The Student Room Group

OCR geography a level

Hey guys, I am in year 11 and I want to take geography for a-level. I have heard the content is quite a lot, as well as the course work and I was a bit worried about it. Could someone tell me if it is considered a 'content heavy' subject, and if they take it is it one of the hardest subjects you take ? Also is it similar to gcse or very different?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by itskeya
Hey guys, I am in year 11 and I want to take geography for a-level. I have heard the content is quite a lot, as well as the course work and I was a bit worried about it. Could someone tell me if it is considered a 'content heavy' subject, and if they take it is it one of the hardest subjects you take ? Also is it similar to gcse or very different?

Thank you :smile:

Hi i take geography ocr a level and currently in year 13. Yes there is a lot of content, out of all 3 of my alevels would say this has the most by far. For starters there are 8 case studies for just one topic!!! (hazardous earth), and there is a lot of terminology in certain topics which you will need to learn (i.e. ELSS and glaciated landscapes- although your sixth form may take different parts of the course). There is also a lot of essay writing (33 markers) so taking an english alevel would be useful I guess- but it is fine if not as I don't.

I wouldn't say that the content is hard, it is just remembering everything. Perhaps in ELSS (earths life support systems) the content is a bit confusing- especially the long mark questions. But if you take biology this should help you out a bit.

I think it is kind of similar to GCSE. Especially if you take edexcel b geography currently, as you can reuse your hazardous earth case studies, learn aboutr esther boserup and karl marx, some of the processes involved (geomorphic). But the main difference, is the volume of content and the long mark questions.

WOuld definitely say that taking economics alongside geography has been sooooo useful! especially for the parts about cyclical, structural, competition, subsidies, government policies, some bits in future of food.

Hope this helps! SOrry if this sounds confusing
Original post by abbbbbb.
Hi i take geography ocr a level and currently in year 13. Yes there is a lot of content, out of all 3 of my alevels would say this has the most by far. For starters there are 8 case studies for just one topic!!! (hazardous earth), and there is a lot of terminology in certain topics which you will need to learn (i.e. ELSS and glaciated landscapes- although your sixth form may take different parts of the course). There is also a lot of essay writing (33 markers) so taking an english alevel would be useful I guess- but it is fine if not as I don't.

I wouldn't say that the content is hard, it is just remembering everything. Perhaps in ELSS (earths life support systems) the content is a bit confusing- especially the long mark questions. But if you take biology this should help you out a bit.

I think it is kind of similar to GCSE. Especially if you take edexcel b geography currently, as you can reuse your hazardous earth case studies, learn aboutr esther boserup and karl marx, some of the processes involved (geomorphic). But the main difference, is the volume of content and the long mark questions.

WOuld definitely say that taking economics alongside geography has been sooooo useful! especially for the parts about cyclical, structural, competition, subsidies, government policies, some bits in future of food.

Thank you this has been really helpful! Do you think there is a certain grade at gcse you need to find a level easier / easier than others?
Original post by itskeya
Thank you this has been really helpful! Do you think there is a certain grade at gcse you need to find a level easier / easier than others?

I don't think so to be honest. As when you start geography a-level you start with the basics all over again. As long as your revision/exam technique is good and you understand the content you should be fine.
Although, most of the people in my class got 7's-9's, only one person got a 6 (they dropped it). So maybe? I got an 8, but I guess it really depends!
I don't think so to be honest. As when you start geography a-level you start with the basics all over again. As long as your revision/exam technique is good and you understand the content you should be fine.
Although, most of the people in my class got 7's-9's, only one person got a 6 (they dropped it). So maybe? I got an 8, but I guess it really depends!

ok, thanks!

Do you know where I could find some questions on ELSS? Really struggling to find some as there's really only one paper I can look at!
Original post by BenjiBops
Do you know where I could find some questions on ELSS? Really struggling to find some as there's really only one paper I can look at!

If you look in the textbook there are a few past questions (at the end of the chapter).

Revision world ( https://revisionworld.com/a2-level-level-revision/geography-level-revision/geography-level-past-papers/ocr-level-geography-past-papers ) has lots of different past papers.

https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/geography-h081-h481-from-2016/assessment/ Here's one from the exam board, if you scroll down there is also a sample paper.

Hope this helps
That’s great, thanks a lot for you help!😁

Hi do you have any resources for a level geography ocr. There is barley any resources. The optional topics I did is: Power and Border, Future for food, hazardous earth and coastal environments.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kully1234
Hi do you have any resources for a level geography ocr. There is barley any resources. The optional topics I did is: Power and Border, Future for food, hazardous earth and coastal environments.

I took Future for food and hazardous earth but none of the others. I think for geography alevel there were a few websites which had past papers? The exam board website has it! Can't really tell you the exact website as I finished geography alevel now.

Or you could just ask your teacher for exam questions, my teachers gave us a bunch to practice with before the final exams from what I recall.
Good luck with your studies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest