The Student Room Group

Unis in adjustment last year

Does anyone knows which were in adjustment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tashax2
Does anyone knows which were in adjustment?

There's no formal list but it was just about all of them. Even Cambridge, though that was a special scheme they only started last year.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
There's no formal list but it was just about all of them. Even Cambridge, though that was a special scheme they only started last year.

Oh okay great thank you , do you know if they lower the gcse grade requirements in clearing ?
Original post by Tashax2
Oh okay great thank you , do you know if they lower the gcse grade requirements in clearing ?

For which course and which requirement?

Subject specific GCSE requirements aren't usually negotiable.
is there any way to find out which unis will be in adjustment? similarly, is there any way to find out which unis will be/were in clearing last year?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
For which course and which requirement?

Subject specific GCSE requirements aren't usually negotiable.

Business and usually it’s a grade 6/5 but I have a 4
Original post by Tashax2
Business and usually it’s a grade 6/5 but I have a 4

They're asking for a grade 6/5 in business GCSE and you have a 4?
Or is this a maths requirement?

If you don't meet the maths requirement then you're not likely to get an offer in clearing or otherwise - universities will not set you up to fail their course.

You've still got time to resit maths GCSE this year if you want to
Original post by lilacprague
is there any way to find out which unis will be in adjustment? similarly, is there any way to find out which unis will be/were in clearing last year?

ask the universities - although most universities won't know their vacancies for adjustment until August....and with uncertainty over the date of A level results this year I doubt adjustment will even take place.

All but around 5 universities were IN clearing last year. They might not have been in clearing for your course or with the sort of grades you'd like though.

Why are you planning for clearing now?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
They're asking for a grade 6/5 in business GCSE and you have a 4?
Or is this a maths requirement?

If you don't meet the maths requirement then you're not likely to get an offer in clearing or otherwise - universities will not set you up to fail their course.

You've still got time to resit maths GCSE this year if you want to

Yes sorry I wasn’t clear ! It’s a maths requirement- I wish it was a business requirement as I have a distinction, I wanted to resit but I couldn’t do it with my school as it was too late to! But because of that I had to settle for the unis I applied to ( I’ve made a few threads before and I think you’ve replied before) but I’ve thought about it and im not that happy with some of the choices I made because I settled so I was thinking of going through adjustment this summer but I guess if I did it wouldn’t be for business then
Original post by Tashax2
Yes sorry I wasn’t clear ! It’s a maths requirement- I wish it was a business requirement as I have a distinction, I wanted to resit but I couldn’t do it with my school as it was too late to! But because of that I had to settle for the unis I applied to ( I’ve made a few threads before and I think you’ve replied before) but I’ve thought about it and im not that happy with some of the choices I made because I settled so I was thinking of going through adjustment this summer but I guess if I did it wouldn’t be for business then

Where a university has a Maths GCSE requirement it is non negotiable. They ask for it as proof your Maths is up to a required standard to ensure you can complete the course. Most universities ask for a higher grade for Maths for business although you might well find some who will accept you without it. Your other option is to look at a different course that doesnt have the same need for Maths.

Aberystwyth for example do not require a grade 6 in GCSE Maths for their business courses

A minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent) English or Welsh is a requirement for entry to all our degree schemes. Business, Mathematics, Psychology and Science degree schemes also require a minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
Where a university has a Maths GCSE requirement it is non negotiable. They ask for it as proof your Maths is up to a required standard to ensure you can complete the course. Most universities ask for a higher grade for Maths for business although you might well find some who will accept you without it. Your other option is to look at a different course that doesnt have the same need for Maths.

Aberystwyth for example do not require a grade 6 in GCSE Maths for their business courses

A minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent) English or Welsh is a requirement for entry to all our degree schemes. Business, Mathematics, Psychology and Science degree schemes also require a minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent).

Yes I have applied to 5 unis that accept a grade 4 but I feel like I settled because my a level grades are quite high in comparison to the grades I need for the unis due to the requirements, if you get me ? Thank you for letting me know i will probs just stick with my offers or go through adjustment for a different course
Original post by Tashax2
Yes I have applied to 5 unis that accept a grade 4 but I feel like I settled because my a level grades are quite high in comparison to the grades I need for the unis due to the requirements, if you get me ? Thank you for letting me know i will probs just stick with my offers or go through adjustment for a different course

There are many who dont require GCSE Maths above a grade 4. Have a look through ucas course search and you can then view your options and decide.
Reply 12
There are many who dont require GCSE Maths above a grade 4. Have a look through ucas course search and you can then view your options and decide.

Yes I’ve applied to those who don’t require one but because the unis I wanted to apply to ( majority of Russell group ) needed a grade 6 I couldn’t apply so I had to find other unis which I’m not that happy with.
Original post by Tashax2
Yes I’ve applied to those who don’t require one but because the unis I wanted to apply to ( majority of Russell group ) needed a grade 6 I couldn’t apply so I had to find other unis which I’m not that happy with.

You have the choice of taking a gap year and resitting your Maths GCSE or going to the best university you can. It is extremely unlikely any top university will accept you with grade 4 Maths unless they take you for a foundation course which will be very expensive and use up your bonus year of funding.
Reply 15
You have the choice of taking a gap year and resitting your Maths GCSE or going to the best university you can. It is extremely unlikely any top university will accept you with grade 4 Maths unless they take you for a foundation course which will be very expensive and use up your bonus year of funding.

Yes I know . I have applied to 2 Russell groups who need a grade 4 and I currently hold offers from 1 and I’m still waiting on the 2nd so I think I will be alright
Original post by Tashax2
Yes I know . I have applied to 2 Russell groups who need a grade 4 and I currently hold offers from 1 and I’m still waiting on the 2nd so I think I will be alright

Dont worry whether a university is RG or not as it is meaningless. RG is just a marketing group set up to protect their member universities who feared losing research funding. It is nothing more and doesnt tell you whether you will be happy or whether the course and place is right for you. Just ignore the RG thing and go for the university that is right for you and ignore RG and rankings. Some of the universities outside the RG are every bit as good as many in it.
Original post by PQ
ask the universities - although most universities won't know their vacancies for adjustment until August....and with uncertainty over the date of A level results this year I doubt adjustment will even take place.

All but around 5 universities were IN clearing last year. They might not have been in clearing for your course or with the sort of grades you'd like though.

Why are you planning for clearing now?

hi, thanks for responding
I think I'm going to try and call up the uni I'm interested - KCL for biomed only
I didn't actually apply for KCL on UCAS, but am wishing I had and wanting to go there, so am just trying to check out any options available to get there. I don't want to take a gap year or transfer into second year ideally, so adjustment/clearing are my only options I think. Of course, August is quite a while away so I may change my mind until then, but I'm just looking at all possibilities.
What makes you say adjustment might not go ahead in relation to A-level results day?
I'm not particularly worried about my grades, I'm predicted AAA but I mean who knows what will happen this year?

I'm assuming priority is given to people in adjustment rather than people in clearing?
Also, you can use adjustment if you exceed the terms of the offer of your firm, but would that mean you can only go apply to unis via adjustment with higher entry requirements. Eg, if Manchester gave me AAB and I got AAA, would I be able to go to KCL even though their requirements are AAB?
Original post by lilacprague
hi, thanks for responding
I think I'm going to try and call up the uni I'm interested - KCL for biomed only
I didn't actually apply for KCL on UCAS, but am wishing I had and wanting to go there, so am just trying to check out any options available to get there. I don't want to take a gap year or transfer into second year ideally, so adjustment/clearing are my only options I think. Of course, August is quite a while away so I may change my mind until then, but I'm just looking at all possibilities.
What makes you say adjustment might not go ahead in relation to A-level results day?
I'm not particularly worried about my grades, I'm predicted AAA but I mean who knows what will happen this year?

I'm assuming priority is given to people in adjustment rather than people in clearing?
Also, you can use adjustment if you exceed the terms of the offer of your firm, but would that mean you can only go apply to unis via adjustment with higher entry requirements. Eg, if Manchester gave me AAB and I got AAA, would I be able to go to KCL even though their requirements are AAB?

There's no priority for adjustment v clearing.
Adjustment is TINY compared to clearing 0.1% of placed applicants get a place via adjustment (about 700 people), 21% get a place via Clearing (over 100,000 people). Adjustment is also restricted to 5 calendar days after A level results day - which is why the discussions around the exact date of A level results this year mean there is a reasonable chance that adjustment will not run this year.

You don't have to wait until Clearing to apply to KCL. Talk to them about whether they expect your course to be open in Extra. If they will be then you can decline your offers or withdraw from them and apply to KCL in a couple of weeks time when Extra opens.
Reply 19
So in adjustment if i get ABB on results day and in adjustment the offers are BBB can i still apply to them or can i only apply to ABB+ courses? Also do they not lower the grades in adjustment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending