The Student Room Group

800 calories

Hi so I've been eating 800 calories pretty consistently for a week or so (one day I went to 1000 by accident) and I was wondering how much I can expect to lose if I continue doing it and if I should lower more.

I'm hoping to go from a size 10 to a size 6/8

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rachaelv
Hi so I've been eating 800 calories pretty consistently for a week or so (one day I went to 1000 by accident) and I was wondering how much I can expect to lose if I continue doing it and if I should lower more.

I wouldnt worry about that, a size 10 is a perfect and healthy size! Id love to be a size 10 haha. But 800 calories? Thats really unhealthy, a person should eat at least 2000 a day! You really dont need to lose weight being a size 10. You're eating less than a baby, and i speak from experience but please eat more than this. I started eating around this much and it went out of control and i was taken into hospital. I understand if you feel like you want to lose weight, i get you. But you really dont need to. But if you decide to ignore this then please just eat more because this is worse for you. Stay safe :smile:

That sounds dangerously low. What is your BMI? You may not need to lose weight.

You need professional advice. With that said, you should eat a balanced diet and include exercise to increase your calorie deficit, whilst getting all the nutrition that you need. You need to aim for sustainable diet and exercise changes to have sustainable, healthy, habits. Good luck.
(edited 3 years ago)
Please don't eat just 800 calories, that's really unhealthy and can cause you more harm than good in the long run. If you keep eating low calories, your body will feel that you're not eating/getting enough food and you can go into starvation mode, which is when your body will store all the fat that you gain when eating. Don't reduce your calories to such a low amount, it's very unhealthy and will do you more harm!

I was a bit overweight and I lost 17kg by using a similar method to you but with my drastic weight loss, came a huge price. I was depriving myself/lacking so many vital nutrients (due to eating barely any food and a very low amount of calories) and it caused me health issues in which at one time I fainted! When I went to the doctor, he said it was because I had an extremely low level of iron count in my body so I was very very very anemic and it caused me to be light headed very often and not even have enough energy to walk for like more than 5mins at best.

I've started eating more and was prescribed iron tablets and now I feel much better and healthier. Please don't reduce your diet to just 800 calories, it's very dangerous and unhealthy. Just cut out fast food and stick to healthy food, you will lose weight believe me because healthy food doesn't have such a high amount of fat like fast food does.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Hello,

Losing weight by calorific loss isn't actually healthy or sustainable. Your body will simply go into survival mode. You are better to go on a healthy diet with plenty of protein, and instead doing a healthy amount of exercise with a little weight training.

As a size 10 you are actually considered slim, and under the UK national average. Unfortunately, there is still pressure (on, typically, young women) to constantly be trying to lose more weight. You are fine just as you are (I promise!), and an 800 calorie diet can actually be dangerous. Generally, the recommended daily calorie intake is 2,000 calories a day for women and people need an absolute minimum of 1,200 calories daily for normal bodily functioning. Only having 800 calories can lead to hair loss, gallstones, loss of periods, dizziness and nutrition deficiencies that can lead to a whole host of more problems.

Please take care fo yourself and don't be too harsh on your body - it works hard to keep you healthy everyday - and as a UK10 you are absolutely fine as you are!
Reply 5
Haven't you already asked this?

There really is no such thing as a size 10/8/6 because there is no standard for clothing measurements and it says nothing about your state of health; that's why BMI is a much better indicator. Suppose you thought you were an 8 and had to buy a 12 in another shop to fit; what would you do then, starve yourself further? Because that is what you are doing by denying your body not only energy but the nutrients, like vitamins and minerals, that it requires.

Contact your GP.
Reply 6
As others have said, this is not healthy and it's not sustainable. As someone with anorexia nervosa, this is not the road you wanna go down. It will destroy you.
Original post by etc-etc
Hello,

Losing weight by calorific loss isn't actually healthy or sustainable. Your body will simply go into survival mode. You are better to go on a healthy diet with plenty of protein, and instead doing a healthy amount of exercise with a little weight training.

As a size 10 you are actually considered slim, and under the UK national average. Unfortunately, there is still pressure (on, typically, young women) to constantly be trying to lose more weight. You are fine just as you are (I promise!), and an 800 calorie diet can actually be dangerous. Generally, the recommended daily calorie intake is 2,000 calories a day for women and people need an absolute minimum of 1,200 calories daily for normal bodily functioning. Only having 800 calories can lead to hair loss, gallstones, loss of periods, dizziness and nutrition deficiencies that can lead to a whole host of more problems.

Please take care fo yourself and don't be too harsh on your body - it works hard to keep you healthy everyday - and as a UK10 you are absolutely fine as you are!

Although I agree that what OP is doing is wrong. Losing weight through cutting kcalories is the only way to lose weight and there is no such thing as survival mode.
don't restrict pls i've been down that road before and it's horrible.. it might seem like you're doing alright, but soon it gets out of hand and your body slowly starts shutting down and you face tons of other horrid health problems i don't even want to mention... i am still trying to recover and its been over a year now (for some people it's much longer), so pls stop as soon as you can bc it sticks with you :/ if you really want to lose weight effectively and healthily, pls exercise ! ik how it feels to think that it's easier to just skip meals and survive on a couple hundred kcals instead of working out, but it's really not and restricting has much worse effects on you for much longer, but exercise definitely doesn't ! pls try to eat more and exercise! <3
Reply 9
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Losing weight through cutting kcalories is the only way to lose weight and there is no such thing as survival mode.

No, it isn't and yes, there is, and it's also called starvation mode.
Original post by Surnia

Okay explain to me how you will lose weight without eating less kcalories then you burn. And explain to me how your body can hold on to the fat if you eat less kcalories then you burn, does it just break the laws of thermodynamics just to keep that fat on?
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
Haven't you already asked this?

There really is no such thing as a size 10/8/6 because there is no standard for clothing measurements and it says nothing about your state of health; that's why BMI is a much better indicator. Suppose you thought you were an 8 and had to buy a 12 in another shop to fit; what would you do then, starve yourself further? Because that is what you are doing by denying your body not only energy but the nutrients, like vitamins and minerals, that it requires.

Contact your GP.

No I don't think I've asked this....I've mostly asked school related questions. I've never had that experience before, I've always been a size 10 in every shop I've been to
Original post by Surnia

A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight unless you’re cutting it off. Your body’s BMR lowers slightly as bodyweight drops but it doesn’t enter “starvation mode”. Thermodynamics always apply.
Reply 13
Okay explain to me how you will lose weight without eating less kcalories then you burn. And explain to me how your body can hold on to the fat if you eat less kcalories then you burn, does it just break the laws of thermodynamics just to keep that fat on?

You said "cutting kcalories is the only way to lose weight". You can burn off calories, too. I haven't changed what I eat, but I've lost weight recently as I started a job where I walk there and back and am on the move most of the day.

Look up 'adaptive thermogenesis' or 'starvation mode' or 'survival mode' on health websites.
Reply 14
No I don't think I've asked this....I've mostly asked school related questions. I've never had that experience before, I've always been a size 10 in every shop I've been to

Strange, someone asked the question using the exact figures you did.

However, you're still avoiding the big issue of what is your BMI and why do you want to change?
Reply 15
Original post by Nutritionist
A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight unless you’re cutting it off. Your body’s BMR lowers slightly as bodyweight drops but it doesn’t enter “starvation mode”. Thermodynamics always apply.

A calorie deficit can be obtained by burning off calories, not just cutting them out of your diet. Why do health websites refer to starvation mode, aka adaptive thermogenesis?
Original post by Surnia
You said "cutting kcalories is the only way to lose weight". You can burn off calories, too. I haven't changed what I eat, but I've lost weight recently as I started a job where I walk there and back and am on the move most of the day.

Look up 'adaptive thermogenesis' or 'starvation mode' or 'survival mode' on health websites.

Oh yes that is a mistake in my semantics, apologies.

Adaptive thermogenesis in a caloric deficit is made up of reduced NEAT and reduced BMR due to less bodyweight meaning you burn less kcalories in a day however you can account for this by eating less or as you said by exercising more. It is physiologically impossible for your body to keep fat on when you are in a caloric deficit. Adaptive thermogenesis may seem as if you are not losing weight in a deficit if you consistently eat the same amount of kcalories in your weight loss phase. This is a nice video on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8zuTfZhK0&t=627s&ab_channel=JeffNippard
Reply 17
Oh yes that is a mistake in my semantics, apologies.

I'm not sure why anyone is disagreeing. I think the reason is that by burning more you're still eating enough for getting nutrition instead of cutting it all out.

OP a much better way is the 5:2 diet, a sustainable version of what you've been doing.
Please don’t eat that little! You should be eating 2000 a day. Size 10 is perfectly healthy and if you’re not careful you could spiral into an ED. You’re beautiful just the way you are but if you’re looking to lose weight in a healthy way there’s plenty of resources that provide fully balanced meals and workout routines.
I think everyone has already made the point that 800cals is far too low, basically all you need to lose weight is burn more energy than you consume. You don't need to be so restrictive (also 800cals isn't something you can maintain long term, you'll eventually end up needing to eat a lot more and all the weight will go back on- look up yo yo dieting). 1500 cals a day plus a decent amount of exercise should have you losing weight

Quick Reply

Latest