The Student Room Group

China and the systematic rape of Muslim Uighur women prisoners.

'Their goal is to destroy everyone': Uighur camp detainees allege systematic rape - BBC News

I read this on the BBC first thing this morning and just checked on here (10pm) to see what was being said about it, only to find that it wasn't even on the news forum.
If this was The US or even any other Western country come to that, we would quite rightly be on the 10th page of condemnation.
Why does China get a free pass for the shocking ands vile stuff it does?

Scroll to see replies

Because they're a member of the UN security council and tell anyone else to f off when they interfere basically. They don't seem to much care what we think and we haven't much leverage. Gristly reading as it is, it's not like this is some new level of depravity for their political and security apparatus. :frown:
Reply 2
Why? Simple they pull the purse strings. You dont spit in your bankers face, especially when the British economy has evaporated :lol:
Don't get me wrong, what the Chinese are doing is on a par with what the Japs did and in a just world i wouldnt object to seeing Abrams tanks rolling through Tiananmen square with the CCP strung up from lampposts. Alas, in the real world 'might makes right' as far as governments are concerned and there isnt a dickiebird we can do about it. Not least because the only alternative to China (America) is not a bastion of morals anymore and has abrogated their global role for quite some time now. Merely look at the offensive gesture they did to the Asian OBOR states when they offered them a risible hundred million (or some other rounding error) compared to Chinas hundreds of billions. In the world of realism and realpolitik money talks.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Because they're a member of the UN security council and tell anyone else to f off when they interfere basically. They don't seem to much care what we think and we haven't much leverage. Gristly reading as it is, it's not like this is some new level of depravity for their political and security apparatus. :frown:

Ha unfortunately this is positively polite behaviour by them. With the CCP relatively speaking making Stalin look like 'good old uncle joe' with the genocides and mass murder theyve committed in the past, and present.
Reply 4
Original post by caravaggio2
'Their goal is to destroy everyone': Uighur camp detainees allege systematic rape - BBC News

I read this on the BBC first thing this morning and just checked on here (10pm) to see what was being said about it, only to find that it wasn't even on the news forum.
If this was The US or even any other Western country come to that, we would quite rightly be on the 10th page of condemnation.

It's surprising, but not massively surprising as after all it is China...

Whereas if it was the UK or US (with much better human rights record) it would be massively surprising and therefore garner more attention.

I saw the article last night .... and whilst I do sometimes post news stories which catch my eye ..if i'm being honest it never even crossed my mind for a split second to post this one.

Because modern capitalism is dependent on China.

The likes of the British government will only ever give slight admonishments due to there being too many financial interests involved.
Reply 6
Original post by Calibrated.

The likes of the British government will only ever give slight admonishments due to there being too many financial interests involved.

Alas, a tale as old as time. The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must.
Reply 7
Because sugar daddy China will stop giving money to anyone who speaks up
Sorry, I don't mean the authorities or other countries I mean the lack of response on here.
It had been in the news all day. It was on the front page of the BBC website from first thing. Yet at 10pm not a dicky bird about it on here. As I said, if this was the US or even any other Western country come to that, we would quite rightly be on the 10th page of condemnation.
Why does China get a free pass here for the shocking and vile stuff it does?
(edited 3 years ago)

Because there isn't a lot that can be said that hasn't already been said on here. I think pretty much everyone condemns it but the fact remains no Western power will ever do anything beyond strong condemnation because we rely of Chinese trade and manufacturing.
Politics as usual, makes it incredibly difficult when the world relies on China for cheap labour
Sorry, I don't mean the authorities or other countries I mean the lack of response on here.
It had been in the news all day. It was on the front page of the BBC website from first thing. Yet at 10pm not a dicky bird about it on here. As I said, if this was the US or even any other Western country come to that, we would quite rightly be on the 10th page of condemnation.

The post above yours is the why. :tongue:

Oh I think we are all aware the thread is intended as a snide statement to people here.

In the nicest way possible, I do not take my social awareness or cues from Daily Mail readers :redface:
I’d also like to highlight that this isn’t just happening to Uighur Muslims but also Chinese Christians. It’s treatment of minorities is one that cannot be allowed to continue and honestly I do see war with China in the future inevitable
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Calibrated.

We don't have to rely on the British govt to do anything - we the people can - we can vote and we can stop buying anything made in Chine or that is sold through China - do your research before buying products - make a difference however small.
Original post by mike44
We don't have to rely on the British govt to do anything - we the people can - we can vote and we can stop buying anything made in Chine or that is sold through China - do your research before buying products - make a difference however small.

Every person on here has something made in China most people like their cheap Chinese white goods.
You look like someone trying to get a thread closed
Really, I thought on another thread you said were born here, Well I know you are supposed to be industrious but just shy of 3000 posts in 2 months seems an awful lot, especially when amongst them are multiple lengthy posts one or two minutes apart. Are you sure you aren't sharing the load?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by looloo2134
Every person on here has something made in China most people like their cheap Chinese white goods.

Then we are all an absolute disgrace!
Reply 19
Uighurs: Western countries sanction China over rights abuses

The sanctions were introduced as a coordinated effort by the European Union, UK, US and Canada.

China responded with its own sanctions on European officials.

It has denied the allegations of abuse, claiming the camps are "re-education" facilities used to combat terrorism.

But UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the treatment of Uighurs amounted to "appalling violations of the most basic human rights".

The EU has not imposed new sanctions on China over human rights abuses since the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, when troops in Beijing opened fire on pro-democracy protesters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending