The Student Room Group

Four years in jail for Christmas cocaine smuggler who swallowed around 100 packages o

A student from Brazil who attempted to smuggle cocaine worth around £80,000 into the UK the day before Christmas has been jailed.

Luan Irving Dos Santos Monteiro, 30, originally from Macapá in Brazil, was questioned by National Crime Agency investigators following his interception at Heathrow on 24 December 2020.

An x-ray indicated that he had swallowed around 100 packages containing cocaine, totalling around a kilo in weight, before boarding a flight from São Paulo.

National Crime Agency
It will have no impact on the drugs trade, a waste of resources.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
It will have no impact on the drugs trade, a waste of resources.

I wouldnt even call this a rounding error in terms of the trade to be honest. Hell, it sounds more like some kid trying to make a quick buck than anything a serious gang would be doing.
I still find it amusing that the plods think they can even compete, never mind win, this 'war on drugs' though :lol:. I forget the authors name, some doctor another, but there was an interesting note made by him that at this point the anti-drugs brigade is a self sustaining entity in its own right who couldnt be shut down even if they wanted to. Just looks at the tens of billions funnelled into agencies dedicated to 'policing' drug trafficking. A comparison to the iron triangle and the MIC in general doesnt seem particularly outlandish these days to be honest. Far too many people depend on 'fighting the drugs war' to ever wind it up and try something that might actually work :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
I wouldnt even call this a rounding error in terms of the trade to be honest. Hell, it sounds more like some kid trying to make a quick buck than anything a serious gang would be doing.
I still find it amusing that the plods think they can even compete, never mind win, this 'war on drugs' though :lol:. I forget the authors name, some doctor another, but there was an interesting note made by him that at this point the anti-drugs brigade is a self sustaining entity in its own right who couldnt be shut down even if they wanted to. Just looks at the tens of billions funnelled into agencies dedicated to 'policing' drug trafficking. A comparison to the iron triangle and the MIC in general doesnt seem particularly outlandish these days to be honest. Far too many people depend on 'fighting the drugs war' to ever wind it up and try something that might actually work :rolleyes:

Eventually the drug lords will win, the Mexican government can’t keep up with the multi billion dollar armies they have
Reply 4
Original post by jackmarshal757
Eventually the drug lords will win, the Mexican government can’t keep up with the multi billion dollar armies they have

Oh bugger them, theyre small fry compared to the ones operating out of the golden triangle (and of course the Taliban). Fun fact, Taiwan wouldnt exist today without the Asian drug lords who helped fund the nationalistis in the war :lol:
Original post by Napp
Oh bugger them, theyre small fry compared to the ones operating out of the golden triangle (and of course the Taliban). Fun fact, Taiwan wouldnt exist today without the Asian drug lords who helped fund the nationalistis in the war :lol:

If it were the cartels against those guys, the cartels would absolutely win. Owing to the fact that the cartels are equipped with proper military grade equipment, some even have their own tanks.
If it were the cartels against those guys, the cartels would absolutely win. Owing to the fact that the cartels are equipped with proper military grade equipment, some even have their own tanks.

You realise the Taliban has been fighting an active war for the last 20+ years, they have man carry anti-tank missile.
Original post by DiddyDec
You realise the Taliban has been fighting an active war for the last 20+ years, they have man carry anti-tank missile.

Seeing as there’s now slowing down of what’s happening, they will quickly outgun terrorist groups
Seeing as there’s now slowing down of what’s happening, they will quickly outgun terrorist groups

Hardly.
https://www.voanews.com/south-central-asia/taliban-kills-21-afghan-troops-warns-dangerous-escalation-if-us-breaches-deal
Reply 9

Are you comparing the cartels to the Asian gangs? To which i would point out that Asian gangs have literal armies. The armoured cars of the mexican cartels (i havent heard of any riding around in an Abrams?) are of limited utility though bar beating up rivals.
As to what you and Diddy are talking about i would point out that its a false comparison. Many of the biggest terror groups are also drug gangs (narco terrorists being a thing). Be it tha Taliban cornering a significant part of the heroin trade to various gangs throughout Asia and Americas. Terrorism and drug gangs tend to go hand in hand.
Original post by Napp
Are you comparing the cartels to the Asian gangs? To which i would point out that Asian gangs have literal armies. The armoured cars of the mexican cartels (i havent heard of any riding around in an Abrams?) are of limited utility though bar beating up rivals.
As to what you and Diddy are talking about i would point out that its a false comparison. Many of the biggest terror groups are also drug gangs (narco terrorists being a thing). Be it tha Taliban cornering a significant part of the heroin trade to various gangs throughout Asia and Americas. Terrorism and drug gangs tend to go hand in hand.

All true, hadn’t thought about that

Quick Reply

Latest