The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YatoSan
I'm pretty sure that my school are banking our whole grades on these mocks in the summer. Which really sucks :frown:

The consultation says that all the pieces of evidence have equal weighing.Also most likely those mocks are going to be optional.If you do not want to sit them,then you can focus on producing work for the other factors of evidence you will have to submit. But first wait for the official announcement.
Most recent quote from Boris:
"I can certainly confirm we are going to do everything we can...to get get our school children back on 8 March if we possibly can."
Doesn't sound like he's that certain to me.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56007070
Original post by letmeinunis
Most recent quote from Boris:
"I can certainly confirm we are going to do everything we can...to get get our school children back on 8 March if we possibly can."
Doesn't sound like he's that certain to me.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56007070

The infection rates in the first lockdown weren't as bad as the current ones and school closures definitely lasted more than just 2 months.. i think we wont be back till after easter
schools reopen.PNG A friend sent me this yesterday.In a few words,bad news.Online school and prioritisation for those who will be willing to sit the summer mini exams is very likely,just like in Scotland and Northern Ireland as they have already announced.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ektasmar
schools reopen.PNG A friend sent me this yesterday.In a few words,bad news.Online school and prioritisation for those who will be willing to sit the summer mini exams is very likely,just like in Scotland and Northern Ireland as they have already announced.

I wish they'd just call it a year for yr11 and 13 because we're so fed up at this point :biggrin:
Original post by letmeinunis
I wish they'd just call it a year for yr11 and 13 because we're so fed up at this point :biggrin:

It seems quite unlikely at this point.They want us to progress as fast as fast as possible.
It seems quite unlikely at this point.They want us to progress as fast as fast as possible.

Wait i dont understand.. so what happens to the current year 13s?
Original post by .2.0.0.3.
Wait i dont understand.. so what happens to the current year 13s?

Most probably there is going to be an optional exam series with the appropriate adjustments needed for those who want to prove themselves. Those who choose not to do them might experience a situation just like last year
Most probably there is going to be an optional exam series with the appropriate adjustments needed for those who want to prove themselves. Those who choose not to do them might experience a situation just like last year

Do you think this will be the case for Y11s? I would like this idea, i wouldn't want to do any exams.
Original post by vibinhard
Do you think this will be the case for Y11s? I would like this idea, i wouldn't want to do any exams.

Almost definitely but I am thinking about all the grade inflation that will happen with the students who will get a grade based on their past mocks,assessments and any pieces work you have completed.Those who will sit the assessments will prove themselves better.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by YatoSan
I'm pretty sure that my school are banking our whole grades on these mocks in the summer. Which really sucks :frown:

Your school can't be banking on anything until the results of the consultation are released.

But if there are summer mini exams that count towards your grade, they won't be "mocks".

You really have no idea that this is going to happen- it is very likely that the situation will NOT be like last year.

Original post by vibinhard

I think it's very unlikely there will be a two tier system in place. I think the DfE will want everyone's grades to be based on the same evidence.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You really have no idea that this is going to happen- it is very likely that the situation will NOT be like last year.

I think it's very unlikely there will be a two tier system in place. I think the DfE will want everyone's grades to be based on the same evidence.

Most teachers I have spoken to have said that externally set assessments will be optional.Think about the external candidates and people who are still up to the challenge who want to prove themselves by sitting an exam.This could aid students who were shy or not previously participating in class to have an opportunity to prove themselves.Also,don't forget that the consulation proposals are just proposals and it is very likely that the actual guidance will be largely different to the original due to most people disagreeing with the consultation.The Department for Education and Ofqual have made up their minds and will likely follow the steps of Northern Ireland,where nothing is compulsory to do and that still students are encouraged but not obliged to submit pieces of work.
ugh this is so annoying i hate the government so f*cking much istg
Original post by ruqaiyahhhhhx
ugh this is so annoying i hate the government so f*cking much istg

Me too.I literally wanna finish with secondary school as soon as possible and go off to college where I will hopefully do things that I actually like. I urge everybody to put in as much evidence as it is possible in order to ensure that smooth transition between secondary education and further education in the best way possible
Unless a student has done badly all year, why would a student opt to sit an optional exam?? This seems weird to me.
Me too.I literally wanna finish with secondary school as soon as possible and go off to college where I will hopefully do things that I actually like. I urge everybody to put in as much evidence as it is possible in order to ensure that smooth transition between secondary education and further education in the best way possible

same i hate high school and everyone there except for my mates 🤣 its sh*t we cant see each other for our last year :'( but sigh it is what is i guesssss. yeah do your best in online's and stuff !!! i just cba with school its so much stress plus i have parents evening tommorow 🤣 the teachers arent allowed to talk about grades and stuff tho ahah but i hope schools stay closed for longer uptil like june maybe late april its too dangerous to still go in plus i prefer online ngl 🤣.

AND i wish they cancel these stupid f*cking mini exams theyre such a pisstake istg 🤣🤣
Original post by Mikos
Unless a student has done badly all year, why would a student opt to sit an optional exam?? This seems weird to me.

yeah exactly 🤣

but most say they revised and something about 'predicted grades' idk its all a mess 🤣
Original post by Mikos

I can see the reasoning. There were students last year who felt they were doing quite well, and that they would end up with a good CAG, but were then surprised by a poor one. By taking the exam, you are guaranteed to get the grade you deserve, whatever that may be.

I think for some people as well, they've been studying hard for these exams for a long time, they want to actually sit them and show what they can do. I think if I was in school, I would want to sit them if I could.

But I do expect the majority who would opt in for an external exam are the sort of people who were being a bit lazy through Y10 and the beginning of Y11, and have now finally realised they need to do well to go on to whatever A-levels / uni they want. So they're willing to revise very hard to hopefully score a higher grade than their teacher might give them.
Original post by ruqaiyahhhhhx
yeah exactly 🤣

but most say they revised and something about 'predicted grades' idk its all a mess 🤣

It is evidently likely schools for Year 11 might not ever return in favour of Year 10 as they have got exams next year.We now unfortunately have to accept that we have passed the period of our lives called secondary school.Most students don't want to go back and I don't see a point in going back anymore.Online work should remain the norm for this academic year.Let the other generations get through that experience and let's go to further education where we do stuff that we actually like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending