The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate Application Thread 2021

Hi!
Any postgrad hopefuls out there? I didn't see any other active threads for postgraduate students here, so let's go!

Scroll to see replies

Still waiting for an offer, what did you apply for?
Reply 2
I applied to the MSc Cognitive Science programme, they mentioned they would send most decisions after the deadline for that (March 31st).
How about you?
Reply 3
Anyone applied for PhD in Linguistics or CDT-NLP? I am still waiting for the results.
Hello everyone!
I applied for the MSc in Applied Linguistics before the February deadline. I was informed that I can expect to receive a decision by the 31st of March, but does anyone know how likely it is to hear back by mid-February?
Reply 5
Thanks for making this thread! I’ve been waiting for a postgrad one to pop up haha. I applied in mid January to an MSc in art history! Haven’t heard back yet just checking MyEd 3x a day.
Reply 6
Hi! I have an unconditional offer for the MSc in Medieval history! Thank you for making this thread. It’s nice to hear from other postgraduate students
H guys, I received my rejection letter this Monday for my MSc in economics. best of luck to everyone that is starting this September or is still waiting for an offer.
Reply 8
Anyone know how much the personal statement is weighted compared to undergrad grades and one’s recommendation? I’m from the US and I’m worried I wrote my personal statement too anecdotally (which I’m used to doing so here). I’m proud of my statement, but have no idea if it was typical or what is expected. I have a great recommendation from a former professor and strong GPA and graduated with honors. But I’m making myself go crazy worried about my statement!
Reply 9
Original post by 2455left
Anyone know how much the personal statement is weighted compared to undergrad grades and one’s recommendation? I’m from the US and I’m worried I wrote my personal statement too anecdotally (which I’m used to doing so here). I’m proud of my statement, but have no idea if it was typical or what is expected. I have a great recommendation from a former professor and strong GPA and graduated with honors. But I’m making myself go crazy worried about my statement!

I'm an international student, so I'm not very sure, but I know there is a difference in how people write statements of purpose between the US and UK - however, I don't think it is that evident at a postgrad level, since they are reviewed by the department and professors you will be associated with. So, if you've written a statement that you are proud of, I'm sure that it will be considered a strong one on both sides of the Atlantic 😁

I believe that European unis tend to give higher weightage to grades, and you've got a strong GPA. Stop worrying, you'll be fine!
Reply 10
Got a conditional offer today for an Msc humanities program. I have been wondering about the quality of the program though because the application did not require me to submit a writing sample, which is rare, especially in the humanities.
Reply 11
Hey All, I was just wondering as to when you applied to Edinburgh, on the qualifications section of your appliction (after you applied) as to whether the subject you are studying is shown. For some reason mine is not, however the university I am currently at is.
Reply 12
Original post by Joefin
Hey All, I was just wondering as to when you applied to Edinburgh, on the qualifications section of your appliction (after you applied) as to whether the subject you are studying is shown. For some reason mine is not, however the university I am currently at is.

I applied exactly a month ago and received an offer today. In my case, the subject was not shown in the qualifications section; it was just a generic question I had to answer.
I'm started to get a bit frustrated :/ I applied to Edinburgh in early December and my status is still at "new". None of my documents have been checked so I doubt they've even looked at my application. I'm an international applicant and I've emailed the admissions department but have gotten no response back (now going on 2 weeks with no response). I absolutely understand everything is a bit behind because of covid but I'm just starting to get a bit worried seeing as I have a deadline to accept my Glasgow offer coming up. I just wish they would at least review my documents so I know SOMETHING is happening.
Reply 14
Original post by Brookej0hnson
I'm started to get a bit frustrated :/ I applied to Edinburgh in early December and my status is still at "new". None of my documents have been checked so I doubt they've even looked at my application. I'm an international applicant and I've emailed the admissions department but have gotten no response back (now going on 2 weeks with no response). I absolutely understand everything is a bit behind because of covid but I'm just starting to get a bit worried seeing as I have a deadline to accept my Glasgow offer coming up. I just wish they would at least review my documents so I know SOMETHING is happening.

I contacted the admissions department as well because it seemed as if none of my submitted documents had been verified. It took them about two weeks to apply. I would suggest contacting them, or maybe someone else in tech support. It is my impression that they're a bit disorganized and generally very slow to respond. It may also be that they're receiving a large number of applications at this time of the year and they're processing things slowly. I doubt your application has somehow vanished into thin air though, even if it the whole thing feels very frustrating!
Original post by Sunlmn
I contacted the admissions department as well because it seemed as if none of my submitted documents had been verified. It took them about two weeks to apply. I would suggest contacting them, or maybe someone else in tech support. It is my impression that they're a bit disorganized and generally very slow to respond. It may also be that they're receiving a large number of applications at this time of the year and they're processing things slowly. I doubt your application has somehow vanished into thin air though, even if it the whole thing feels very frustrating!

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to comment! I'm sorry you've also experienced this. It makes sense that they are unorganized since I'm sure most (if not all) are working from home. I guess I just have to be patient. Did your status eventually change after speaking with them?
Reply 16
Original post by Brookej0hnson
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to comment! I'm sorry you've also experienced this. It makes sense that they are unorganized since I'm sure most (if not all) are working from home. I guess I just have to be patient. Did your status eventually change after speaking with them?

Yes, the status changed: the reference letter my professor had submitted switched from "sent; not verified" to "verified." I think the other documents (transcripts, etc.) got verified the following day. I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

I also suspect that certain programs that are more popular or receive more applicants than others take longer to respond. I don't know about you, but I applied to a humanities program, which may not be as popular as the STEM ones...
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sunlmn
Yes, the status changed: the reference letter my professor had submitted switched from "sent; not verified" to "verified." I think the other documents (transcripts, etc.) got verified the following day. I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

I also suspect that certain programs that are more popular or receive more applicants than others take longer to respond. I don't know about you, but I applied to a humanities program, which may not be as popular as the STEM ones...

Yeah I applied for a social and political science program which I feel would be pretty popular. I guess I had it in my head that because I'm an international applicant I'd hear back more quickly lol!
still waiting for a decision for my MSc Comp Sci application :/ its been quite a while since i applied, has anyone heard from them for CS.??
rejected from imperial... got offers from Leeds and QMUL.. fingers crossed for Edinburgh :smile:
Reply 19
Today my application status went from “being processed” to “ready for a decision.” As if I wasn’t already checking EUCLID enough....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending