The Student Room Group

AS levels in university applications

I'm in y12 doing 2 a-levels and 1 AS, and I intend to do an EPQ next year, however I don't really understand if I can apply to unis or not. For example a huge aspirational uni for me would be kings college London, and the entry requirements are A*AA, which I could potentially achieve in my subjects (currently at AAA) however is this considering AS levels? Could I still stand with any chance at getting into the uni with the same grades (A*AA) but with one being an AS. Please bare in mind that I would hopefully have an EPQ as well.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated as my college haven't made things particularly clear to me. Also, I asked about studying another AS next year however they said they weren't offering ANY :/
Reply 1
Original post by molly4765
I'm in y12 doing 2 a-levels and 1 AS, and I intend to do an EPQ next year, however I don't really understand if I can apply to unis or not. For example a huge aspirational uni for me would be kings college London, and the entry requirements are A*AA, which I could potentially achieve in my subjects (currently at AAA) however is this considering AS levels? Could I still stand with any chance at getting into the uni with the same grades (A*AA) but with one being an AS. Please bare in mind that I would hopefully have an EPQ as well.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated as my college haven't made things particularly clear to me. Also, I asked about studying another AS next year however they said they weren't offering ANY :/

Hi, I don't think the entry requirements with letter grades your talking about include AS levels otherwise everyone would just take 3 AS levels and take their relatively 3 easy As and go to good unis. EPQs usually allow you to get a reduction of one grade on one A level subject. So with this in mind I don't think two A levels an AS and an EPQ will count and it's likely your application would be rejected, however, I am not an admissions officer and I don't make the rules. You need to contact them on monday and ask. I'm surprised you didn't check what you needed to go to uni before choosing your subjects because they pretty much determine what you can and can't do after college. I wouldn't waste your time trying to find more AS levels to do it sounds like what you've got going is more than enough.
You will need 3 full A levels to apply to anywhere like KCL or any other Uni that expresses its requirements in grades. They will not accept 'looks like 3 A levels but isn't'.

2 A levels, an AS and an EPQ may be okay for a Uni that asks for UCAS points - but you still need to check carefully that each Uni will accept what you are doing. Email them if necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by molly4765

Hi, perhaps you should look at continuing your AS onto A-levels in year13. Because as others have already said, most unis, such as King’s, want 3 A-levels. Things such as your EPQ could lower your entry offer, however that is subject to the university administration. If you continue your AS level onto A-level, the A-level would override the AS. So you’ll be left with 3 A-levels and EPQ qualification. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Lo12
Hi, perhaps you should look at continuing your AS onto A-levels in year13. Because as others have already said, most unis, such as King’s, want 3 A-levels. Things such as your EPQ could lower your entry offer, however that is subject to the university administration. If you continue your AS level onto A-level, the A-level would override the AS. So you’ll be left with 3 A-levels and EPQ qualification. Hope this helps :smile:

AS and A levels are now separate qualifications.
You cannot convert an AS to an A level without doing the full 2 year A level course.
Original post by McGinger
You cannot convert an AS to an A level without doing the full 2 year A level course.

*except in Wales, NI and international A levels
Original post by PQ
*except in Wales, NI and international A levels

Yes - good point.
Original post by McGinger

not necessarily true. Many people in my school for example do AS Economics and decide to carry it on and do it as full A Level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending