The Student Room Group

Your five top policies (if you were granted then)

Due to some mad administration error (or whatever) you have been granted the ability to ennact five policies which are legally enforceable for one week only and may be overturned by parliament afterwards.

You will remain completely anonymous and cannot do anything to directly benefit you (eg become dictator or give yourself money)

You cannot kill/arrest/ deport anyone although you may bring back the death penalty. Declarations of war will probably be unsuccessful with an almost certain risk of mutiny as will attempts to destroy democracy. Controversial positions will almost certainly be overturned eg turning the UK into a Soviet style state.

For Instance

Nationalise railways
Legalise euthanasia
Introduce proportional representation
Calling a general election
Declaring war
Criminalising Abortion
Privatise the BBC
Declaring Amazon a criminal entity
Declaring Antifa terrorist organisation
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here are mine

1- Force websites to choose between being publishers (responsible for content) or content providers (not responsible for content). Grant protections to hold big tech giants accountable for censorship if they choose to be a content provider.

2- Legalise prostitution and provide adequate safeguards eg being able to decline clients etc.

3- make Bitcoin an official currency alongside the Pound

4- Scrap the Equality Act 2010

5- pardon Julian assange and release all documents contained under the official secrets act (and give 24 hour notice)
Original post by Starship Trooper
Here are mine

1- Force websites to choose between being publishers (responsible for content) or content providers (not responsible for content). Grant protections to hold big tech giants accountable for censorship if they choose to be a content provider.

2- Legalise prostitution and provide adequate safeguards eg being able to decline clients etc.

3- make Bitcoin an official currency alongside the Pound

4- Scrap the Equality Act 2010

5- pardon Julian assange and release all documents contained under the official secrets act (and give 24 hour notice)

Some rather dangerous policies there. Especially the one about release all
Documents under the official secret act and Bitcoin as a currency.

I’d agree with the legalisation of prostitution.
Why spend money policing it and allowing criminals to exploit it when you can save money of policing it, generate tax revenue from it and exclude the criminals. (Although those involved in it now would still probably be involved in it, but they’d have to legitimise themselves.)

Some rather dangerous policies there. Especially the one about release all
Documents under the official secret act

Dangerous to who? I think this will shine a much needed ray of light upon our rulers. As they say: if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

As for International Relations I'm on favour of minding our own business.

Bitcoin as a currency.

Why would that be dangerous? The Pound will still be our main unit of currency. We will just be granting additional legitimacy to bitcoin.

I’d agree with the legalisation of prostitution.
Why spend money policing it and allowing criminals to exploit it when you can save money of policing it, generate tax revenue from it and exclude the criminals. (Although those involved in it now would still probably be involved in it, but they’d have to legitimise themselves.)

That's a liberal argument used to justify damaging society with drugs etc ,(which j don't support legalisation of) . I support prostitution as a necessary evil to protect society.

1: Women will need to offer men something more than sex in a relationship and will therefore create better wives and a more harmonious relationship and end women's monopoly on sex.

2: Single men particularly young men will get an outlet for their needs whilst they concentrate on their career

3: women that sleep around can at least get paid for it.
1. Tougher sentencing for all crimes, especially burglary. Make life mean life.

2. Repeat offenders who have over 10 short prison terms have their sentences continually increased for repeat petty crimes. For example, the sentence doubles. These repeat offenders only harm others, are of no use to society, and bring nothing but misery to those they affect. The sooner that repeat offenders are locked up for longer, the better. Some people are better off in prison for the safety of wider society.

3. Universal basic income. Get rid of the current benefits system. Cut the ********, cut all the loops. Replace it with a UBI linked to just below the current level of inflation and living wage. Say for example that number is £13,000. Stringent checks in place to make sure that those who are jobless are looking for work, and punishments upon those who refuse to look for work, or drag their heels with the state, eventually leading to prison time if they continue to not make an effort.
Reply 6
De-criminalise drugs (the current policy is risible)
Raise the minimum wage to a living wage (forcing people to work for slave wages is innately cruel)
Actually tax the big american tech firms (tax dodging *******s who provide no social good whatsoever)
Revoke Brexit and jail the charlatans who lied to get it done (or hang them, either or)
As to a fifth... ban universities from flogging non-subjects to students and having the cheek to charge such outrageous amounts of money for it.
Reply 7

That's a liberal argument used to justify damaging society with drugs etc ,(which j don't support legalisation of) . I support prostitution as a necessary evil to protect society.

In what way is legalising prostitution (it's legal already?) a necessary evil to protect society compared to the proven benefits of de-criminalising drugs. Both in terms of crime and harm reduction the latter has evidence behind it. I cant say ive ever heard someone describe prostitution as protecting society though..?
Original post by Napp
In what way is legalising prostitution (it's legal already?) a necessary evil to protect society compared to the proven benefits of de-criminalising drugs. Both in terms of crime and harm reduction the latter has evidence behind it. I cant say ive ever heard someone describe prostitution as protecting society though..?

It's a sort of grey area in the law eg brothels are illegal but prostitution isn't technically.

Drugs are more harmful than having consenting sex. I'm ambivalent on drug legislation personally though.
Original post by Napp
De-criminalise drugs (the current policy is risible)
Raise the minimum wage to a living wage (forcing people to work for slave wages is innately cruel)
Actually tax the big american tech firms (tax dodging *******s who provide no social good whatsoever)
Revoke Brexit and jail the charlatans who lied to get it done (or hang them, either or)
As to a fifth... ban universities from flogging non-subjects to students and having the cheek to charge such outrageous amounts of money for it.

Which charlatans in particular?

If you wish to hang them you would need to legalise the death penalty first.
@Starship Trooper
Why would you Scrap the Equality Act 2010? What would the impact be of forcing websites to choose between being publishers (responsible for content) or content providers (not responsible for content)?
(edited 3 years ago)

1: Women will need to offer men something more than sex in a relationship and will therefore create better wives and a more harmonious relationship and end women's monopoly on sex.

That's a rather circuitous way of informing everyone that you struggle with women.
Original post by Mobitela
@Starship Trooper
Why would you Scrap the Equality Act 2010? What would the impact be of forcing websites to choose between being publishers (responsible for content) or content providers (not responsible for content)?

Because 'Equality*' makes the demonstrably false assumption that we are all 'equal' * and when the outcome it favours does not transpire it will come up with further laws to achieve this end usually in the form of equality of outcome which is actively discriminatory, pushes identity politics and is anti meritocratic as well as requiring state intervention. People are different and compliment each other in different ways.

Not typically s JBP fan buy see below for more.
https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/political-correctness/equity-when-the-left-goes-too-far/

*I believe people should be equal under the law and are equal under God

As for your second question hopefully it will allow for a more free society where individuals can interact and produce content freely (,the actual ideal vision of the internet ,) rather than a narrow monopoly where huge vested corporations dictate arbitrarily on who can say what, if anything ,)
Original post by Kitten in boots
That's a rather circuitous way of informing everyone that you struggle with women.

That's a rather circuitous way of informing everyone that the only thing you think women have to offer people is their vagina.
(edited 3 years ago)
Dangerous to who? I think this will shine a much needed ray of light upon our rulers. As they say: if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

As for International Relations I'm on favour of minding our own business.

Why would that be dangerous? The Pound will still be our main unit of currency. We will just be granting additional legitimacy to bitcoin.

2: Single men particularly young men will get an outlet for their needs whilst they concentrate on their career

3: women that sleep around can at least get paid for it.

There are things that need hiding from the public. They wed hiding from the public, because once they’re in the ‘public domain.’ It’s not just the public that know about them. Our enemies know about them. That’s why information is protectively marked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Security_Classifications_Policy

Having worked extensively in jobs that require me to sign the officials secret act. There’s nothing special in there. All the act does is remind people that are dealing with that kind of information that there are legal repercussions if they don’t follow the rules. (I’ve seen people threatened with it for losing laptops. It’s just a government stick for data protection.

People seem very happy to allow Facebook to hoover up all your personal information and sell it. What’s your problem with a government that has a high degree of overview doing it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_Investigatory_Powers_Act_2000

All snowden did was give away capabilities so the bad guys changed how they operated. Nobody in government cares what p*rn sites you’re on.

I'm not too sure why you want prostitution legalised but I can guess why. I don’t have any ‘liberal’ concerns in mind. We pay to olive it. Whilst it’s illegal criminals will abuse it and abuse those in it. We can tax it.
Original post by MatureStudent37
There are things that need hiding from the public. They wed hiding from the public, because once they’re in the ‘public domain.’ It’s not just the public that know about them. Our enemies know about them. That’s why information is protectively marked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Security_Classifications_Policy

Having worked extensively in jobs that require me to sign the officials secret act. There’s nothing special in there. All the act does is remind people that are dealing with that kind of information that there are legal repercussions if they don’t follow the rules. (I’ve seen people threatened with it for losing laptops. It’s just a government stick for data protection.

People seem very happy to allow Facebook to hoover up all your personal information and sell it. What’s your problem with a government that has a high degree of overview doing it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_Investigatory_Powers_Act_2000

All snowden did was give away capabilities so the bad guys changed how they operated. Nobody in government cares what p*rn sites you’re on.

I'm not too sure why you want prostitution legalised but I can guess why. I don’t have any ‘liberal’ concerns in mind. We pay to olive it. Whilst it’s illegal criminals will abuse it and abuse those in it. We can tax it.

I am far more concerned about what our government does than with what China and Russia do.

I don't agree with Facebook doing it either.

Who are these bad guys that you're so concerned with?

I have already stated why I want prostitution legalised. Nice womanly dig implying I'm desperate to have sex with hookers. I'm not, although I regret the time I wasted on hook ups when younger. But besides it doesn't matter one bit to my argument if I'm the biggest fat virgin basement dweller or a complete Chad with my own harem.

You didn't tell me why recognizing bitcoin is dangerous.
Because 'Equality*' makes the demonstrably false assumption that we are all 'equal' * and when the outcome it favours does not transpire it will come up with further laws to achieve this end usually in the form of equality of outcome which is actively discriminatory, pushes identity politics and is anti meritocratic as well as requiring state intervention. People are different and compliment each other in different ways.

You're confusing "equality" with 'sameness'. The Equality Act only prohibits discrimination based on sex, colour, religion, etc. It does not mandate equality of outcome. What you're basically saying is that people should be free to discriminate against people, which is wrong.

Do you think that my employer should be able to, say, fire me because I am bisexual? How would that be meritocratic?
Original post by Kitten in boots

Nice one! 😂
Due to some mad administration error (or whatever) you have been granted the ability to ennact five policies which are legally enforceable for one week only and may be overturned by parliament afterwards.

You will remain completely anonymous and cannot do anything to directly benefit you (eg become dictator or give yourself money)

You cannot kill/arrest/ deport anyone although you may bring back the death penalty. Declarations of war will probably be unsuccessful with an almost certain risk of mutiny as will attempts to destroy democracy. Controversial positions will almost certainly be overturned eg turning the UK into a Soviet style state.

For Instance

Nationalise railways
Legalise euthanasia
Introduce proportional representation
Calling a general election
Declaring war
Criminalising Abortion
Privatise the BBC
Declaring Amazon a criminal entity
Declaring Antifa terrorist organisation

1. You mentioned it in the first post: introducing proportional representation. I'd do this, and would specifically introduce the Single Transferable Vote.

2. I'd expand the Welsh planning policies of 2018 to the entire country.

3. I'd change the education system to be more like the Finnish one.

4. If we're talking about right now, I'd increase the funding for the NHS ten-fold(?).

5. I'd also increase the funding for Green education, and Green tech (hence, Green professions).
Original post by SHallowvale
You're confusing "equality" with 'sameness'. The Equality Act only prohibits discrimination based on sex, colour, religion, etc. It does not mandate equality of outcome. What you're basically saying is that people should be free to discriminate against people, which is wrong.

Do you think that my employer should be able to, say, fire me because I am bisexual? How would that be meritocratic?

I am confusing nothing. It mandates equality of opportunity but this doesn't work and when it does not work will require equality of opportunity to 'fix' it .

I think it's wrong for the government to force people to hire or associate with people they don't want to.

Sure, if they were do inclined. If you were such a vital component to their business they wouldn't fire you would they?

How would it not be meritocratic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending