The Student Room Group

L'Étranger advice

Hello,

I'm currently studying L'étranger and I was wondering if anybody could help me. This is my first time writing an analytical French essay, and therefore I'm not really sure how much depth I should explore my ideas in. Is it like English Literature but in French, or are the ideas vaguer / is language not explored?

Other than that, I think I understand the general structure of getting in a good introduction/conclusion and the main body of text.

Just as a final request, if anybody possibly could direct me to some examples of L'étranger essays specifically I would highly appreciate it. I've been looking but on AQA I've only found example materials for other texts, such as Bonjour Tristesse.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Do you have a specific essay title?

This is for A Level, isn't it? I'm pretty sure that I did L'Etranger for A Level French.

PS This looks like a useful book - I can't say that I have used it myself as I did my A Level in French a long time ago, but, if I were doing it now, I would check out books like this one.

https://global.oup.com/education/product/9780198418344/?region=uk
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kerzen
Do you have a specific essay title?

This is for A Level, isn't it? I'm pretty sure that I did L'Etranger for A Level French.

PS This looks like a useful book - I can't say that I have used it myself as I did my A Level in French a long time ago, but, if I were doing it now, I would check out books like this one.

https://global.oup.com/education/product/9780198418344/?region=uk

I'm currently creating a response to the 2018 AQA question:

<<Meursault est condamné non pas pour son crime mais pour son comportement à la suite à la mort de sa mère>>. Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d'accord avec ce jugement?

It is indeed for A-level, however I'm not currently an A-level student.

Thank you, I'll have a look! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by jenesaisplus
I'm currently creating a response to the 2018 AQA question:

<<Meursault est condamné non pas pour son crime mais pour son comportement à la suite à la mort de sa mère>>. Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d'accord avec ce jugement?

It is indeed for A-level, however I'm not currently an A-level student.

Thank you, I'll have a look! :biggrin:

This is the French equivalent of a 'To What Extent' essay.

You could start by making a list of examples of how Meursault behaves after his Mother's death and consider perhaps how this might conflict with society's expectations of the bereaved.

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/stranger/character/meursault/
Reply 4
Hello,

I'm currently studying L'étranger and I was wondering if anybody could help me. This is my first time writing an analytical French essay, and therefore I'm not really sure how much depth I should explore my ideas in. Is it like English Literature but in French, or are the ideas vaguer / is language not explored?

Other than that, I think I understand the general structure of getting in a good introduction/conclusion and the main body of text.

Just as a final request, if anybody possibly could direct me to some examples of L'étranger essays specifically I would highly appreciate it. I've been looking but on AQA I've only found example materials for other texts, such as Bonjour Tristesse.

Thank you!

Hey! I could send my Camus notes to you? I did a level french and got an a*
Original post by Kerzen
This is the French equivalent of a 'To What Extent' essay.

You could start by making a list of examples of how Meursault behaves after his Mother's death and consider perhaps how this might conflict with society's expectations of the bereaved.

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/stranger/character/meursault/

Thank you very much! How far in depth would you suggest going with the analysis?

Original post by az2031

That would be amazing, thank you very much! Only if you don't mind though :biggrin: (and congratulations on the A*!)
Reply 6
Thank you very much! How far in depth would you suggest going with the analysis?

That would depend on the length of the essay. Bear in mind too that one of the most important things in essays is to structure them. Another important thing is to make sure that you are answering the question being set and all parts of it.

Are you doing a qualification which isn't A Level but for which you are being asked to use questions from A Level papers?
Original post by Kerzen
That would depend on the length of the essay. Bear in mind too that one of the most important things in essays is to structure them. Another important thing is to make sure that you are answering the question being set and all parts of it.

Are you doing a qualification which isn't A Level but for which you are being asked to use questions from A Level papers?

Ok, thank you! I'll do my best to structure it well, however this is my first proper French essay (in an analytical sense) so I am struggling a little :colondollar:

It's a complicated situation- I'm currently in Year 11 but I finished my French GCSE last year. My teacher's sending out resources to me to try and keep on top of the language.
Reply 8
Ok, thank you! I'll do my best to structure it well, however this is my first proper French essay (in an analytical sense) so I am struggling a little :colondollar:

It's a complicated situation- I'm currently in Year 11 but I finished my French GCSE last year. My teacher's sending out resources to me to try and keep on top of the language.

I see. Are you going to be taking French at A Level in the 6th form?

For this current essay, what is the word limit?
Original post by Kerzen
I see. Are you going to be taking French at A Level in the 6th form?

For this current essay, what is the word limit?

Hopefully, yes :yep:
I believe it's 300 words
You definitely don't have to be as specific as you are in English - that was always may mistake in y12. The structure that I found worked best was having 3 paragraphs as usual,

Point
evidence to support + reason + link back to Q
evidence to contradict + reason +link back to Q
overall -> point is correct because xyz
link back to Q

I may be wrong, but I'm also fairly sure that the AQA mark scheme doesn't set an upper word limit, as it's a waste of time in the exam to spend your whole time counting. That may have changed since I did it, though, so definitely check!
Original post by redmeercat
You definitely don't have to be as specific as you are in English - that was always may mistake in y12. The structure that I found worked best was having 3 paragraphs as usual,

Point
evidence to contradict + reason +link back to Q
overall -> point is correct because xyz
link back to Q

I may be wrong, but I'm also fairly sure that the AQA mark scheme doesn't set an upper word limit, as it's a waste of time in the exam to spend your whole time counting. That may have changed since I did it, though, so definitely check!

Thank you very much! :biggrin:
This has helped a lot (especially knowing that I don't have to go in as much depth as English Literature).
I did have a look at the mark scheme, and you're right there is no word limit, but they suggest writing about 300 words I believe.
Thanks again!
Original post by username5633806
Hello,

Thank you!

Look on etudier.com Type in l'étranger where it's written" je fais des recherches" and you'll find about 1000 essays on the book, and millions of other essays on any french book you can think of.
Reply 13
Original post by az2031

Hi! Do you mind sending them to me please? I've already got some notes but would love to see yours. Congrats on the A* sheeeeshh
Reply 14
I'm really struggling with this essay question

"Meursault est condamné non pas pour son crime mais pour son comportement
suite à la mort de sa mère.» Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d’accord avec ce
jugement"

I feel like I should be talking about Meursault's emotions and the judgement throughout the novel, but how can I relate that to the question?
(edited 2 years ago)
I could really use those french notes now too, its so stressful
Original post by az2031

Hi i'm aware this is an old thread but I'm in year 12 struggling with Camus, do you possibly have any advice ? Thank you
Reply 17
Original post by az2031

Hi ,
I know this thread is old now but if you have any advice for l'étranger and French a-level as a whole I would really appreciate it I'm currently in year 12 and struggling with l'étranger and its essays !
Original post by az2031

omg congrats!! would you mind sending them over to me I'm currently studying it hahah xx
Reply 19
Original post by az2031

can you please send me the notes too? i'd really appreciate it (congrats on getting an A*!!)

Quick Reply