The Student Room Group

Jaguar Land Rover Assessment Centre

Hi
I’m after some advice please. I’ve received an email saying I’ve got through to the assessment centre stage for an advanced engineering apprenticeship. I’m really proud of myself that I’ve got this far and really don’t want to blow my chances now as this is my dream job. I’m assuming we won’t be able to do the group activity due to COVID but it’s the interview I’m really stressing about. Would anyone be able to give me an idea what I should be brushing up on please? Not asking for direct questions but any lines I should be following. Thank you for any help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I’m a bit late so any advice now would probably be a little useless. May I ask what apprenticeship you signed up for?? I recently had my assessment centre for the advanced apprenticeship in Special operations and ended up getting in so I wonder who else did too?
Reply 2
Original post by nikki61
Hi! I’m a bit late so any advice now would probably be a little useless. May I ask what apprenticeship you signed up for?? I recently had my assessment centre for the advanced apprenticeship in Special operations and ended up getting in so I wonder who else did too?

Thanks for replying. It’s on Monday so not too late! It’s for engineering. Well done for getting in.
Reply 3
I've got an assessment centre next week, could you tell me what you had to do?
Reply 4
I think they’re all structured a tiny bit differently depending on which program but you should get an email telling you what it’s split into and you’ll also have a prep session before where they will be more specific. In my one, the first bit was a behaviour interview, so they just asked me to say a little bit about myself and the rest of the the questions were like what would you do if questions for example they said what would you do if your manager gave you a project you couldn’t possibly fit into your schedule ‘. My biggest tip for this part was don’t overthink it, they’re not really trying to catch you out just show them a clear thought process and explain your thinking to them and you’ll be fine.The second part for me was the hardest if i’m honest. It was a role play’ exercise where he as to pretend we needed to find out what was wrong with some car and then ask questions to our interviewer to find out more. It was quite a simple concept but I had no idea how the part of that car worked so my questions were limited, and the questions I did ask, my interviewer didn’t have the answers to them which didn’t really help. If you get stuck here, which i’m sure a lot of people did, just try to show you had some sort of logical thought process and talk through it. This part was probably my least favourite but it was okay. The third part was by far the easiest and I think I made my best impression in the last bit. It was a simple Diamond 9 exercise where we were given qualities of apprentices and had to order them in how important they were. No right or wrong answers so as long as you can talk about them you will be absolutely fine. Probably your chance to showcase how sophisticated you can be etc and any extra information. Lots of stuff you can link to for example when I talked about following instructions, I linked it safety as products can be assembled wrong etc, giving out an unsafe product to the customer, bad reputation, lawsuits etc so much to talk about here. This is kinda long but hope this helped a little, remember be yourself, have some water near you and also have a quiet room as the assessment centre will be on Microsoft teams. Good luck !
Reply 5
Original post by parkerposse
Thanks for replying. It’s on Monday so not too late! It’s for engineering. Well done for getting in.

Thank you so much and good luck to you! If you look below this thread I explained what I had to do to someone else with a few tips and stuff so feel free to look at that if it helps you out :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Zaltman
I've got an assessment centre next week, could you tell me what you had to do?

I forgot to quote it as a reply to you haha but if you look below this thread i left a huge comment about everything 😂😂 hope it helps !
Reply 7
Original post by nikki61
I think they’re all structured a tiny bit differently depending on which program but you should get an email telling you what it’s split into and you’ll also have a prep session before where they will be more specific. In my one, the first bit was a behaviour interview, so they just asked me to say a little bit about myself and the rest of the the questions were like what would you do if questions for example they said what would you do if your manager gave you a project you couldn’t possibly fit into your schedule ‘. My biggest tip for this part was don’t overthink it, they’re not really trying to catch you out just show them a clear thought process and explain your thinking to them and you’ll be fine.The second part for me was the hardest if i’m honest. It was a role play’ exercise where he as to pretend we needed to find out what was wrong with some car and then ask questions to our interviewer to find out more. It was quite a simple concept but I had no idea how the part of that car worked so my questions were limited, and the questions I did ask, my interviewer didn’t have the answers to them which didn’t really help. If you get stuck here, which i’m sure a lot of people did, just try to show you had some sort of logical thought process and talk through it. This part was probably my least favourite but it was okay. The third part was by far the easiest and I think I made my best impression in the last bit. It was a simple Diamond 9 exercise where we were given qualities of apprentices and had to order them in how important they were. No right or wrong answers so as long as you can talk about them you will be absolutely fine. Probably your chance to showcase how sophisticated you can be etc and any extra information. Lots of stuff you can link to for example when I talked about following instructions, I linked it safety as products can be assembled wrong etc, giving out an unsafe product to the customer, bad reputation, lawsuits etc so much to talk about here. This is kinda long but hope this helped a little, remember be yourself, have some water near you and also have a quiet room as the assessment centre will be on Microsoft teams. Good luck !

Thank you so much this is really helpful x
Reply 8
Original post by nikki61

thanks a lot!
Reply 9

how did it go? what apprenticeship did you apply for, best of luck with the application.
Original post by Zaltman
how did it go? what apprenticeship did you apply for, best of luck with the application.

I applied for engineering. It was tough but ok if that makes sense! I’m just waiting to hear now.

Original post by nikki61
Hi! I’m a bit late so any advice now would probably be a little useless. May I ask what apprenticeship you signed up for?? I recently had my assessment centre for the advanced apprenticeship in Special operations and ended up getting in so I wonder who

Hi just wondering how long after your interview till you heard you’d got in. Thank you.
Original post by dpsng
Hi I got an offer for the finance apprenticeship. Has anyone else got in?

That’s brilliant well done! Not heard anything yet. How did they let you know and when was your interview?
Reply 13
That’s brilliant well done! Not heard anything yet. How did they let you know and when was your interview?

Hey i hope you've had some good news on your application! I'm currently waiting to see if i've got an assessment centre, how long did it take them to tell you if you got one after passing the online tests?! Have you got any advice for the assessment centre itself? thanks :smile:
Original post by Gaha
Hey i hope you've had some good news on your application! I'm currently waiting to see if i've got an assessment centre, how long did it take them to tell you if you got one after passing the online tests?! Have you got any advice for the assessment centre itself? thanks :smile:

Not heard anything yet 😬 well done at getting this far. The assessment centre isn’t too bad. It took a couple of weeks before I heard and I’d begun to think I hadn’t hit it. Then I think it was another two weeks before the actual date. The first interview is common sense with questions asked about business scenarios like what would you do if ... you can’t really do much prep for this tbh it’s questions about working to deadlines working relationships those sort of
things. Second one is a problem you might come across at work and you have to ask questions to find a solution. Just make sure you read through the email they send you with the info on and think about where you want your questions to take you. It wasn’t too bad to be honest. I enjoyed the third one the best it was a diamond 9 where you had to put nine statements in
order from most important to least. There are no right or wrong answers here you just need to be able to justify why you have put them in that order. The interviewers were lovely. They let me take my time and if they thought they could get more out of me they questioned me again. Overall it was ok!
Reply 15
Hey, I had an interview last Thursday, from what I know we won’t hear back from JLR until about 2 weeks or more so there’s no need to worry, plus if you applied to the DTS apprenticeship like me interviews are still taking place till early March so it may be even longer till we hear back. All the best :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sunnahrafiq
Hey, I had an interview last Thursday, from what I know we won’t hear back from JLR until about 2 weeks or more so there’s no need to worry, plus if you applied to the DTS apprenticeship like me interviews are still taking place till early March so it may be even longer till we hear back. All the best :smile:

hey best of luck for the results! I've applied for DTS too just waiting to see if i get an assessment centre, did it take them long to get back to you with a date after passing the online tests? How was the actual interview btw?
Reply 17
Not heard anything yet 😬 well done at getting this far. The assessment centre isn’t too bad. It took a couple of weeks before I heard and I’d begun to think I hadn’t hit it. Then I think it was another two weeks before the actual date. The first interview is common sense with questions asked about business scenarios like what would you do if ... you can’t really do much prep for this tbh it’s questions about working to deadlines working relationships those sort of
things. Second one is a problem you might come across at work and you have to ask questions to find a solution. Just make sure you read through the email they send you with the info on and think about where you want your questions to take you. It wasn’t too bad to be honest. I enjoyed the third one the best it was a diamond 9 where you had to put nine statements in
order from most important to least. There are no right or wrong answers here you just need to be able to justify why you have put them in that order. The interviewers were lovely. They let me take my time and if they thought they could get more out of me they questioned me again. Overall it was ok!

cool well best of luck and thanks :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Gaha
hey best of luck for the results! I've applied for DTS too just waiting to see if i get an assessment centre, did it take them long to get back to you with a date after passing the online tests? How was the actual interview btw?

thank you!!! A few days after the test i received an email asking for my results and that i passed the tests, it then took about just less than 2 weeks to get an official invitation to the assessment centre, my assessment centre then took place just over one week prior to receiving an invitation. Hope all goes well with your application and id just like to ask which pathway you have applied to, mine is software!!! Also while i cant really talk about the questions i was asked the interview was fairly relaxed just speak passionately and rememeber the JLR value that you can find on the website.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by sunnahrafiq
thank you!!! A few days after the test i received an email asking for my results and that i passed the tests, it then took about just less than 2 weeks to get an official invitation to the assessment centre, my assessment centre then took place just over one week prior to receiving an invitation. Hope all goes well with your application and id just like to ask which pathway you have applied to, mine is software!!! Also while i cant really talk about the questions i was asked the interview was fairly relaxed just speak passionately and rememeber the JLR value that you can find on the website.

ended up going with the software with data here! thank you, im stressing myself out atm refreshing my emails hahaha. No worries I get that, i've seen in other peoples posts there was a part where they went through like a role play type thing figuring out the problems with a car. Was there anything like that to do with the DTS? I've barely got any experience coding so just a bit nervous something like that could come up and i'd be completely stuck. any general advice on the overall day would be much appreciated but totally get you should't get into specifics! thanks and best of luck again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending