The Student Room Group

What protien shake to buy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmmarZ07
Can’t get any point of this reply, I want to reply but like really don’t see any point

I’ll take that as you backing down now you’ve been exposed
WHAT IS BODY TYPE?

Body type, or somatotype, refers to the idea that there are three generalized body compositions that people are predetermined to have. The concept was theorized by Dr. W.H. Sheldon back in the early 1940s, naming the three somatotypes endomorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph.

Reasons why you may not be able to gain weight ( while you eat more than you need ):
Hyperthyroidism, Type 1 diabetes,
Inflammatory bowel disease.

Memorise your ****ing slides again before getting degrees out of rubbish

Man, he made this theory during wartime in an attempt to categorize people, it is a theory that has been rejected since then; your 'athlete' trainer should try and keep up with new information.
Original post by Nutritionist
@Dax_Swagg3r Can you appreciate the hilarity of this? 🤣

I enjoyed reading this when I woke up.
Original post by ANM775
i've tried the normal whey my protein and found it did not mix well with the water and after like 10 minutes plus of shaking still had a hell of a lot of big lumps. also i didn't feel great after eating it a lot of the time. eventually i stopped buying whey protein.

last week though i started a cut, and realistically it was gonna be very very difficult if i didn't supplement protein so i bought this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J5KUACS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so far so good, and after a good 2 minute shake the whey mixes in with the water properly and there are no big lumps

Good to hear you found a product that you like.
Looks like you are funny but not able to guide on fitness things. Posting the type of protein he should use without knowing his weight and height, workout intensity, target, nutrition information etc.. if you can tell without knowing that, it proves that you know nothing about this sport.

I’ve suggested some types but still couldn’t confirm which one he should use without having some information.

Protein is protein bro, just because someone is skinnier does not mean they MUST go with a different type of protein. Its funny because you seem to think that protein and protein powder are interchangeable and then you say I know nothing about this sport. Why don't you explain to me how 'workout intensity' and 'target' can affect protein POWDER choice?
Original post by Nutritionist
I’ll take that as you backing down now you’ve been exposed

Exposed? This is the most silly reply in this thread 😂 why should I?!😂
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Protein is protein bro, just because someone is skinnier does not mean they MUST go with a different type of protein. Its funny because you seem to think that protein and protein powder are interchangeable and then you say I know nothing about this sport. Why don't you explain to me how 'workout intensity' and 'target' can affect protein POWDER choice?

Yes. Skinny guys need to consume more carbohydrates ( obviously ) as they need more calories intake + it provides more enery.

Being skinny, more probably, to have High thyroid activity which makes it even more important to increase carbs and calories and the need for more workout intensity to get in shape and put on more weight.

It is ( usually ) not easy at all for skinny guys to meet rhe needs of carbs and calories daily, so with a protein like Pro Gainer which contains about 42g of carbs in each scoop makes the mission a lot easier.

I would say your advice about going with Whey or Whey isolate is better later on when the guy has some muscles growth and be able to eat more than he is now.

I hope now it is clear to u.
Yes. Skinny guys need to consume more carbohydrates ( obviously ) as they need more calories intake + it provides more enery.

Being skinny, more probably, to have High thyroid activity which makes it even more important to increase carbs and calories and the need for more workout intensity to get in shape and put on more weight.

It is ( usually ) not easy at all for skinny guys to meet rhe needs of carbs and calories daily, so with a protein like Pro Gainer which contains about 42g of carbs in each scoop makes the mission a lot easier.

I would say your advice about going with Whey or Whey isolate is better later on when the guy has some muscles growth and be able to eat more than he is now.

I hope now it is clear to u.

I know and I agree that they have to consume more carbs and kcalories however this does not have to come from a mass gainer which has 47g of carbs. It would be a lot better for him to create his own mass gainer at home with 2 scoops of whey isolate, 100g of oats, a milk replacement, 1 tbsp of peanut butter and any other ingredient he likes, this would be a lot more cheaper, your 'pro gainer' is freaking 45 dollars for 16 servings, would have more kcalories, I make this everyday and those ingredients alone amount to around 1000kcalories, and it would have a lot more micronutrients and a bunch of unsaturated fats from the peanut butter.

Furthermore you're mass gainer has lactose containing products which would not agree with OP's stomach as he is lactose intolerant and is amino spiked with glutamine so it doesn't actually contain 60g of 'protein'.

There is absolutely no reason for him to go with you're ON pro gainer.
I know and I agree that they have to consume more carbs and kcalories however this does not have to come from a mass gainer which has 47g of carbs. It would be a lot better for him to create his own mass gainer at home with 2 scoops of whey isolate, 100g of oats, a milk replacement, 1 tbsp of peanut butter and any other ingredient he likes, this would be a lot more cheaper, your 'pro gainer' is freaking 45 dollars for 16 servings, would have more kcalories, I make this everyday and those ingredients alone amount to around 1000kcalories, and it would have a lot more micronutrients and a bunch of unsaturated fats from the peanut butter.

Furthermore you're mass gainer has lactose containing products which would not agree with OP's stomach as he is lactose intolerant and is amino spiked with glutamine so it doesn't actually contain 60g of 'protein'.

There is absolutely no reason for him to go with you're ON pro gainer.

what you are saying is 100% true, he talked to me on insta and first thing I said are you ready to eat ( probably ) much more comparing to what you used to eat. If yes, this is cheaper and *better* than going with the mass gainer. I’m suggesting mass gainer because many of us ( skinny guys ) find it very difficult to increase our calories to level of *building muscles* as I said before.

Also, regarding pro gainer, it is 16*2= 32. Because it should be consumed on a half scoop, each half scoop = 30g of protein + 42.5g of carbs.

In addition, I literally said to him I don’t want to talk about things I don’t know, you should to talk/ask someone who has knowledge about lactose intolerance

Me myself used to consume pro gainer and then I changed to use Dymatize Elite whey, but couldn’t manage it more than two months to eat enough healthy carbs so unfortunately looks like I’m going back to the pro gainer. This is the suffering I’m talking about, believe me bro, it is NOT easy.
what you are saying is 100% true, he talked to me on insta and first thing I said are you ready to eat ( probably ) much more comparing to what you used to eat. If yes, this is cheaper and *better* than going with the mass gainer. I’m suggesting mass gainer because many of us ( skinny guys ) find it very difficult to increase our calories to level of *building muscles* as I said before.

Also, regarding pro gainer, it is 16*2= 32. Because it should be consumed on a half scoop, each half scoop = 30g of protein + 42.5g of carbs.

In addition, I literally said to him I don’t want to talk about things I don’t know, you should to talk/ask someone who has knowledge about lactose intolerance

Me myself used to consume pro gainer and then I changed to use Dymatize Elite whey, but couldn’t manage it more than two months to eat enough healthy carbs so unfortunately looks like I’m going back to the pro gainer. This is the suffering I’m talking about, believe me bro, it is NOT easy.

Then your mass gainer is only 325kcalories which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Trust me bro, spreading out your meals and eating more calorically dense foods would be a lot better for you.
Then your mass gainer is only 325kcalories which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Trust me bro, spreading out your meals and eating more calorically dense foods would be a lot better for you.

Yes sure, Only 325kcalorie compared to almost 130 for whey proteins. So at the end of the day when you consume 2 scoops daily it makes some difference. I would NOT suggest going with mass gainers like Serious mass and these types which is 1250kcalories. Pro gainer is a lower level.

Spreading meals I agree it helps, it is just sometimes I really feel I don’t want to eat anything especially in the morning. I try to have 100g of oats and one scoop of elite whey mixed with milk. When I do, I feel like I don’t need another meal for like 7 hours which is really bad for building muscles as I don’t eat enough calories at the end of the day 💔
Yes sure, Only 325kcalorie compared to almost 130 for whey proteins. So at the end of the day when you consume 2 scoops daily it makes some difference. I would NOT suggest going with mass gainers like Serious mass and these types which is 1250kcalories. Pro gainer is a lower level.

Spreading meals I agree it helps, it is just sometimes I really feel I don’t want to eat anything especially in the morning. I try to have 100g of oats and one scoop of elite whey mixed with milk. When I do, I feel like I don’t need another meal for like 7 hours which is really bad for building muscles as I don’t eat enough calories at the end of the day 💔

200kcalories isn't that big of a difference he could eat 2 large bananas with it and make up the difference even a packet of oreos would make up the difference. Man you're going back on your words first you say one serving is actually half a scoop and then you say you consume 2 servings which would lead to 45 dollars for 16 days. Why shouldn't he go with a more kcalorically dense mass gainer then?

That's on you, don't assume it will be the same for him, if you have hypothyroidism you should go to a doctor.
200kcalories isn't that big of a difference he could eat 2 large bananas with it and make up the difference even a packet of oreos would make up the difference. Man you're going back on your words first you say one serving is actually half a scoop and then you say you consume 2 servings which would lead to 45 dollars for 16 days. Why shouldn't he go with a more kcalorically dense mass gainer then?

That's on you, don't assume it will be the same for him, if you have hypothyroidism you should go to a doctor.

I’m not going back on my words, I’m just saying *IF* he consumes 2 daily.

But I don’t agree in terms of oreo because it contains too much sugars which he should be avoiding.
I’m not going back on my words, I’m just saying *IF* he consumes 2 daily.

But I don’t agree in terms of oreo because it contains too much sugars which he should be avoiding.

Bro, no matter which way you spin it, this mass gainer is not worth the money.

Nothing wrong with sugar as long as you get your micronutrients, especially for someone trying to gain weight, makes getting those last few kcalories in very easy. Why should he avoid sugar?
Bro, no matter which way you spin it, this mass gainer is not worth the money.

Nothing wrong with sugar as long as you get your micronutrients, especially for someone trying to gain weight, makes getting those last few kcalories in very easy. Why should he avoid sugar?

Simple answer: it may lead to dirty bulk which you will suffer when you cut and lose shape.

Of course depends on the amount he eats, I’m not saying that oreo will lead to that but like 2 bananas and oreo and some other fruits containing sugards daily, this is in my opinion, too much sugar.
Simple answer: it may lead to dirty bulk which you will suffer when you cut and lose shape.

Of course depends on the amount he eats, I’m not saying that oreo will lead to that but like 2 bananas and oreo and some other fruits containing sugards daily, this is in my opinion, too much sugar.

First you are like its very hard to gain weight but then you avoid sugar like the plague because it 'may' lead to dirty bulk, maybe you should start incorporating some 'unhealthy' foods into your diet, like 20% of all food you eat.
Ofc its gonna be hard to gain weight if all you eat is salad. Also sugar is not a good reason to avoid fruits, they are very filling due to their large volume and g of fibre for the amount of sugar they have.
First you are like its very hard to gain weight but then you avoid sugar like the plague because it 'may' lead to dirty bulk, maybe you should start incorporating some 'unhealthy' foods into your diet, like 20% of all food you eat.
Ofc its gonna be hard to gain weight if all you eat is salad. Also sugar is not a good reason to avoid fruits, they are very filling due to their large volume and g of fibre for the amount of sugar they have.

Will take your advice seriously into consideration and will see how it goes.

Note::: it is not all I eat is salad, it is all I eat is healthy. I reach 190-200g of proteins daily so I eat more than *salad* but I suffer reaching enough carbs. But as I said, will take your advice seriously into consideration.

Regards

Note::: it is not all I eat is salad, it is all I eat is healthy. I reach 190-200g of proteins daily so I eat more than *salad* but I suffer reaching enough carbs. But as I said, will take your advice seriously into consideration.

Regards

Yes it will be hard to gain weight if all you eat is healthy, nothing wrong with 20% of your diet coming from things that are considered treats.
Thank you for listening and having an open mind.
Yes it will be hard to gain weight if all you eat is healthy, nothing wrong with 20% of your diet coming from things that are considered treats.
Thank you for listening and having an open mind.

Thank you too, enjoyed the conversation.

Regards

@Dax_Swagg3r You’ve done what I thought impossible here 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Quick Reply

Latest