The Student Room Group

Who is the best footballer ever

who do you think is the GOAT
(edited 3 years ago)
You'd think around the time you started training with a club they might have had a suspicion :tongue:

To be blunt I suspect a lot of parents would have the idea that football was a poor career for a woman in terms of prospects, and for 90% of their life that likely held true. But the game has came on a lot on the last decade and god knows where it's going to be in another 10.
Original post by StriderHort
You'd think around the time you started training with a club they might have had a suspicion :tongue:

To be blunt I suspect a lot of parents would have the idea that football was a poor career for a woman in terms of prospects, and for 90% of their life that likely held true. But the game has came on a lot on the last decade and god knows where it's going to be in another 10.

Thank you

has the OP edited the original question because this has literally nothing to do with the question...unless I'm wrong :lol:
Original post by parmezanne
has the OP edited the original question because this has literally nothing to do with the question...unless I'm wrong :lol:

They have edited both title and post, for reasons I am not privy to.

Either that or i'm getting really creative in my nonsense :tongue:
Original post by cloe11

Generally it is hard to compare footballers from different decades they play, all the more for fans who were grown up in different times. Zidane based on the footballers I watched playing football, based on the footballers who ever played, it's Pele.
Personally, I think it’s either Messi or Ronaldo.

Old generation footballers don’t match the modern day ones, imo. It’s like comparing an old car with a new one.
Original post by cloe11

1) it’s hard to judge players from different eras as the rules have changed slightly over the years amongst others.

2)People are biased and feel some sort of nostalgia over their so called GOAT.

3) my favourites would be Pele and Ronaldo.
Original post by CaptainDuckie

Old generation footballers don’t match the modern day ones, imo. It’s like comparing an old car with a new one.

That is the crunchpoint! the football always changed and thus the footballer's play. And one day even Messi and Ronaldo might be outdated.

#1 is Maradona. My fam members agree and btw some of them r Brazilians... that rivalry is stronger than anything in England so that shows how respected his skills were.

@StriderHort Women do not typically have the same options for careers in professional sport as men do. However that is changing and already has here in the US. U should know, a lot of parents of girls here in the US have the idea that football (soccer here) is a VERY GOOD option for both college scholarship and even professional success. US WNT has a deep and intense following that is just not understandable to most Europeans who still seem to have a rather closed and medieval view of women's sports significance. Like in the last 5 years women's footy has advanced to the point it's barely tolerated on mainstream TV in Europe but here it's been all-in since our WC win in 1999 and our multiple wins since then :biggrin:

If u have not been to US and seen this in action then u cannot rlly understand it.

Xample. I was working out at my local park this evening and the hs girls soccer teams r training under the lights. There were dozens of cars parked up with Moms and Dads watching their little Chrystals and Alexandras working hard for a two-hour session. The girls r training harder than the boys no surprise but they have the full backing of parents who drive them everywhere for training and tournaments. U need to live here to get the cues...other sports r not significant enuf with the parent/taxpayer base to keep the public park floods on for two hours. Girls hs soccer is.... the teams get prime time and prime field at most hs, they kick the boys off so they can play their league games on the best turf. Boys resources focus on (American) football.

Yeah I admit envy... I would love to have been good enuf myself at hs (I play keeper and we need our Hope Solo successor lol!) but even tho I was good for my hs leagues I couldn't sniff scholarship at NCAA D1 schools.

When I was at UCL of course I had ppl try to tell me - usually Brits who had never even visited US - come on it's not like that... u know who sounds rlly foolish...the ppl who tell natives wat it's like in their country when they've never been there. Not saying u r like this but yeah lots of British ppl were and u r not correct to assert that "parents think it's a poor career" xcept maybe in England.

My own parents (latinos with US citizenship) would only dream that I were good enuf to get onto WNT and play pro and they supported me completely in my efforts.
Messi or Ronaldo. These, in their respective manners, are the most gifted athletes ever. Watching them play is amazing. The technicalities, intricacies and flair they execute during matches can never, imo, be replaced.
Original post by cloe11

ok its impossible to tell it's based on opinion but for me id say cr7
Original post by candydiva
@StriderHort Women do not typically have the same options for careers in professional sport as men do. However that is changing and already has here in the US. U should know, a lot of parents of girls here in the US have the idea that football (soccer here) is a VERY GOOD option for both college scholarship and even professional success. US WNT has a deep and intense following that is just not understandable to most Europeans who still seem to have a rather closed and medieval view of women's sports significance. Like in the last 5 years women's footy has advanced to the point it's barely tolerated on mainstream TV in Europe but here it's been all-in since our WC win in 1999 and our multiple wins since then :biggrin:

No argument there and seems pretty much what I said

(Nothing personal, but i'm not really wanting to continue a one sided convo where the OP has weirded out, scrubbed their post and left me looking daft :tongue: )
Kemar roofe
Original post by CaptainDuckie

I agree with this, if you take Leo & Ronaldo as they enter the pitch today and plop them on a pitch from another eras they'd be just as dominant and probably better then the previous era greats.

But I think their is something unfair about this as you have to judge them relative to what they had, technology, sport science, rehabilitation, diet and fitness coaching today is incomparable to what other generations had so you can never get a true like for like.

Lets just appreciate the best of each generation, and not try to split the greats.
—-
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
I agree with this, if you take Leo & Ronaldo as they enter the pitch today and plop them on a pitch from another eras they'd be just as dominant and probably better then the previous era greats.

But I think their is something unfair about this as you have to judge them relative to what they had, technology, sport science, rehabilitation, diet and fitness coaching today is incomparable to what other generations had so you can never get a true like for like.

Lets just appreciate the best of each generation, and not try to split the greats.

Fair point. Re reading the title does say “Best footballer ever” so I was mistaken. Both generations eras are of course incomparable. I thought it read as “Best footballer” not “Best footballer ever”

Quick Reply

Latest