The Student Room Group

Is Private school "generally" worth it?

now I don't mean if its worth financially (because realistically no one who has doesn't have a spare 40k a year, would consider sending there child to private school). But I'm talking from,

- Would the teaching quality be that much better?
- would the resources/funding be a lot better?
- would the general environment be a lot more clean/beautiful than a typical school playground?

most private school kids that I have met don't seem to think private school was all that great until I tell them about the "normal" secondary school and they are in shock.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FakeNobody
now I don't mean if its worth financially (because realistically no one who has doesn't have a spare 40k a year, would consider sending there child to private school). But I'm talking from,

- Would the teaching quality be that much better?
- would the resources/funding be a lot better?
- would the general environment be a lot more clean/beautiful than a typical school playground?

most private school kids that I have met don't seem to think private school was all that great until I tell them about the "normal" secondary school and they are in shock.

Well if you can't afford it there are bursaries available.
Private school is definitely worth it in my opinion. All the top unis are filled with ex private school kids - 40% of Bristol University students went to private school! That says everything!
Reply 3
Original post by yeye21
Well if you can't afford it there are bursaries available.

the issue is that most of those bursaries only slice the cost. its still like 9k-15k so way more than the average person could afford a year. I estimate you must be earning atleast 50k if you want to send your kid to private school
Yes
the issue is that most of those bursaries only slice the cost. its still like 9k-15k so way more than the average person could afford a year. I estimate you must be earning atleast 50k if you want to send your kid to private school

No - Private schools employ unqualified teachers so teaching is not better.

I've worked at one and state schools; the teaching was/is FAR better at the state schools.
Reply 6
Yeah, it's not even close.

The average state school is terrible and I only realised that once I left my 'good' state school to attend a low ranking private school.
private school definitely give people an advantage with better teaching and resources, but i think people can succeed just as well in state schools
Original post by Muttley79
No - Private schools employ unqualified teachers so teaching is not better.

I've worked at one and state schools; the teaching was/is FAR better at the state schools.

why are you so pro state schools? Like I am not saying the teaching isn't good at state schools but saying that it is 'far better than private schools' might be a bit of a stretch.

I do believe there are good teachers and not so good teachers no matter where you go
Reply 9
Original post by yeye21
why are you so pro state schools? Like I am not saying the teaching isn't good at state schools but saying that it is 'far better than private schools' might be a bit of a stretch.

I do believe there are good teachers and not so good teachers no matter where you go

Another thing Is playing the chance game. for example, I would estimate 40/60 of state schools are bad/good where as 80/20 of private schools are good/bad.
Another thing Is playing the chance game. for example, I would estimate 40/60 of state schools are bad/good where as 80/20 of private schools are good/bad.

exactly!! so many bad state schools out there but most private schools are pretty decent
Original post by casabonita
exactly!! so many bad state schools out there but most private schools are pretty decent

@Muttley79 would disagree
Original post by yeye21

I've taught in both - I've been 'employed' by a Private school [on secondment from my current post] to improve their teachers. I've also run training in several Prvate schools. It's a fact that Private school teachers don't have to be qualified ... most of their inspections are done 'in house' by other Private schools not by Ofsted.
even though people who go to private schools tend to have an advantage, i wouldnt say it would be worth that amount of money
i dont think private schools should exist but i guess thats another topic..
Original post by casabonita

Nope - the one near me is so bad the students get contextual offers as A level results are poor.
Nope - the one near me is so bad the students get contextual offers as A level results are poor.

the one near you is not every private school in the UK
Original post by yeye21

im actually considering westminister , is that a private school that you have any knowledge on?

But that's just a one off case. You don't pay X thousand pounds a year for worse teaching.

The facilities and resources are better at private schools so even if the teaching quality is the same as state schools, you will get a better education at a private school. Still not worth it financially though.
im actually considering westminister , is that a private school that you have any knowledge on?

That's not just an ordinary private school, that's a top public school.
Original post by yeye21

No and it's not the only one on the list either. Why do you think a number of schools are paying my school for me to go and train their teachers?

Do you really think parents understand that they are paying for you to be taught by unqualified teachers?

Latest

Trending

Trending