The Student Room Group

Choosing GCSE subjects

I would like to become a General Practitioner/Doctor i would like to ask, what GCSE subjects should i choose?
you wanna be a doctor?

ok, so you'll need:

three A levels at grade A in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths, plus another academic subject.
Reply 2
Original post by superbo9y
you wanna be a doctor?

ok, so you'll need:

three A levels at grade A in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths, plus another academic subject.

OP is asking for GCSE choices not A Levels :u:
sorry, thats a levels

for GCSE:

seven GCSEs, including sciences, with 5 subjects at grades 9 to 7 (A* or A) and English and maths at least grade 6 to 5 (B)

triple science recommended but not a big fuss at GCSE
so at GCSE

There are no requirements for any GCSE's - don't worry basically - i.e pick whatever you want!
Triple Science is the only subject that will help you learn more concepts in preparation for A-Levels, so that is recommended

other than that - there is nothing more to say
Hey I think you'd really like this YouTuber called Sen Kath - he's studying medicine at Cambridge and makes videos about GCSEs, A-levels and studying in relation to medicine

This one's about GCSEs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9yPOu9UHc
Try to do triple science if you can. That means you will get separate Chemistry, Biology and Physics GCSE’s which is very useful as you will need to do A Level Chemistry and usually A Level Biology as well. As for your other options it is up to you since you will have to do maths and english anyway but pick ones you are good at as a lot of medical schools consider your GCSE grades in their selection process.

Keep in mind you will require a B(6) in english and an A (7) in maths GCSE for most medical schools.
Reply 7
Original post by superbo9y
sorry, thats a levels

for GCSE:

seven GCSEs, including sciences, with 5 subjects at grades 9 to 7 (A* or A) and English and maths at least grade 6 to 5 (B)

triple science recommended but not a big fuss at GCSE

Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by RS1810
I would like to become a General Practitioner/Doctor i would like to ask, what GCSE subjects should i choose?

Hi there! You just need to get good grades in your science and maths - typically grade 6. You need to pass a good 5 to 7 GCSES at least (if you're doing combined Science that counts for 2 GCSES.) Basically all above 5 or 6 but real emphasis on Maths and Science and a good pass in english. Your options don't matter that much but they like to see Health & Social Care, History, French, RE, Food Technology & Preparation. Basically do something you're passionate about and something that has skills that could link slightly. I hope this helps : )
I’m in the exact same position as you, would anyone recommend doing health and social?

Quick Reply

Latest