The Student Room Group

Keir Starmer is the most competitive Labour candidate since Tony Blair

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AidenPearce2020
Thoughts?

Compared to Blair, Starmer is quite anti- Europe. Starmer is a Brexiteer who wants a more distant relationship with Europe.
Original post by DSilva
I didn't think he was. But if you keep supporting the Tories on absolutely everything then it becomes harder to say he isn't.

He doesn’t support the Tories on absolutely everything, are you awake? Have you been watching British politics for the last year?
Original post by Ambitious1999
Compared to Blair, Starmer is quite anti- Europe. Starmer is a Brexiteer who wants a more distant relationship with Europe.

He’s not actually, when the issue arose, he was a figurehead for the anti-Brexit movement. The reason he’s been supporting Johnson’s Brexit is the same as everyone else, the issue had passed and was stifling British politics and it needed to be done as soon as possible.
Reply 43
Original post by jackmarshal757
He doesn’t support the Tories on absolutely everything, are you awake? Have you been watching British politics for the last year?

Why did he support them on keeping schools open when the science clearly showed it was a bad idea, teachers were strongly against it and the public were overwhelmingly against it?
I'm not sure stuff like taking the knee endeared him to blue collar red wall voters he needs. Now he is trying to come across as a patriot and wrap himself in the flag. He is starting to look like a man standing at the side of the road looking for a bandwagon to jump on.
Original post by DSilva
Why did he support them on keeping schools open when the science clearly showed it was a bad idea, teachers were strongly against it and the public were overwhelmingly against it?

Because keeping children away from schools is detrimental to their learning.

Also just because the public were overwhelmingly against it means nothing. To begin with, when the pandemic started, people wanted schools to close. When the effect of no schools became clear, they wanted them open. They wanted schools closed, then they blame the government on education and want them open and then want them closed, acting like a bunch of moaning whining children.
Reply 46
Because keeping children away from schools is detrimental to their learning.

Also just because the public were overwhelmingly against it means nothing. To begin with, when the pandemic started, people wanted schools to close. When the effect of no schools became clear, they wanted them open. They wanted schools closed, then they blame the government on education and want them open and then want them closed, acting like a bunch of moaning whining children.

Of course is is. Yet the science had proven beyond doubt it was a massive source of spreading coronavirus.

The government were always going to u turn on it. The position for Labour to take from a scientific, ethical and political standpoint was utterly obvious.

Starmer was out flanked on the issue BY Jeremy Hunt.

And Labour refused to oppose the Spycops bill, or the cutting of international aid (they were out flanked on this by David Cameron...).

What exactly do Labour oppose the government on?
Original post by DSilva
Of course is is. Yet the science had proven beyond doubt it was a massive source of spreading coronavirus.

The government were always going to u turn on it. The position for Labour to take from a scientific, ethical and political standpoint was utterly obvious.

Starmer was out flanked on the issue BY Jeremy Hunt.

And Labour refused to oppose the Spycops bill, or the cutting of international aid (they were out flanked on this by David Cameron...).

What exactly do Labour oppose the government on?

It’s extremely difficult for Labour to oppose anything when they are a minority within parliamentary
Reply 48
It’s extremely difficult for Labour to oppose anything when they are a minority within parliamentary

They can make their voice hold the government to account. They aren't doing so.

Again, Ed Miliband a few months ago made Johnson look small and showed him up for what he is. Why can't Starmer do that?
Original post by DSilva
They can make their voice hold the government to account. They aren't doing so.

Again, Ed Miliband a few months ago made Johnson look small and showed him up for what he is. Why can't Starmer do that?

Because Starmer is Captain Hindsight
Original post by -Imperator-
I'm a conservative, but I'll vote for Labour if Mr. Johnson stands for re-election in 2024.

I’m a conservative and Mr Johnson didn’t get my vote the first time, and he won’t the next time, but I don’t think I’d ever stoop to voting Labour. :wink:
Because Starmer is Captain Hindsight

Haha well observed.
Original post by imlikeahermit
I’m a conservative and Mr Johnson didn’t get my vote the first time, and he won’t the next time, but I don’t think I’d ever stoop to voting Labour. :wink:

If you’re an actual conservative then yes, you would not vote Labour

Alienated and exasperated people often do vote tactically or as a protest statement.
As many traditional Labour and Liberal supporters did in 1979, 1983 and 1987.
Just as many traditional Conservative supporters did in 1997, 2001 and 2005.

You'd think so but some people so strange things.

If Boris lost the union for example I would probably vote Labour to punish him and ensure he was no longer PM albeit that's an extreme example.
Original post by -Imperator-
I'm a conservative, but I'll vote for Labour if Mr. Johnson stands for re-election in 2024.

Have you considered the Lib Dems too? :biggrin:
Original post by Rakas21
You'd think so but some people so strange things.

If Boris lost the union for example I would probably vote Labour to punish him and ensure he was no longer PM albeit that's an extreme example.

See I just wouldn’t vote. The ironic thing is that anyway I vote in the next GE my taxes are going up regardless.
Original post by imlikeahermit
See I just wouldn’t vote. The ironic thing is that anyway I vote in the next GE my taxes are going up regardless.

I don't think I could bring myself not to vote.
Original post by Rakas21
I don't think I could bring myself not to vote.

See, in a totalitarian you don’t have these moral issues... :biggrin:
Original post by londonmyst
Have you considered the Lib Dems too? :biggrin:

Lib Dem’s are just fence sitters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending