The Student Room Group

Choosing GCSE subjects

I am currently choosing my GCSE subjects I would like to be a GP/doctor out of the following subjects which 4 should I take?
Art, Business, DT, Health and Social, Food and Nutrition, ICT, Media, Music, PE, Performing Arts, RE, Triple Science, Sport.
Thank you :smile:
I think science is definitely the most important for that, so I'd say triple science 100%. Food and Nutrition and PE could both be helpful also I guess as being a GP you will need to understand nutrition and give dietary advice, PE would help as I think you learn about the human body and injuries etc.? But I'm not too sure on that and I think you should check the subject specification with the teacher. As for the others, I'd say pick whatever you enjoy most as you're more likely to excel in what you enjoy, and high grades are pretty important as medical degrees are competitive. I'm not a GP/doctor or studying to be one though so this is just some general advice from what I know. I'd say definitely ask the teachers if you can for advice. Good luck with your studies!
Reply 2
Original post by studygirl388
I think science is definitely the most important for that, so I'd say triple science 100%. Food and Nutrition and PE could both be helpful also I guess as being a GP you will need to understand nutrition and give dietary advice, PE would help as I think you learn about the human body and injuries etc.? But I'm not too sure on that and I think you should check the subject specification with the teacher. As for the others, I'd say pick whatever you enjoy most as you're more likely to excel in what you enjoy, and high grades are pretty important as medical degrees are competitive. I'm not a GP/doctor or studying to be one though so this is just some general advice from what I know. I'd say definitely ask the teachers if you can for advice. Good luck with your studies!

thank you
From what you have said I think you should take, Health and social, food and nutrition, triple sciences and sport
Reply 4
Defo think triple science, health and social, food and sport. Unless there's another subject you really like and don't want to limit your future choices.
Reply 5
Original post by nicole.babeyy
From what you have said I think you should take, Health and social, food and nutrition, triple sciences and sport

thank you :smile:
Original post by RS1810
I am currently choosing my GCSE subjects I would like to be a GP/doctor out of the following subjects which 4 should I take?
Art, Business, DT, Health and Social, Food and Nutrition, ICT, Media, Music, PE, Performing Arts, RE, Triple Science, Sport.

So you basically want to keep the option to study medicine at uni open.
Which will require chemistry Alevel & probably biology and perhaps maths or physics.

Basically take as much science & maths as you can. After that it doesn’t really matter. You’ll also need English.

Id say definitely triple science after that whatever you’d enjoy.
Reply 7
Original post by RS1810

Triple science is probably the best then consider Health and Social, PE, RE, Sport or Food Tech but really as long as you are passionate and get good grades in the other 3 that should be great!
Original post by RS1810

Triple science and health and social care would be helpful. But it’s a good idea to take something like history or geography too so it keeps your options open
Reply 9
Original post by Buddingdentist08
Triple science and health and social care would be helpful. But it’s a good idea to take something like history or geography too so it keeps your options open

Reply 10
Original post by TuesdayA
Triple science is probably the best then consider Health and Social, PE, RE, Sport or Food Tech but really as long as you are passionate and get good grades in the other 3 that should be great!

Should I take triple or combined
Reply 12
Original post by Constell
Should I take triple or combined

i think triple would be best, but you could take combined as,
combined = 2 GCSEs
triple = 3 GCSEs
Original post by RS1810
i think triple would be best, but you could take combined as,
combined = 2 GCSEs
triple = 3 GCSEs

Thanks I actually just did my form right. And I picked triple. Thanks for your input
Reply 14
Original post by Constell
Thanks I actually just did my form right. And I picked triple. Thanks for your input

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest