The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Muslim facilities at Durham Uni

I’m thinking of applying to Durham and I want to know if I’ll be able to get halal food/meat, access to mosques etc. Can anyone who goes Durham and is Muslim or knows someone who is give me info on what it’s like?
Reply 1
Original post by Faisalhans
I’m thinking of applying to Durham and I want to know if I’ll be able to get halal food/meat, access to mosques etc. Can anyone who goes Durham and is Muslim or knows someone who is give me info on what it’s like?

Hi second year Durham student here!

I'm not Muslim myself but I do know that there is a prayer room for Islamic prayer located near Grey College. Unfortunately I don't know about access to halal food.

Edit: just found this page that gives more info https://www.dur.ac.uk/faithsupport/islam/
(edited 3 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Did you apply?
Original post by jxsoph
xx

what a genius idea
Original post by jxsoph
education, good degree from good uni > make believe god

Maybe if you were really all that educated, you would have heard of something called respect and freedom of religion. They have a right to their faith and to practice it. It also most definitely does not effect their intellectual capability.
I really hope you are able to educate yourself and keep an open mind. Otherwise you are just shutting doors and putting yourself at a disadvantage in life through your ignorant assumptions.
^^ stop giving attention to these lowlives they start itching when they see 'muslim' in a thread:colonhash:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
^^ stop giving attention to these lowlives they start itching when they see 'muslim' in a thread:colonhash:

So true
Reply 7
Did you apply?

Yes and i’ve been given an offer
Yes and i’ve been given an offer

great what were your college preferences?
Reply 9
great what were your college preferences?

i’ve been allocated to collingwood !
i’ve been allocated to collingwood !

hi I'm a muslim student who's applying for 2022, and not sure which college to pick / how multicultural durham is at all - if you ended up going there could you let me know how your finding it? Do you have access to halal food/ prayer rooms? Are there many other Muslims or POCs there?
thank you !!
Reply 11
Original post by -sarah-j-
hi I'm a muslim student who's applying for 2022, and not sure which college to pick / how multicultural durham is at all - if you ended up going there could you let me know how your finding it? Do you have access to halal food/ prayer rooms? Are there many other Muslims or POCs there?
thank you !!

Heyy! I’m Muslim too, and I got an offer from
Durham. Have you got an offer yet? x
Hii! I’m a Muslim, w an unconditional from Durham. Have you been allocated to a college there?
Original post by Laur diy
Hii! I’m a Muslim, w an unconditional from Durham. Have you been allocated to a college there?

Hi! Yes I have been allocated to John snow. What about you? x
Original post by ilbab20
Hi! Yes I have been allocated to John snow. What about you? x

South :smile: what course are you doing? x
Original post by -sarah-j-
thank you !!

Regarding colleges, South College tends to be the most ethnic. Durham generally though isn't very diverse. I've been living in private accommodation this past year so I'm not sure what the colleges are like really. I'd advise to look through the options and see what each has to say. All catered colleges will have vegetarian options so you will get fed but college food isn't the best. The culture though is very sort of posh, privately educated white but you will be able to meet people and find friends. For Halal food, My mum gives me dishes/meat every so often so I am able to eat as good as I do at home basically but this might not be an option for you. There's 2 halal food places in the city centre I think but you'll probably be better off cooking for yourself if you are self-catered. Another thing is only Tesco is in walking distance of colleges and surrounding areas so your shopping might be expensive. There are prayer facilities for both men and women and there is an ISOC that does meet-ups and stuff from time to time. There's also a people of colour society which I'd recommend you joining if you were to come.

If you want any more info figure out a way to get in contact and I'd be more than happy to help

Quick Reply

Latest