The Student Room Group

Can I get on a music production course at universoty?

I am interested in doing a music production course at university. I have good gcse and fair a-level results, however, my only problem is I dont feel I have any relevant subjects, I never studied music at gcse or a-level , regretfully , because I didn't see it as worthwhile career wise despite being quite passionate about the subject. The closest relevant subject I've done is media studies. However I set up a budget home studio a few years ago and regularly practiced/learnt about producing and mixing. I produced and mixed an instrumental for my talented friend to sing over and it got 3000 hits on soundcloud which isn't too bad. I have fair music theory and technical knowledge and also went on work experience to a radio station which was somewhat relevant. I regret not deciding to chase a course like this from a young age as I feel like I could have done more with my talent but is it all possible to get on this course despite lack of related qualifications?
Reply 1
*University*, sorry for spelling error.
Reply 2
I am interested in doing a music production course at university. I have good gcse and fair a-level results, however, my only problem is I dont feel I have any relevant subjects, I never studied music at gcse or a-level , regretfully , because I didn't see it as worthwhile career wise despite being quite passionate about the subject. The closest relevant subject I've done is media studies. However I set up a budget home studio a few years ago and regularly practiced/learnt about producing and mixing. I produced and mixed an instrumental for my talented friend to sing over and it got 3000 hits on soundcloud which isn't too bad. I have fair music theory and technical knowledge and also went on work experience to a radio station which was somewhat relevant. I regret not deciding to chase a course like this from a young age as I feel like I could have done more with my talent but is it all possible to get on this course despite lack of related qualifications?
Original post by Hjsm2
I never studied music at gcse or a-level ... but is it all possible to get on this course despite lack of related qualifications?

All the degree courses I have seen require a formal Level 3 qualification (BTEC or A level) in Music or Music Technology.

However, this Foundation course doesn't : https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/courses/creative-music-production-and-technology-with-foundation-year and there may be others.
Hello! Avid music academic here.

Whilst I did study music-related courses at GCSE and College level, which of course helped, it's a fairly open course at most universities and I would imagine they may take you on despite this, so long as you show you've experience and you're proactively working on it, such as your home set-up and work experience, you should be fine. So long as you really explain why you want to do that course and how itll benefit you.

I study Music Industries Management at Leeds Beckett, and their Music Production course doesn't require you to have any specific prior music-related diplomas or A-levels - just 112 UCAS points (and of course some knowledge in that field, as you have demonstrated with your other activities). The facilities are amazing, without being biased, and I literally can't think of a better uni to go to. Their new School of Arts will open this September with brand new facilities. It honestly looks amazing. Give it a look!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
All the degree courses I have seen require a formal Level 3 qualification (BTEC or A level) in Music or Music Technology.

However, this Foundation course doesn't : https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/courses/creative-music-production-and-technology-with-foundation-year and there may be others.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Do you think it would be worth going back to do a level 3 course before going to university to help my chance of getting in and is there any other extra curricular stuff I could do? I beat myself up a lot about my old course choices as I dont know why I didn't choose to chase music when it was something I was passionate about, sound engineering in particular. I was just going through a lot and didn't really think about my future.
Original post by Hjsm2
Okay, thanks for the advice. Do you think it would be worth going back to do a level 3 course before going to university to help my chance of getting in

My advice would be look around for Foundation courses and do the 'best' one you can. Some performance qualifications (ABRSM etc) might help you focus on music and show your commitment but an expensive A level in Music where you will have problems doing 'practical' elements is probably not the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending