The Student Room Group

Power supply making electrical noise. What to do.

So I got a gaming pc about 3 months ago and after a while, I'm annoyed now. Basically, there is electrical stinging noise coming from the power supply when I turn a game on. I sat there half an hour and I'm taking a guess it's the PSU coils but I'm not sure. Could someone help me out pls
Original post by skelite21
So I got a gaming pc about 3 months ago and after a while, I'm annoyed now. Basically, there is electrical stinging noise coming from the power supply when I turn a game on. I sat there half an hour and I'm taking a guess it's the PSU coils but I'm not sure. Could someone help me out pls

Sounds like coil whine. Is it audible over the fans?
Reply 2
I don't really know what u mean in the second sentence. I have a power supply at the bottom and it's coming from somewhere there. I have no idea the exact point where it's coming from. I got the parts myself but got a company to build it for me (CYBERPOWER) I'm not sure if they made a mistake or something but I can't go and get them to check or anyone as we're in lockdown pretty much. I need to know if this can damage my pc or at least find out where it's coming from.
I don't really know what u mean in the second sentence.

Your power supply has a fan, and fans make noise. Is the sound audible over the sound of the power supply's fan?
Reply 4
The sounds is way louder
The sounds is way louder

This sounds like a defective power supply.

Can you make a recording and upload it to a video host so we can hear exactly what's going on?
Reply 6
will do when i get home
You can also see if it's coming from the other fans. Just get a finger or pencil or something while it's on and stop each fan (the CPU fan, the fans on the case, the GPU fans) and see each time if the noise stops.

Also don't open up the PSU if you ever think of doing it. That's a big no-no. Even when left off for years it will hold a fatal charge.
keep smackin it until it works
Reply 9
sorry for the late responce. heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzwVbGytYg
Does it come and go while playing? Does it stop or get worse if you push different parts of the case? If yes, particularly to the second question, then it's vibrations and resonance. If not, then it sounds dodgy.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Does it come and go while playing? Does it stop or get worse if you push different parts of the case? If yes, particularly to the second question, then it's vibrations and resonance. If not, then it sounds dodgy.

It comes and go's

Quick Reply

Latest