The Student Room Group

Lent 2021

Lent officially begins next Wednesday (17th) and I thought it might be a nice idea if Christians on here could maybe talk and share about what we might do for lent and help encourage each other through it.

Lent is a time to loose yourself and humble yourself as we prepare for Easter and Good Friday.

Some examples of things you can do:

Fasting (either completely, fasting from solid food, or abstaining from certain foods. Note: you should always consult a GP before complete fasting or fasting from solids)
Giving up a habit that is hurtful to yourself or others, or something that is idolising before God.
Taking up something, for example praying more, reading your Bible more regularly or evening starting volunteering in your community.

Remember there is nothing that you change in your life that is too little or too much for God. We’re not looking to see who can do the most sacrificial thing but for who can use the time to most effectively renew and grow their relationship with Jesus.

I haven’t quite decided what I’m going to do, but I will update you once I have.

:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is a really nice idea for a thread :smile: Though I think it's Weds 17th (rather than 16th)? :ninja:

Lent is a really difficult and tricky time of year for me since 2010. I was advised by a very wise Anglican priest around 2016 or 2016, to give up my expectations of myself for Lent :eek: so that's my main task for Lents since then :colondollar: I always feel as though I *should* and *could* be doing more. Which is of course true to an extent, but yeah :redface:

I look forward to joining in hopefully-friendly (or at the very least, civil) conversation with other Christians and to support you all in/through this thread :jebus:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
This is a really nice idea for a thread :smile: Though I think it's Weds 17th (rather than 16th)? :ninja:

Lent is a really difficult and tricky time of year for me since 2010. I was advised by a very wise Anglican priest around 2016 or 2016, to give up my expectations of myself for Lent :eek: so that's my main task for Lents since then :colondollar: I always feel as though I *should* and *could* be doing more. Which is of course true to an extent, but yeah :redface:

I look forward to joining in hopefully-friendly (or at the very least, civil) conversation with other Christians and to support you all in/through this thread :jebus:

:facepalm:I literally went to look at the calendar to write that and I still got wrong. Probably got distracted thinking about pancakes :redface: Thanks for pointing it out. :smile:

I’m sorry to here that, we’re here to hopefully make it easier for you. :tongue: Wow that is a wise piece of advice, and a really challenging goal to achieve. Well done for trying so hard and being so resilient with it. Remember you are exactly where Jesus wants you to be right now, and he loves to see you try so hard with yourself but he’s there to take that burden away from you. You can achieve everything you need to at the right time just by listening to him.

Haha yes, hopefully we will all try our hardest to keep this a friendly, supportive place :biggrin:
Original post by heldbygrace
:facepalm:I literally went to look at the calendar to write that and I still got wrong. Probably got distracted thinking about pancakes :redface: Thanks for pointing it out. :smile:

I’m sorry to here that, we’re here to hopefully make it easier for you. :tongue: Wow that is a wise piece of advice, and a really challenging goal to achieve. Well done for trying so hard and being so resilient with it. Remember you are exactly where Jesus wants you to be right now, and he loves to see you try so hard with yourself but he’s there to take that burden away from you. You can achieve everything you need to at the right time just by listening to him.

Haha yes, hopefully we will all try our hardest to keep this a friendly, supportive place :biggrin:

Haha, dw at all! :hugs: Pancakes are def very distracting! :five:

Thank you, I really appreciate that :redface: Yeah, I thought it was super-deep :eek: Was annoyed by the suggestion but only because I knew she was right in saying that I ought to give up my expectations of myself :colonhash:

Very true that I need to just listen to Him. I've always been more Martha than Mary, if you get what I mean :colondollar:

Looking forward to supporting you on your Lenten journey :moon:
Reply 4
This coming Wednesday is the 10th, isn't it?

Lent must be beginning the week after next. Shrove Tuesday is on the 16th, Ash Wednesday is on the 17th.
Haha, dw at all! :hugs: Pancakes are def very distracting! :five:

Thank you, I really appreciate that :redface: Yeah, I thought it was super-deep :eek: Was annoyed by the suggestion but only because I knew she was right in saying that I ought to give up my expectations of myself :colonhash:

Very true that I need to just listen to Him. I've always been more Martha than Mary, if you get what I mean :colondollar:

Looking forward to supporting you on your Lenten journey :moon:

I have to admit, unfortunately my knowledge of Catholicism is severely lacking compared to the thorough understanding of Christianity that I like to pride myself in having. :colondollar: (I plan on improving this) So no I don’t really get what you mean. :frown:

Thank you :h:
I have to admit, unfortunately my knowledge of Catholicism is severely lacking compared to the thorough understanding of Christianity that I like to pride myself in having. :colondollar: (I plan on improving this) So no I don’t really get what you mean. :frown:

Oh I didn't think of it as a particularly Roman Catholic reference, my bad :redface: I meant like Martha and Mary, as in the sisters of Lazarus! Martha being the very busy sister bustling about trying to feed Jesus, whereas Mary just sat at His feet to listen to Him speak :yep:
Oh I didn't think of it as a particularly Roman Catholic reference, my bad :redface: I meant like Martha and Mary, as in the sisters of Lazarus! Martha being the very busy sister bustling about trying to feed Jesus, whereas Mary just sat at His feet to listen to Him speak :yep:

:woo: I think I just found my new favourite phrase. That makes so much sense and is really deep. Wow. (Thinking about it probably isn’t that Roman Catholic)
I am going to try my best to give up a habit that hurts and plagued me for a year or two :yep: Hopefully if God can help guide me through the first 40 days then I will have the strength to carry that on after Easter :crossedf:

I think TLG was referring to the message of Luke 10:40 :h:

EDIT: oops didn’t see your replies! Loving the new username btw :smile:
Great idea for a thread :smile:

I prefer to take up something rather than give up chocolate/something else.
Original post by laurawatt
I am going to try my best to give up a habit that hurts and plagued me for a year or two :yep: Hopefully if God can help guide me through the first 40 days then I will have the strength to carry that on after Easter :crossedf:

I think TLG was referring to the message of Luke 10:40 :h:

EDIT: oops didn’t see your replies! Loving the new username btw :smile:

Oh wow. That sounds very brave and I hope you can do it. We’re here to support and encourage you and Jesus is going to help you do it as well. :hugs:

Hehe yes I see that now :colondollar:

Aww thank you. :h:
Oh wow. That sounds very brave and I hope you can do it. We’re here to support and encourage you and Jesus is going to help you do it as well. :hugs:

Hehe yes I see that now :colondollar:

Aww thank you. :h:

Thank you :hugs: as above, lovely idea for a thread :love:
We're looking to study this: https://prayercourse.org/prayercourse2/
Original post by Muttley79
Great idea for a thread :smile:

I prefer to take up something rather than give up chocolate/something else.

Yes I gave up I think cake and chocolate one year and I found I just complained more and didn’t really think about what it meant and kinda became a bit more self absorbed, so now I try to take up things as well.
We're looking to study this: https://prayercourse.org/prayercourse2/

That looks really interesting, I might try it. I hope you find it helpful and fulfilling. :smile:
Hello Everyone :wavey:

So I've had a think about what I want to do for lent and this is what I've decided:

Do a Bible study after I wake up - I think it'll really improve my day to start it with God as well as finishing it with God

Not use my phone between 8-4 - This I think is going to be difficult because I'm really addicted to my phone, but it's getting to the point now where I'm using it too much, like during online lessons when I should be listening to teachers and that's super disrespecting so I think that needs to change. Part of glorifying God is respecting my elders but also doing my best in school, because school is for learning, and I need to learn to make myself the best person I can be, so then I can be the best version of myself to help others, so it's really important that there are no distractions.

I can't wait to see how we all do in this. Have a good rest of your week :yep:
Hello Everyone :wavey:

So I've had a think about what I want to do for lent and this is what I've decided:

Do a Bible study after I wake up - I think it'll really improve my day to start it with God as well as finishing it with God

Not use my phone between 8-4 - This I think is going to be difficult because I'm really addicted to my phone, but it's getting to the point now where I'm using it too much, like during online lessons when I should be listening to teachers and that's super disrespecting so I think that needs to change. Part of glorifying God is respecting my elders but also doing my best in school, because school is for learning, and I need to learn to make myself the best person I can be, so then I can be the best version of myself to help others, so it's really important that there are no distractions.

I can't wait to see how we all do in this. Have a good rest of your week :yep:

This sounds really great. I would not be able to not use my phone between 8am-4pm, so hats off to you for even attempting it! :hat2:
I was sent information about this Lent course:

"This year, you can join The Lent Encounter. It’s a completely free 40-day journey to help you connect more with the Bible and the life of Jesus AND you don’t have to give up chocolate!

Sign up today and you’ll receive one email from us every day during Lent. These will include Bible verses, beautiful and inspiring images (created especially for you to save as your device screensaver), video reflections and practical challenges. "

https://www.biblesociety.org.uk/explore-the-bible/the-lent-encounter/
I was sent information about this Lent course:

"This year, you can join The Lent Encounter. It’s a completely free 40-day journey to help you connect more with the Bible and the life of Jesus AND you don’t have to give up chocolate!

Sign up today and you’ll receive one email from us every day during Lent. These will include Bible verses, beautiful and inspiring images (created especially for you to save as your device screensaver), video reflections and practical challenges. "

https://www.biblesociety.org.uk/explore-the-bible/the-lent-encounter/

Wow thank you so much for sharing this. I will use it for my morning Bible study! :smile:
This sounds really great. I would not be able to not use my phone between 8am-4pm, so hats off to you for even attempting it! :hat2:

Haha thanks, I don’t think I’m going to do that well with it but I’ll try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending