The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Is it really worth going to Teesside with how much of a shithole Middlesbrough is

From what I've seen Teesside has one of the highest crime rates of any Uni area, apparently there are a ton of homeless people squatting near the uni and break-ins are common. Not to mention the dull-looking surrounding area.

I firmed my Teesside choice last week because the course is the best out of all the ones I looked at. If you know any facts that would make me feel less worried about life in Middlesbrough, please let me know.
Reply 1
Original post by Quady
LOLZ

u must bee megathicko

There was really no other option on my application I wanted to study and I wanted to firm it ASAP so I can secure good accomodation
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
From what I've seen Teesside has one of the highest crime rates of any Uni area, apparently there are a ton of homeless people squatting near the uni and break-ins are common. Not to mention the dull-looking surrounding area.

I firmed my Teesside choice last week because the course is the best out of all the ones I looked at. If you know any facts that would make me feel less worried about life in Middlesbrough, please let me know.

Maybe don't believe what you read or hear about it in the media and actually come and visit first.

The town centre is a bit of a shithole yes, aren't most town centres though? Just a short drive away you have miles of absolutely beautiful countryside, seriously North Yorkshire has some truly stunning views. Buses go to Newcastle frequently if Middlesbrough doesn't have enough upmarket shopping choices for you (although you'd be surprised at how many designer stores there are in the town centre!)

If the course here is the best one available then you have to decide if it's worth it. I used to work as campus security for a bit years ago and honestly, break-ins weren't that frequent, the worst thing we usually had to deal with was fire alarms going off from people using toasters or portable stoves in their bedrooms!

(Kudos to you for spelling Teesside correctly though, most people don't.)
(edited 3 years ago)

As someone who's not from up North and only came here to attend uni at Teesside. In my opinion the actual uni is quite nice, this is my 5th year here and I enjoy my course. The surrounding area is extremely deprived and downtrodden compared to other places in the UK. Living in halls was okay but my quality of life went down considerably when I moved to a privately rented house near the uni. There's at least 3 drug dens on my street that I know of, just walking to uni I get harassed a lot. God help you if you're not white because the amount of racist abuse I get just walking through town sometimes is something else. I've been followed around on four separate occasions as well. As nice as the actual university is given the chance to go back I would 100% choose somewhere else just for the poor quality of life I've experienced living here.
Reply 4
this is my 5th year here and I enjoy my course

LOLZ
Reply 5
I've been followed around on four separate occasions as well.

Are you female?
Are you female?

Yes I am
Reply 7
Yes I am

ah so since I'm male I'm slightly lucky I won't have to deal with as many stalking cases
Going to any uni is worth it if you're willing to put the effort in and drive yourself to succeed. Nobody else will. The tutors won't. To them, you're part of a filter system. Course starts with X students and ends with X students. The start and end numbers are never the same and the latter is much smaller than the former. So... is it really worth going to any uni? That's up to the one asking the question. Go, study, expand on knowledge that is given. Then develop your own skills and knowledge based on the little guidance and maybe you will succeed. Doesn't matter where you do it because if you want to be the top who actually make it and make it worthwhile then you have to be in the top few who are worth looking at. Be that and you might find that any shithole that you study in is not that bad since you spent most of your time on yourself rather than "The experience". We all know what that means.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending