The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc Social Science of the Internet (Oxford Internet Institute) 2021-22

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! I just submitted my application and I have a quick question regarding the writing sample...I submitted a writing sample from a class I took in uni, but it did not have a bibliography (although I cited in-text). This is because the professor did not require us to submit a bibliography for the writing assignment since it's an argumentative piece and the text to be consulted was the same for the entire class. Will this be an issue? Should I reupload the sample with a bibliography? Thank you, and best of luck to you all!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 61
Original post by telepoes
Hi everyone! I just submitted my application and I have a quick question regarding the writing sample...I submitted a writing sample from a class I took in uni, but it did not have a bibliography (although I cited in-text). This is because the professor did not require us to submit a bibliography for the writing assignment since it's an argumentative piece and the text to be consulted was the same for the entire class. Will this be an issue? Should I reupload the sample with a bibliography? Thank you, and best of luck to you all!

To play safe, I would suggest YES - to include the bibliography. But of course, by rules, you may not be able to upload a new one once your application status becomes “Ready for Assessment”. And if that’s the case, I think it will still be fine as you did cite in-text.

Best of luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by eleectrica
Hello!
I just submitted my application yesterday, and i’m already nervous about it. Not sure I’ll be able to wait 10 weeks :smile:
Regarding the statement, I don’t think it would be detrimental per se not having a specific research project, as long as you are clear about the area you are interested in. My tutor did however mention that expressing what you intend to research can show the admissions team that you have a clear plan and goal in mind.
Good luck with your application and to everyone awaiting results!

Thank you! What did you state for your intentions, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by NancyFG
Thank you! What did you state for your intentions, if you don't mind me asking?

Hey,
I don't really feel to comfortable being very specific about my research proposal :smile: However, I can tell you that I did mention the research method which I intend to use, the object of study and the rationale behind the thesis. Don't know if that will be of much help
Reply 64
Original post by eleectrica
Hey,
I don't really feel to comfortable being very specific about my research proposal :smile: However, I can tell you that I did mention the research method which I intend to use, the object of study and the rationale behind the thesis. Don't know if that will be of much help

Thanks, totally understood. Its just that I have no specific thesis as yet, as i come from industry. Just some areas that I am interested in so I don't know if that will be good enough for the personal statement. Do I need to have a specific research proposal?
Original post by NancyFG
Thanks, totally understood. Its just that I have no specific thesis as yet, as i come from industry. Just some areas that I am interested in so I don't know if that will be good enough for the personal statement. Do I need to have a specific research proposal?

Hello. I come from the industry as well (been working for almost three years now) and I did not specify my research proposal in the SoP. What I did was I highlighted the urgent issues in my home country relating to the internet (i'm from a developing country), what i wish to research on with relation to those issues and how significant this research will be to my home country. I also throw in a bit of background about my current work in the SoP. Hope this helps!
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there's anyone that applied by the November deadline that still haven't heard any decisions from admissions? Saw in the Oxford PG thread that there are some that applied to other courses that are still waiting for the decision. I applied for the Jan deadline so I wanted to know if I still have to wait beyond the 8-10 weeks timeline.
Reply 67
Original post by aicxhiboo
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there's anyone that applied by the November deadline that still haven't heard any decisions from admissions? Saw in the Oxford PG thread that there are some that applied to other courses that are still waiting for the decision. I applied for the Jan deadline so I wanted to know if I still have to wait beyond the 8-10 weeks timeline.

Hi. I assume those applied by Nov deadline but haven’t heard back may assume their applications have been put into “re-evaluation” with the Jan deadline.

I don’t think you need to wait beyond 8-10 weeks time for the Jan deadline. Because this is the last deadline (for full-time applicant) for the course right?

And according to what I learnt from the GradCafe, there were candidates receiving decisions in Feb in different years, though most in March for the 2nd time of evaluation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Noel_L
Hi. I assume those applied by Nov deadline but haven’t heard back may assume their applications have been put into “re-evaluation” with the Jan deadline.

I don’t think you need to wait beyond 8-10 weeks time for the Jan deadline. Because this is the last deadline (for full-time applicant) for the course right?

And according to what I learnt from the GradCafe, there were candidates receiving decisions in Feb in different years, though most in March for the 2nd time of evaluation.

make sense! thank you
Hi everyone,
Out of curiosity - does anyone know the average acceptance rate for this course?
Original post by taylor9888
Hi everyone,
Out of curiosity - does anyone know the average acceptance rate for this course?

It's been around 14% in recent years (https://www.admissionreport.com/university-of-oxford/msc-social-science-of-the-internet). I think it will be more competitive this year, though (because of the recession + pandemic).
Original post by telepoes
It's been around 14% in recent years (https://www.admissionreport.com/university-of-oxford/msc-social-science-of-the-internet). I think it will be more competitive this year, though (because of the recession + pandemic).

Thanks! That is super helpful
Reply 72
Anyone applied by the Jan deadline has heard anything? See a lot other courses started rolling out the interview invitations
Original post by Noel_L
Anyone applied by the Jan deadline has heard anything? See a lot other courses started rolling out the interview invitations

I haven’t heard anything yet. We’ll probably hear in the next few weeks or so if we’re chosen to be interviewed. All this waiting is making me really nervous haha
Reply 74
I haven’t heard anything yet. We’ll probably hear in the next few weeks or so if we’re chosen to be interviewed. All this waiting is making me really nervous haha

There were candidates receiving the decision as early as even in Feb in the past few years, so yeah, nervous as well 😂
Reply 75

How many courses did you apply?
Original post by Noel_L
How many courses did you apply?

I only managed to apply for this course :frown: I've been swamped with work for the past few weeks. hbu? and do you mind dm-ing me your profile? hehe Would love to know a little bit more about my fellow applicant.
Reply 77
I only managed to apply for this course :frown: I've been swamped with work for the past few weeks. hbu? and do you mind dm-ing me your profile? hehe Would love to know a little bit more about my fellow applicant.

Sure!
Original post by Noel_L
There were candidates receiving the decision as early as even in Feb in the past few years, so yeah, nervous as well 😂

What time in February? Late, I assume?

Also, I didn't think this course interviewed? Do they?
Reply 79
Original post by taylor9888
What time in February? Late, I assume?

Also, I didn't think this course interviewed? Do they?

Middle to late. According to the official site, interviews are likely to take place for Social Science of the Internet. Though there are have been candidates receiving offers without being interviewed. (Source: GradCafe)

Quick Reply