The Student Room Group

Recurring thrush

TMI 😭

Since July 2020, I’ve been having recurring episodes of thrush. I bought the canesten cream and apply continuously for 7-14 days. I will then have one week symptom free and the week after my symptoms come back. I’ve been in contact with my gp over the phone as due to the pandemic they were not taking patients who were not seen as urgent.😩 the gp just prescribed the cream twice.
It’s now February 2021, no signs of getting better. At this point it’s irritating and becoming a havoc In my life.
I would like to say that due to the pandemic I have been binge eating a LOT of ice cream. I realised that coke was also something that triggered my thrush so I cut that out. I am now wondering whether it has something to do with my diet or do I have go get a blood test as I’ve heard people been dianogised with conditions of diabetes to what not.
whats your question 😅
Yes, your diet may well be contributing. It would still be a good idea to try and contact your GP though to make sire there is nothing else going on..
Original post by bgwti55
TMI 😭

Since July 2020, I’ve been having recurring episodes of thrush. I bought the canesten cream and apply continuously for 7-14 days. I will then have one week symptom free and the week after my symptoms come back. I’ve been in contact with my gp over the phone as due to the pandemic they were not taking patients who were not seen as urgent.😩 the gp just prescribed the cream twice.
It’s now February 2021, no signs of getting better. At this point it’s irritating and becoming a havoc In my life.
I would like to say that due to the pandemic I have been binge eating a LOT of ice cream. I realised that coke was also something that triggered my thrush so I cut that out. I am now wondering whether it has something to do with my diet or do I have go get a blood test as I’ve heard people been dianogised with conditions of diabetes to what not.

have you been tested for PCOS?
Original post by A Rolling Stone
have you been tested for PCOS?

PCOS doesn't cause thrush
Original post by black tea
PCOS doesn't cause thrush

PCOS is associated with thrush
Original post by A Rolling Stone
PCOS is associated with thrush

only if there are issue with blood sugar regulation, which only some people with PCOS have
Original post by bgwti55
TMI 😭

I think it would be worth asking for a Fasting Blood Test to rule out diabetes. I had same as you (for some years) before it was discovered that I have diabetes as a result of going to out of hours GP for UTI where they did a dip test of the urine.
I do still get thrush from time to time (side effect of some meds) and I use the oral thrush tablet, the cream is not strong enough. You can buy online (cheaper that OTC) or go to an independent pharmacy or one at the supermarket like ASDA etc (not Boots), search for 'Fluconazole', you don't need branded. Take one, if comes back, take a second one week/10 days later but not more than that without seeing GP.
Original post by bgwti55
TMI 😭

A lot of recurrent thrush cases are caused due to soaps/shower gels etc killing the good bacteria that would normally prevent thrush, the NHS advises using water and emollient cream, such as E45 cream, to wash the affected area instead.

But like a lot of people have said, it's best to talk to your GP about it as they'd be able to advise you better than any of us and can consider other possible reasons. If they keep prescribing creams, the best thing to do is just stress to them how long it's been going on, the distress it's causing you and that the creams are not solving the problem. Also if you don't feel comfortable talking about it with a male then you can request a female doctor instead should you wish
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SharonMoxon
I think it would be worth asking for a Fasting Blood Test to rule out diabetes. I had same as you (for some years) before it was discovered that I have diabetes as a result of going to out of hours GP for UTI where they did a dip test of the urine.
I do still get thrush from time to time (side effect of some meds) and I use the oral thrush tablet, the cream is not strong enough. You can buy online (cheaper that OTC) or go to an independent pharmacy or one at the supermarket like ASDA etc (not Boots), search for 'Fluconazole', you don't need branded. Take one, if comes back, take a second one week/10 days later but not more than that without seeing GP.

How old were you when you found out you had diabetes? Type I or II? This is my absolute fear omg.
I have a thrush infection atm that is really hard to shift. Now im scared lol
Original post by Anonymous
How old were you when you found out you had diabetes? Type I or II? This is my absolute fear omg.
I have a thrush infection atm that is really hard to shift. Now im scared lol

Hi, I was just turning 39 into 40, reckon I'd had it for around 3 years before diagnosed. Type 2 (late onset). I had had almost continual thrush treatment with wax pessaries (so messy!) that didn't shift it so surprised no-one thought of it. By the time diagnosed, I had lost lots of weight, had the thirst that is a well known symptom and was beginning to be exhausted (but they attributed that to having 2 jobs). Get checked out and please don't fear it. I've had it now 21 years since diagnosis and still very much here.
Original post by SharonMoxon
Hi, I was just turning 39 into 40, reckon I'd had it for around 3 years before diagnosed. Type 2 (late onset). I had had almost continual thrush treatment with wax pessaries (so messy!) that didn't shift it so surprised no-one thought of it. By the time diagnosed, I had lost lots of weight, had the thirst that is a well known symptom and was beginning to be exhausted (but they attributed that to having 2 jobs). Get checked out and please don't fear it. I've had it now 21 years since diagnosis and still very much here.

I might ring the GP tomorrow then. I have had thrush for a few weeks and have had 2 or 3 treatments for it and still isnt shifting. Im 23 but my dad is type 2 diabetic so i am at higher risk. I know its just hard not to fear it when i see the reality of diabetes with my dad.

Ive already had to go to the GP 2 times in the last two months now so they are definitely going to think im a hyperchondriac😐
I might ring the GP tomorrow then. I have had thrush for a few weeks and have had 2 or 3 treatments for it and still isnt shifting. Im 23 but my dad is type 2 diabetic so i am at higher risk. I know its just hard not to fear it when i see the reality of diabetes with my dad.

Ive already had to go to the GP 2 times in the last two months now so they are definitely going to think im a hyperchondriac😐

Having thrush doesn't make you a hypochondriac! It's a really common problem so don't worry about speaking to them again.
Original post by black tea
Having thrush doesn't make you a hypochondriac! It's a really common problem so don't worry about speaking to them again.

It's more mentioning the diabetes which i feel will make me look like a hyperchondriac, especially at 23.
They know i have thrush because they prescribed me with medication for it a few weeks ago, it hasnt worked overly well though so i will have to contact them about it.
Sometimes you just feel you are hassling them.
It's more mentioning the diabetes which i feel will make me look like a hyperchondriac, especially at 23.
They know i have thrush because they prescribed me with medication for it a few weeks ago, it hasnt worked overly well though so i will have to contact them about it.
Sometimes you just feel you are hassling them.

If the treatment hasn't worked, you need to speak to them anyway, so you wouldn't really be hassling them. If you are worried about them thinking you are a hypochondriac, you can phrase it in a neutral way, e.g. say you have read that diabetes can cause recurrent thrush and is that something they need to be checking for in your case.

Quick Reply

Latest