The Student Room Group

Best First Car for under £20k for 19 Year old?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bumble18
Get an older, below 1.4 litre engine with 3 doors (unless you have kids, avoid 3 doors if you do lol). Significantly cheaper insurance whilst you build yourself up :smile: I went for a 5yr old Ford KA and it’s not the fastest or comfiest car ever, but less than £600 for insurance and im 21

yeah I most likely will get a seat ibiza
Original post by hotpud
If you have £25k, put £24k in the bank and buy a car you don't mind scratching / writing off. I did all my accidents under the age of 25 and having had a nice car once, they are just money pits. Save your money. There are cheaper ways of showing everyone else how rich you are!

lmao honestly I never really tell my homies how much money I have because no one wants the fake money grabbing friends.like I said I come from a poor area so even wearing a 3k watch would make you a target.
Original post by hotpud
A car is a car is a car. It gets you from a to b. Sure you can spend lots of money but most people will only see you as an A hole or a spoiled brat.

There are many better uses for that money. Travel the world. Experience the best food / theatre / art. Buy an experience in a Lamborghini. But don't waste it on a set of everyday wheels.

hi , thanks for your reply.

firstly I have no intention to be the typical daddys boy with a lambo.

I make my own money. I don't have rich parents however I do understand why you make think that considering there are very few self-made teenagers.
I have made a post stateing how I make most of my money incase you still think I don't earn my money.god bless
Hey! Do you any tips on how to get started with investing money?
Original post by FakeNobody
So basically , I just turned 19 and I figured it is now a good time to buy my first car after having my licence for over a year lol. I was avoiding buying a car as its a liability and will only cost money and never make money but I have decided to buy a car due to my hard work I have been doing and I feel like I deserve a little treat (not trying to brag but just keeping it real)

I'm quite uneducated on cars, I obviously know about MPG and insurance costs and all that but I have no clue what cars are best for beginners. I don't want something that's too flashy as I don't want to make myself a target lol.

I have allocated 25k of my funds for the car and insurance.
I was thinking of these cars

BMW 5 series
Mercedes A series

But could anyone give me any more recommendations? I come from a pretty poor family which no one drives so they couldn't offer any knowledge except there love and support lol. So if anyone has any knowledge then please let me know . god bless.

You're going to realise that any money u save now is crucial for the future. Just buy a simple modern vw or a toyota.
What a waste of money.
So basically , I just turned 19 and I figured it is now a good time to buy my first car after having my licence for over a year lol. I was avoiding buying a car as its a liability and will only cost money and never make money but I have decided to buy a car due to my hard work I have been doing and I feel like I deserve a little treat (not trying to brag but just keeping it real)

I'm quite uneducated on cars, I obviously know about MPG and insurance costs and all that but I have no clue what cars are best for beginners. I don't want something that's too flashy as I don't want to make myself a target lol.

I have allocated 25k of my funds for the car and insurance.
I was thinking of these cars

BMW 5 series
Mercedes A series

But could anyone give me any more recommendations? I come from a pretty poor family which no one drives so they couldn't offer any knowledge except there love and support lol. So if anyone has any knowledge then please let me know . god bless.

You evidently know nothing about insurance costs. You're not going to get a reasonable quote on a BMW or Merc as a first car for a 19 year old. Go buy yourself a Golf or something.
Original post by siodvcnseuv
Hey! Do you any tips on how to get started with investing money?

investing is 90% prediction and 10% statistical.

I have never read a book or took a course in investing yet i have 1500% yearly profit margins.
Original post by abc dribble
You evidently know nothing about insurance costs. You're not going to get a reasonable quote on a BMW or Merc as a first car for a 19 year old. Go buy yourself a Golf or something.

well at the time I did say I willing be putting 5k aside for insurance? I'm pretty sure that would have covered it.
Original post by YaliaV123
What a waste of money.

agreed, although technically a phone is also a waste of money or atleast excessive if it cost more than £15
Original post by hotpud
A car is a car is a car. It gets you from a to b. Sure you can spend lots of money but most people will only see you as an A hole or a spoiled brat.

There are many better uses for that money. Travel the world. Experience the best food / theatre / art. Buy an experience in a Lamborghini. But don't waste it on a set of everyday wheels.

I'd disagree personally, they can do far more than A to B, My sportyish car has been my all time favourite thing for the last 18 months, it's like owning my own roller coaster... the experience i get in terms of joy, comfort, pride... a budget vanilla hatch simply cannot compete. The mopey faces I see on some drivers...

My philosophy is broadly to invest in the things you use most, so an everyday car is 100% something i'll spend on. a driving exp might be a dream for some, but a different thing to ownership. So far my car has cost me less than 1 days rent of a Ferrari or Lambo and I've got waaaay better value.
Original post by StriderHort
I'd disagree personally, they can do far more than A to B, My sportyish car has been my all time favourite thing for the last 18 months, it's like owning my own roller coaster... the experience i get in terms of joy, comfort, pride... a budget vanilla hatch simply cannot compete. The mopey faces I see on some drivers...

My philosophy is broadly to invest in the things you use most, so an everyday car is 100% something i'll spend on. a driving exp might be a dream for some, but a different thing to ownership. So far my car has cost me less than 1 days rent of a Ferrari or Lambo and I've got waaaay better value.

I have a similar philosophy however I also believe that life is short and tommorow is not promised so you might aswell have as much fun while "staying in your lane" I don't sweat the small stuff is what I mean.
firstly thanks for replying!

secondly , the 25k is just taken out of my investment porfolio.

Aswell what kind of cheap car would you recommend?

and just a tip , never store large amounts of funds in a bank. Invest Invest Invest. you can make unreal profits if you try. sorry I know this is out of topic.

I found a used Mazda 2006-2007 model that was great, looked 5 year younger then it was. If you wanna save money and get a bummin around car, I would do some research and get smth used of good value. Bring someone with you to look at cars if u do that tho.
1. VW up!/Skoda Citigo/SEAT Mii

2. Kia Picanto

3. Ford Fiesta

4. SEAT Ibiza
Original post by kaihrgordon12
I found a used Mazda 2006-2007 model that was great, looked 5 year younger then it was. If you wanna save money and get a bummin around car, I would do some research and get smth used of good value. Bring someone with you to look at cars if u do that tho.

what like a mechanic?
what like a mechanic?

No, just someone who's either bought a used car before or do some research so u know the red flags and stuff before u start looking. Smth like that
would you say a Mazda 3 is a good choice?

One of my boring cars is a Mazda6. I discounted the Mazda3 because I didn't like the driving position - I was hunched-up (6'). Itherwise, they tend to be reliable. As ever, check for model-specific common issues and have a professional inspection.
Original post by StriderHort

I commute in my McLaren. I can't say that it's cheap, but plenty of smiles per gallon.
Original post by hotpud
A car is a car is a car. It gets you from a to b.

Or A to A with a big smile, if you buy the right one ..

Original post by hotpud

That's for each person, who's lucky enough to be able to, to decide for themselves.
well at the time I did say I willing be putting 5k aside for insurance? I'm pretty sure that would have covered it.

You do realise how insanely high £5k pa is for insurance, right? An absolute max of £2k is reasonable insurance on a first car, obviously depending on where you live, and even that's for a Golf. Something like a Fiesta will be a few hundred less.

Quick Reply

Latest