The Student Room Group

Ukmt intermediate olympiads and certificates

I am really confused about the ukmt intermediate Olympiads. I would be in the year 9 or below category, which is for Cayley, but what if you get a score higher than the minimum required for Cayley? Would you just not be allowed to do Hamilton or maclaurin just because of your age?
And also I have seen pictures of the ukmt certificates and saw one that says best in year. I'm the only one in my year who did it so would I get that regardless?

Scroll to see replies

No, all year 9s and below do the Cayley as long as they get the required score. I believe that UKMT said scores will be released wc 15th.

Regarding the best In year award, I’ve never heard of anyone in that position for but I suppose you will.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Buddingdentist08
No, all year 9s and below do the Cayley as long as they get the required score. I believe that UKMT said scores will be released wc 15th.

Regarding the best In year award, I’ve never heard of anyone in that position for but I suppose you will.

Hope this helps!

When you say wc 15th, are you talking about the 15th of this month, or next?
Reply 3
Original post by maths04

Feb. It usually takes ~2+ weeks to get the thresholds sorted, then another few days for the marks.
I think i got 89 in my ukmt 2021 imc paper. do u think i can make it to the cayley olympiad ???
Could someone help me out please...........
Reply 5
Original post by rishiansm0001
I think i got 89 in my ukmt 2021 imc paper. do u think i can make it to the cayley olympiad ???

Already replied twice.
Original post by maths04

this month
Original post by mqb2766
Already replied twice.

the answer you said wasnt ideally perfect therefore im asking someone else :frown:. sorry
Reply 8
the answer you said wasnt ideally perfect therefore im asking someone else :frown:. sorry

You may/may not qualify. Simple as that.

there's not much you can do until grade boundaries are released, you could look at previous years though. I believe that last year the grade boundaries increased by quite a bit so we'll just have to see if this year's results follow that trend.
there's not much you can do until grade boundaries are released, you could look at previous years though. I believe that last year the grade boundaries increased by quite a bit so we'll just have to see if this year's results follow that trend.

do u know where i could find the boundaries of the qualification for olympiads?
do u know where i could find the boundaries of the qualification for olympiads?

last years are on the ukmt's website, not sure about anything before that though.
last years are on the ukmt's website, not sure about anything before that though

ohhhh ok. thx for ur help tho
Original post by maths04
I am really confused about the ukmt intermediate Olympiads. I would be in the year 9 or below category, which is for Cayley, but what if you get a score higher than the minimum required for Cayley? Would you just not be allowed to do Hamilton or maclaurin just because of your age?
And also I have seen pictures of the ukmt certificates and saw one that says best in year. I'm the only one in my year who did it so would I get that regardless?

yes you will get best in school certificate even you were the only candidate in school. i was in the same situation
Original post by Rosie2007
yes you will get best in school certificate even you were the only candidate in school. i was in the same situation

Wow. That’s a lucky situation to be in🤩. I honestly can’t wait for my results!!!

That's a great score, congrats but no it's extremely unlikely to make it into the cayley olympiad e.g. last year you had to get over 110 so not probably not.
You won't make it into the cayley olympiad that's too low a score sorry, last year it was over 110 and there's no way the grade boundaries will drop that much.
Reply 17
Not true, there is a chance that he could still make it into the cayley olympiad. Last year was an outliner in difficulty. Anyway, if you really want to do the olympiad @rishiansm0001, you can pay in. :smile:

Original post by YOLO180905!
You won't make it into the cayley olympiad that's too low a score sorry, last year it was over 110 and there's no way the grade boundaries will drop that much.
Reply 18
Original post by bmo3boy
Not true, there is a chance that he could still make it into the cayley olympiad. Last year was an outliner in difficulty. Anyway, if you really want to do the olympiad @rishiansm0001, you can pay in. :smile:

And even if you are far away from the boundary, I strongly recommend paying in anyway. People can be decent at the challenges but exceptional in olympiads. Heard it first hand from people who have done TSTs and such.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by bmo3boy
And even if you are far away from the boundary, I strongly recommend paying in anyway. People can be decent at the challenges but exceptional in olympiads. Heard it first hand from people who have done TSTs and such.

The challenges are not the best at determining your true ability - it is essentially a test of 'who gets the least no. of silly mistakes'. But truthfully, olympiads are also a poor indicator for one's true ability. @rishiansm0001 if u are discouraged by your result, I advise you to just pay in if you don't get in. Doing an olympiad gets you ready for doing bmo1 and bmo2 - higher levelled olympiads, if you wish to do them in the future. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest