The Student Room Group

How do I know my blood type/group?

I’ve been wanting to know my blood type for a long time now and went on the internet to see how I could do that, the NHS only mentions blood testing for Blood Transfusions and Blood Donation, I am not doing neither and just simply want to test to see what my blood type is in case of an emergency or something, is this possible (obviously after the pandemic)? Has anyone found out their blood type before for free?
Reply 1
I found out when I first donated blood - I believe it’s one of the only/ standard ways to find out.

You can buy online blood type tests but of course, I don’t know the accuracy and it’s not free.

In an emergency setting, if it’s not known, you’ll be given the universal donation anyway so you don’t ‘need’ to know it, as such.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bexjw
I found out when I first donated blood - I believe it’s one of the only/ standard ways to find out.

You can buy online blood type tests but of course, I don’t know the accuracy and it’s not free.

In an emergency setting, if it’s not known, you’ll be given the universal donation anyway so you don’t ‘need’ to know it, as such.

Okay, thank you so much!
I got a test on eBay, it cost me under £10. Looking at how it works, I suspect it is pretty accurate (though it's not the easiest to interpret).
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I got a test on eBay, it cost me under £10. Looking at how it works, I suspect it is pretty accurate (though it's not the easiest to interpret).

How does it work?
if you've ever gotten your blood drawn for any sort of bloodwork before it should be in your medical records.
Reply 6
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
if you've ever gotten your blood drawn for any sort of bloodwork before it should be in your medical records.

I’ve never gotten my blood drawn out before.
How does it work?

It uses monoclonal antibodies
Original post by 64Lightbulbs

No, it is not done routinely as part of other blood work. It is only done in situations when a blood transfusion is being considered, or for pregnant women.
It uses monoclonal antibodies

No, it is not done routinely as part of other blood work. It is only done in situations when a blood transfusion is being considered, or for pregnant women.

really? might just be a US thing but my blood type was recorded at like 8 ish months cause i got some blood drawn for some reason.
Reply 9
You don’t need to know this information. Hospitals often use O negative blood in emergencies but they can also cross match you pretty quickly when they need to. If you’re curious, by all means try to find out but don’t pretend you need to know it.
Also, if you can, donate blood.
You don’t need to know it for an emergency.

Even if you did, this information would not be relied upon and it would need retesting anyway as it’s more complicated than just blood group.
Check your medical records OP
Original post by tinygirl96
Check your medical records OP

a) how do you suggest they do that, and b) they said they have never even had bloods done so how would that help?

Quick Reply

Latest