The Student Room Group

PGCE

Did an English Literature MA 6 years ago (awarded late 2014) and not done much other than clear debts by doing rubbish jobs ever since. Looking at applying for PGCE in post-compulsory education later this year, once I've passed Functional Skills Level 2 Maths.

Does anyone have any experience of getting back into education after a long period out? It seems quite daunting. Will I be expected to explain this huge gap in my studies? And how do I go about getting a reference if the staff who actually knew me at the universities I went to are no longer there?
Original post by devopunch91
Did an English Literature MA 6 years ago (awarded late 2014) and not done much other than clear debts by doing rubbish jobs ever since. Looking at applying for PGCE in post-compulsory education later this year, once I've passed Functional Skills Level 2 Maths.

Does anyone have any experience of getting back into education after a long period out? It seems quite daunting. Will I be expected to explain this huge gap in my studies? And how do I go about getting a reference if the staff who actually knew me at the universities I went to are no longer there?

Hello!

It is great to hear you are going back into education!

You would not need to to explain a gap in education,, anyone can come back into education at any time. If you have been working, it will just contribute to your work experience and there is more to include on your personal statement!

I know that YSJ accepts references from recent employers if an applicant has been out of education for as long as you have, so it is likely other universities will do the same! I would recommend looking into the reference information on the websites of the universities you are applying to or emailing their admissions team.

However, it is worth noting that functional skills are not accepted as an alternative to GCSE Mathematics for teaching in many cases. Alternatives such as the equivalency tests are, but they will be listed on the university website. This is due to the teaching standards the government set so its definitely worth looking into.

Good luck!
Lydia :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello!

It is great to hear you are going back into education!

You would not need to to explain a gap in education,, anyone can come back into education at any time. If you have been working, it will just contribute to your work experience and there is more to include on your personal statement!

I know that YSJ accepts references from recent employers if an applicant has been out of education for as long as you have, so it is likely other universities will do the same! I would recommend looking into the reference information on the websites of the universities you are applying to or emailing their admissions team.

However, it is worth noting that functional skills are not accepted as an alternative to GCSE Mathematics for teaching in many cases. Alternatives such as the equivalency tests are, but they will be listed on the university website. This is due to the teaching standards the government set so its definitely worth looking into.

Good luck!
Lydia :smile:

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your reply, that’s reassuring to know a lengthy period out won’t count against me.

I’ve already been in touch with Admissions at the university I’m applying to and thankfully they accept Functional Skills in lieu of GCSEs!

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending