolescents and young adults with mentoring and am doing the entry to teaching for Graduates just now so I felt pretty clued up and have knowledge of CFE, etc but still felt I got quite grilled on design etc. Only one of the questions were asked that ( what is the difference between teacher education and teacher training) and everything else were new questions and a lot of hypothetical scenarios
Reply 19
Original post by sheerheartattaxk
My academic background is in Textile Design but I also have an HNC in Creative Printmaking. I also got asked about knowledge gaps - portraiture and sculpture.

When was your interview? I've still not heard back but it's only been two weeks and obviously they'll have a lot of applications to deal with but even if it doesnt work out UWS was probably gonna be my second choice anyways

Oh, that's good to know!

Mine was only last week so it hasn't been long, I'm just itching to find out! I'm based in Glasgow so I'm hoping for either Glasgow or Strathclyde for commute convenience. Strathclyde has such a good reputation but I have a friend who studied her PGDE Art & Design there and said if she were to do it again she would have chosen Glasgow so I'm not sure what I'll do if I have the choice. Great that you have an offer already - takes the pressure off a little!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending