The Student Room Group

GCSE to A-Level Languages

Hi,
I am currently doing French and German at GCSE and I am hoping to do them both at A-Level next year. Does anyone have any tips on what to do over the summer to prepare for A-Level and the 'jump' from GCSE to A-Level?
Also how much did your speaking improve in A-Level, particularly spontaneously speaking? I'm worried about this as I don't really speak French at all in my lessons at the moment.

Thank you :smile:
Focus on enjoying your languages over the summer - watch films and tv in the languages, find music that you like, podcasts and audiobooks that you enjoy... do some grammar if you enjoy it, but don't worry too much if you don't. Finding a penfriend or language exchange partner might also be fun, and will certainly help your language! Even though you won't understand native-level resources like music and books fully yet, exposing yourself (particularly in terms of listening) and practicing regularly whilst enjoying it will make understanding them once you have more vocab and more grammatical confidence, much easier. Let me know if you want any recommendations for either language, but particularly French as I tend to listen and read more in French than in German.
Original post by redmeercat
Focus on enjoying your languages over the summer - watch films and tv in the languages, find music that you like, podcasts and audiobooks that you enjoy... do some grammar if you enjoy it, but don't worry too much if you don't. Finding a penfriend or language exchange partner might also be fun, and will certainly help your language! Even though you won't understand native-level resources like music and books fully yet, exposing yourself (particularly in terms of listening) and practicing regularly whilst enjoying it will make understanding them once you have more vocab and more grammatical confidence, much easier. Let me know if you want any recommendations for either language, but particularly French as I tend to listen and read more in French than in German.

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for either language? Particularly German but any is great :smile:
Original post by average_human
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for either language? Particularly German but any is great :smile:

German:
- If you have netflix, Wer Kann Der Kann is good for language learning, as it's quite a visual series anyway, so you can see what all the new vocab means without looking it up!
- Harry Potter audiobooks - Castbox/ audible. Listening to something that you already know quite well can be nice, as you can follow the story more easily.
- Aktuelle News
- Charite (netflix)
- The only German music I regularly listen to is Hillsong Deutsch, but I'm sure you'll find some good artists if you search up popular musicians!
- Disney songs/ films/ etc

French
- Harry Potter again...
- Call my Agent (netflix)
- Danny Boon (comedian, netflix)
- Montreux comedy (youtube)
- Les Astuce de Margaux (youtube)
- Le Monde (news site)
- Hugodecrypt (Youtub)
- Zaz (music)
- La Famille Belier (film)
- More Disney
- BB Brunes (music)
German:
- If you have netflix, Wer Kann Der Kann is good for language learning, as it's quite a visual series anyway, so you can see what all the new vocab means without looking it up!
- Harry Potter audiobooks - Castbox/ audible. Listening to something that you already know quite well can be nice, as you can follow the story more easily.
- Aktuelle News
- Charite (netflix)
- The only German music I regularly listen to is Hillsong Deutsch, but I'm sure you'll find some good artists if you search up popular musicians!

French
- Harry Potter again...
- Le Monde (news site)
- Hugodecrypt (Youtub)
- Zaz (music)
- More Disney
- BB Brunes (music)

wow thank you! when watching it on Netflix, would you recommend english or french subtitles ?
wow thank you! when watching it on Netflix, would you recommend english or french subtitles ?

I'd say that it's probably more helpful to use French subtitles, but that that's really exhausting so maybe alternate so that you can enjoy more easily? Anne with an E with French audio is also good.
I'd say that it's probably more helpful to use French subtitles, but that that's really exhausting so maybe alternate so that you can enjoy more easily? Anne with an E with French audio is also good.

thanks
German:
- Aktuelle News
- Charite (netflix)

French
- Harry Potter again...
- Le Monde (news site)
- Hugodecrypt (Youtub)
- Zaz (music)
- More Disney
- BB Brunes (music)

OoO one extra show that i would add to the french category would be the show Lupin (on netflix) it is really good and interesting!
Original post by hijabibubbles
OoO one extra show that i would add to the french category would be the show Lupin (on netflix) it is really good and interesting!

yes I've heard about this! I'm going to start watching it, thanks :smile:

ps do you have subtitles in french/english ? I'm not sure I could follow if the subs were in French but if they were in English I'm worried I may not be focused on the french audio
yes I've heard about this! I'm going to start watching it, thanks :smile:

ps do you have subtitles in french/english ? I'm not sure I could follow if the subs were in French but if they were in English I'm worried I may not be focused on the french audio

Yess! Please do watch it!

I generally enjoy watching foreign shows (despite the fact that i take spanish and not french) so i generally watch it with english subs. However, before an exam, i try to find a teen show in spanish and leave the subs on spanish as well so i could learn more.
Yess! Please do watch it!

I generally enjoy watching foreign shows (despite the fact that i take spanish and not french) so i generally watch it with english subs. However, before an exam, i try to find a teen show in spanish and leave the subs on spanish as well so i could learn more.

Ok this is really helpful thanks :smile:
Ok this is really helpful thanks :smile:

hehe no problem :smile: Enjoyy watchingg!

I've been meaning to start it, nice to know it's good!
Another thought I just had - on youtube there's something called 'Extra French' which is about GCSE level, so that might be helpful if you want something that you can understand most of!
Another thought I just had - on youtube there's something called 'Extra French' which is about GCSE level, so that might be helpful if you want something that you can understand most of!

I was aware of this because we had to watch it for German (and they do Spanish I think?) but I didn't know they did French! thanks :smile:

Hiya! I'm planning on doing German A-level next year as well. One Netflix show I quite like is 'Dark' and I've been listening to the podcast 'Slow German' it's pretty nice because you can just have it on in the background if you're doing something.
Original post by Rebeccamaurier
Hiya! I'm planning on doing German A-level next year as well. One Netflix show I quite like is 'Dark' and I've been listening to the podcast 'Slow German' it's pretty nice because you can just have it on in the background if you're doing something.

thanks for that! I will check the podcast out. I actually started watching Dark ages ago but got creeped out after the first episode-I might have to try it again :smile:
Have a look on Amazon for resources.

French films
Madeline
Les Miserables

French work and storybooks are pretty easy to find too. Try looking on Amazon for starters and also try to use the search feature on your local library website. Alternatively look at the limited selection on Goodreads, read a few different independent reviews or go to your local bookshop to see what is on offer. You can also even pop onto Facebook in order to buy stuff that uni students do not really need anymore, join a student group for this. You can even order some useful workbooks directly yourself as well.
Try joining a language society locally for some more moral and emotional support. Another very good source from which to buy resources is the official company website of WHS, there is a dedicated specific language section on there. Definitely check individual personalised recommendations out and then perhaps decide. This is yet another weblink* (see below) to another useful handy website that has a lot of good work and story books in different languages to purchase; filter the search results which you see carefully however- https://www.grantandcutler.com.

I hope that this is useful. Good luck to you. Do not just pay attention to the overall cost or the number of pages either. Trust your gut instinct. Listen to your inner voice. Read the resource properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending