The Student Room Group

China's done well, China's handled this amazingly.... Coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NEFIX OFFICAL
then how did they built the Great Wll of China, which stands for 2000 years and still standing strong today?

N Empire President (NEP)
CHN GB

The first part of the great wall was built and took over 20 years to make. Not 14 days.
The Ming dynasty also spent over 200 years rebuilding the wall and adding to it.
In fact the great wall has been worked on for over 2000 years.

It wasnt just built once and left to stand for 2000 years.
Reply 21
Original post by adam271
The first part of the great wall was built and took over 20 years to make. Not 14 days.
The Ming dynasty also spent over 200 years rebuilding the wall and adding to it.
In fact the great wall has been worked on for over 2000 years.

It wasnt just built once and left to stand for 2000 years.

Equally, most of it is less a wall than more or less just a pile of dirt :lol:
i'm chinses and ik what i am talking about

There is a lot you clearly don't know about China.
ummmm, i did live in china for a couple of years and went to school in china

They don't exactly teach an accurate version of Chinese history.
they do.

So you obviously must know that that Mao Zedong was responsible for 55 million Chinese deaths of those 2.5 million were brutally murdered by party members or militia.
Original post by DiddyDec
So you obviously must know that that Mao Zedong was responsible for 55 million Chinese deaths of those 2.5 million were brutally murdered by party members or militia.

Well 55 million is not an accurate number.
Actually very hard to get an accurate number.
Some people start counting deaths as soon as he started the long march. Is it fair to count deaths during the civil war?
Others count when he became the chairman of a united China once he won the civil war.

Another source of this number is the Great Famine. This accounts for between 15-55 million deaths.
This is a tough one. It is no doubt Mao was responsible. He started the great leap forward which was basically signifcant policy changes to how farming was organised. But this coincided with massiove droughts and floods.
So, its tough to say how responsible Mao was. Certainly the collectivisation of farms was a contributing factor.
I'd say it was a combination of poor governance, natural disasters and coverups. Probably didnt help that China was exporting food at the time either.

So, I'd argue that Mao did not technically kill 55 million people.
I'd say Stalin killed more intentionally. Along with Hitler.

That being said you can quite easily say Mao killed 55 million people to the same degree Boris Johnson killed over 100 thousand British people.
Mao wasnt a good cookie though :tongue:
Original post by adam271
Well 55 million is not an accurate number.
Actually very hard to get an accurate number.
Some people start counting deaths as soon as he started the long march. Is it fair to count deaths during the civil war?
Others count when he became the chairman of a united China once he won the civil war.

Another source of this number is the Great Famine. This accounts for between 15-55 million deaths.
This is a tough one. It is no doubt Mao was responsible. He started the great leap forward which was basically signifcant policy changes to how farming was organised. But this coincided with massiove droughts and floods.
So, its tough to say how responsible Mao was. Certainly the collectivisation of farms was a contributing factor.
I'd say it was a combination of poor governance, natural disasters and coverups. Probably didnt help that China was exporting food at the time either.

So, I'd argue that Mao did not technically kill 55 million people.
I'd say Stalin killed more intentionally. Along with Hitler.

That being said you can quite easily say Mao killed 55 million people to the same degree Boris Johnson killed over 100 thousand British people.
Mao wasnt a good cookie though :tongue:

I just simplified it for our Chinese friend because the reality is he probably has no idea about the crimes of Mao.
Original post by DiddyDec
I just simplified it for our Chinese friend because the reality is he probably has no idea about the crimes of Mao.

Yea, to be honest I am just a contrarian.
I'll argue against anything :tongue:
so basically, each country leader will be an ememy to some parts of the world, but it's not and ememy to their own country, instead an hero.

Basically ye.
There is some good to be said about Mao. He united China at a time when it was basically still under feudal control ran by warlords.
Uniting China is a huge accomplisment.

What else did he do? Well, He prevent Korea from reuniting. I guess that can be good or bad depending on your perspective.
He was a feminst.

Sure there are loads more.
I do like the comparison with Trump though. Hopefully when Trump dies America will preserve his body and put him on display.
Reply 29
well, Trump is the best example for being an ememy to the world.

In fairness, if you were a Gulf monarch or an Israeli extremist he was more like a prophet than anything else :lol:
Original post by jackmarshal757
You don’t though, most Chinese people are oblivious to its crimes as a result of state propaganda and indoctrination

are they? I haven't met any in my 5 years of living here.. I mean aside from young kids, but they know nothing about anything.
Original post by fallen_acorns
are they? I haven't met any in my 5 years of living here.. I mean aside from young kids, but they know nothing about anything.

Well from the Chinese people I know that is apparently the case
Original post by jackmarshal757
Well from the Chinese people I know that is apparently the case

be honest now..
Original post by fallen_acorns
be honest now..

I’m being completely honest, the people I know from China say that in certain parts of China they are compl oblivious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending