The Student Room Group

A level summer resit 2021

Hi, does anyone here from 2020 a level badge who's retaking in summer 2021?
So currently I'm in a gap year and I'm not sure how to apply for universities if we're taking a levels in private. Also for predicted grades, do we have to put the calculated grade we got from the school in summer? Like can't we make it higher? My calculated grades are so sh**t but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get A*A*A at least. But I cant apply for universities for next year if I have to use the calculated grades.
Can anyone give me advice regarding this please.
Also I'm looking forward to apply for chemical engineering at ICL, UCL, Birmingham, Nottingham....Is there any other good recommendations for ChemEng? Do you guys think I'd have a chance at the unis I've mentioned above if resit my exams?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You do not add your predicted grades - you school/college does that.
Original post by McGinger

Ohh ok thanks
Original post by McGinger

What if I’m applying as a individual
Original post by Antimatter123
What if I’m applying as a individual

You’ll still be asked to provide details of an academic referee. You’ll need to check with them if they are happy to provide predictions.
My school said my summer predictions will be 1 higher than cag.
Original post by sanuka twinkle
So currently I'm in a gap year and I'm not sure how to apply for universities if we're taking a levels in private. Also for predicted grades, do we have to put the calculated grade we got from the school in summer? Like can't we make it higher? My calculated grades are so sh**t but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get A*A*A at least. But I cant apply for universities for next year if I have to use the calculated grades.
Also I'm looking forward to apply for chemical engineering at ICL, UCL, Birmingham, Nottingham....Is there any other good recommendations for ChemEng? Do you guys think I'd have a chance at the unis I've mentioned above if resit my exams?

Currently in the same situation as you aha, got BBC and planning on retaking all 3 of my subjects during the summer of 2021. In regards to your odds of getting in, I would definitely email the admissions team of every uni you are planning on applying to. For pharmacology (which is the course im applying for), UCL said that they do consider 2021 exams resits while KCL, Manchester and Leeds do not. Not sure about the unis you've mentioned but every course differs so I would really recommend sending an email over to ease your anxiety :smile:
Original post by gordonchong
Currently in the same situation as you aha, got BBC and planning on retaking all 3 of my subjects during the summer of 2021. In regards to your odds of getting in, I would definitely email the admissions team of every uni you are planning on applying to. For pharmacology (which is the course im applying for), UCL said that they do consider 2021 exams resits while KCL, Manchester and Leeds do not. Not sure about the unis you've mentioned but every course differs so I would really recommend sending an email over to ease your anxiety :smile:

I’m planning on applying ucl and sitting 2021 exams for one sub. If they consider the 2021 exams are resits does it mean its very unlikely of receiving an offer?
Original post by sanuka twinkle

Hey I am also on a gap year and I will be resitting my alevels this year. I had recieved A*BB. I am applying for International Relation and unis I want to go to require AAB which means I need to resit one alevel . What CAGS did you receive? Have you emailed the unis that said they will not accept resits because I have found the unis that stated on their website they don't accept resits when I emailed them they said they would due to the fact I never actually took the exams they said they would accept me as a resit applicant.

Have you called the college or sixth form you attended because they may be able to support the UCAS process. Also did you apply to UCAS last year because if so I've heard that if you call UCAS they will transfer all your details/ references to this years UCAS. Also what do you mean by not being able to apply for uni next year?
Original post by Ferrari08
I’m planning on applying ucl and sitting 2021 exams for one sub. If they consider the 2021 exams are resits does it mean its very unlikely of receiving an offer?

It differs from course to course - the admissions team of your course might not consider the 2021 exams resits. Email UCL admissions, tell them specifically what course you intend on applying for and ask what you want to know. Simple as that :smile:
do you still have to list your cags? what if they were unfair and what you aren't capable of achieving? does this mean then that universities such as UCL won't accept you because of your cags even though you are sitting in summer 2021?
Original post by BluePurpSky
do you still have to list your cags? what if they were unfair and what you aren't capable of achieving? does this mean then that universities such as UCL won't accept you because of your cags even though you are sitting in summer 2021?

Yes, the CAGs are awarded grades so need to be listed like any other qualification. Universities are aware that they might not be representative and that any pending quals are not necessarily 'resits' in the traditional sense.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, the CAGs are awarded grades so need to be listed like any other qualification. Universities are aware that they might not be representative and that any pending quals are not necessarily 'resits' in the traditional sense.

thank you for your reply. It brought me some comfort
Original post by gordonchong

So whats your situation now? Have you applied? How are you gonna get a grade in the summer?
Reply 14
Original post by coffeerush24
Hey I am also on a gap year and I will be resitting my alevels this year. I had recieved A*BB. I am applying for International Relation and unis I want to go to require AAB which means I need to resit one alevel . What CAGS did you receive? Have you emailed the unis that said they will not accept resits because I have found the unis that stated on their website they don't accept resits when I emailed them they said they would due to the fact I never actually took the exams they said they would accept me as a resit applicant.

Have you called the college or sixth form you attended because they may be able to support the UCAS process. Also did you apply to UCAS last year because if so I've heard that if you call UCAS they will transfer all your details/ references to this years UCAS. Also what do you mean by not being able to apply for uni next year?

Hey there, I just found this thread and I'm in the exact same situation as you. I applied for IR and received AAC (+ an A in EPQ) in summer 2020 and will be resitting in the subject where I received the C and my predicted grade is an A. From all the universities I've applied to they've stated on their websites that resit students will still be considered, however, recently I was unsuccessful with my application to manchester, their reason being I did not meet their requirements.... I have emailed them asking for feedback just to get more clarification as to why it was unsuccessful but I have feeling it because I am a resit student. I don't know, even though I researched the unis before applying whether they still consider resit students and they do but I have some doubt... How's it been with you in terms of applying as a resit student? Would really appreciate some advice or anything, feel like this whole resit experience and application cycle has been an absolute nightmare. :frown:
Original post by RCA09
Hey there, I just found this thread and I'm in the exact same situation as you. I applied for IR and received AAC (+ an A in EPQ) in summer 2020 and will be resitting in the subject where I received the C and my predicted grade is an A. From all the universities I've applied to they've stated on their websites that resit students will still be considered, however, recently I was unsuccessful with my application to manchester, their reason being I did not meet their requirements.... I have emailed them asking for feedback just to get more clarification as to why it was unsuccessful but I have feeling it because I am a resit student. I don't know, even though I researched the unis before applying whether they still consider resit students and they do but I have some doubt... How's it been with you in terms of applying as a resit student? Would really appreciate some advice or anything, feel like this whole resit experience and application cycle has been an absolute nightmare. :frown:

Hey, just to clarify when you say you are a resit you mean your of the 2020 cohort and were planning to retake your a-level as a private student in may? Sorry sounds like a dumb question but I think I’m in a similar boat to you guys so just to be sure 😭
Reply 16
Original post by Mkbedford
Hey, just to clarify when you say you are a resit you mean your of the 2020 cohort and were planning to retake your a-level as a private student in may? Sorry sounds like a dumb question but I think I’m in a similar boat to you guys so just to be sure 😭

Hey there, no not a dumb question at all! I am in fact from the 2020 cohort, I contacted my former school in January as I did attempt the October exams but came back with the same grade :s-smilie: To be fair there wasn't an ample amount of time in between the time I decided to take the year out and do the exams but it was learning experience, I guess that sometimes things don't necessarily work out even though it would make life a lot easier. Essentially I contacted my former school stating that I was not happy with my October result and wanted to try again in the summer and requested to join as a part-time student in order to produce academic evidence since the exams got cancelled and the government was not clear about what would happen with private candidates. I hope this helps and even though its odd to say I''m glad there are others experiencing this alongside myself definitely eases my anxiety ahaha
Original post by RCA09
Hey there, no not a dumb question at all! I am in fact from the 2020 cohort, I contacted my former school in January as I did attempt the October exams but came back with the same grade :s-smilie: To be fair there wasn't an ample amount of time in between the time I decided to take the year out and do the exams but it was learning experience, I guess that sometimes things don't necessarily work out even though it would make life a lot easier. Essentially I contacted my former school stating that I was not happy with my October result and wanted to try again in the summer and requested to join as a part-time student in order to produce academic evidence since the exams got cancelled and the government was not clear about what would happen with private candidates. I hope this helps and even though its odd to say I''m glad there are others experiencing this alongside myself definitely eases my anxiety ahaha

I’m very relieved you say this, I’ve had the same issues so I’m happy I clarified lol. I got UDC which turned to UDB from my centre which was useless seeing as I wanted to go to Loughborough to study economics which required AAB, I resat the economics (I got a D originally) and received a B, I completely understand why few people sat them as I must say I’ve never cried as much in my life. I payed for a online sociology course which I was going to take in may as I had received a U in maths and no way was I putting myself through that hell again. I also had payed for a couple sessions with a tutor before the October resits. When it came to raising my predicted my previous eco teacher refused to give me a higher predicted grade than that I’d already received and I had to bypass her by begging the college to except my tutors grades😭 (I eventually got predicted the 2 As I needed). Anyways I’m defo rambling it’s just refreshing to find people in similar situations. I was going to say although I was aiming to study a completely different topic that I had received a contextual offer for Manchester for Economics (AAB) in the past week, maybe there was an entry requirement on the website you missed? Ik a lot have certain GCSE requirement but definitely was a good choice to contact them, maybe they Will be lenient.
Reply 18
Original post by Mkbedford
I’m very relieved you say this, I’ve had the same issues so I’m happy I clarified lol. I got UDC which turned to UDB from my centre which was useless seeing as I wanted to go to Loughborough to study economics which required AAB, I resat the economics (I got a D originally) and received a B, I completely understand why few people sat them as I must say I’ve never cried as much in my life. I payed for a online sociology course which I was going to take in may as I had received a U in maths and no way was I putting myself through that hell again. I also had payed for a couple sessions with a tutor before the October resits. When it came to raising my predicted my previous eco teacher refused to give me a higher predicted grade than that I’d already received and I had to bypass her by begging the college to except my tutors grades😭 (I eventually got predicted the 2 As I needed). Anyways I’m defo rambling it’s just refreshing to find people in similar situations. I was going to say although I was aiming to study a completely different topic that I had received a contextual offer for Manchester for Economics (AAB) in the past week, maybe there was an entry requirement on the website you missed? Ik a lot have certain GCSE requirement but definitely was a good choice to contact them, maybe they Will be lenient.

That's great you got the predictions that you needed!! The feeling is mutual in terms of feeling relieved, honestly felt like I was the only one as the people around me are already at uni or on a gap year but have amazing grades lmfaoooo. Anywho manchester's typical requirement was AAB so idk was kinda taken aback that their reason was because of my grades, hopefully, they'll get back to me soon but of course onwards and upwards, still have 4 more choices to get back to me! I hope my next ucas update is an offer because manny has made me form some sorta complex now because I've also applied to UCL and Bath... I guess I'm really trying not to get attached or get my hopes up. I just want the weekend to come so I know I have 48 hours full of zero stress that an update may come through.
Original post by RCA09
That's great you got the predictions that you needed!! The feeling is mutual in terms of feeling relieved, honestly felt like I was the only one as the people around me are already at uni or on a gap year but have amazing grades lmfaoooo. Anywho manchester's typical requirement was AAB so idk was kinda taken aback that their reason was because of my grades, hopefully, they'll get back to me soon but of course onwards and upwards, still have 4 more choices to get back to me! I hope my next ucas update is an offer because manny has made me form some sorta complex now because I've also applied to UCL and Bath... I guess I'm really trying not to get attached or get my hopes up. I just want the weekend to come so I know I have 48 hours full of zero stress that an update may come through.

Omg samee, so many people I know also just went off to any old uni that would take them cause they didn’t want to resit anything. Honestly it shows so much about your character if you have enough resilience to go through all this to get were you wanna be. That’s somethinf money can never buy 😙. Domt take the Manchester thing to heart cause I cannot understand how what happened unless there was a error on ur application or their part so wishing you the best of luck the rest of your applications. Out of curiousitt what was your epq on?

Quick Reply

Latest