The Student Room Group

Impeachment Day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
One reason why Dems are running this process is to try to convince those centrist Reps that they made a mistake backing Trump. Always hard to do that of course, people don't like to think they were wrong about things.

I agree and I think this is effort to appeal to these types of 'liberal republicans' is a mistake on their end.

Not only is this group small in number it's pretty unpopular and damaging for either party as their core beliefs are essentially the worst aspects of the status quo. I genuinely think the GOP is better off without them and could win more non voters and even disaffected democrats.
Reply 21
Original post by Starship Trooper
Centre right on economics sure. But way too the left socially.

Biden has not announced any policies that could be considered "left-wing".

Trump's base are not being driven by minute differences in tax police but by cultural and identity issues.

Perhaps, but his base is losing moderate Republicans.

Additionally in the last post election poll I saw Trump still had a majority approval rating from moderate republicans.

Source?

Pew Research shows his approval has dropped dramatically amongst Republicans.
Reply 22
I agree and I think this is effort to appeal to these types of 'liberal republicans' is a mistake on their end.

Not only is this group small in number it's pretty unpopular and damaging for either party as their core beliefs are essentially the worst aspects of the status quo. I genuinely think the GOP is better off without them and could win more non voters and even disaffected democrats.

1. What, specifically, about a more Trump-centric GOP do you think would attract more Republicans than it already does?
2. What, specifically, about a more Trump-centric GOP do you think would attract Democrats who voted for Biden rather than Trump in November?
Original post by QE2
Biden has not announced any policies that could be considered "left-wing".

Perhaps, but his base is losing moderate Republicans.

Source?

Pew Research shows his approval has dropped dramatically amongst Republicans.

He's reversing a lot of trump
policieswhoch I would say are left wing / liberal actions (eg rejoining the Paris climate treaty and ending trump immigration restrictions)
:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/08/joe-biden-executive-orders

No bad thing as I explained above

Here, but I'm happy to go with pew though 🙂

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/poll-trump-approval-remains-stable-republicans-unmoved-after-capitol-violence-n1254457
Original post by QE2
1. What, specifically, about a more Trump-centric GOP do you think would attract more Republicans than it already does?
2. What, specifically, about a more Trump-centric GOP do you think would attract Democrats who voted for Biden rather than Trump in November?

1: nothing, the attraction would be for more non voters plus disaffected democrats

2: this is largely dependent on Biden. If the democrats double down on woke issues (whilst ignoring economic inequality) , start more wars *, screw the economy or/ and are particularly scandalous (hunter Biden is under investigation by FBI) then this could be a big boon to a Populist Trump GOP.

*https://www.thecanary.co/us/us-analysis/2020/08/09/in-another-sign-that-biden-is-the-true-neocon-candidate-his-inner-circle-reads-like-a-whos-who-of-us-imperialism/
Horrifying footage, much of it not previously shown.

Fairly sure the mob were chanting Sieg Heil in the last scene.

2: this is largely dependent on Biden. If the democrats double down on woke issues (whilst ignoring economic inequality) , start more wars *, screw the economy or/ and are particularly scandalous (hunter Biden is under investigation by FBI) then this could be a big boon to a Populist Trump GOP.

As the economy tanked and Americans died in their thousands, Trump played golf and rage-Tweeted rather than trying to help the average American. Rational individuals would punish such failures at the ballot box, yet millions still voted for him because they wanted to own the libs.

The Democrats could be near perfect in government, yet all Trump or the next poundland demagogue needs to do is use with emotive and dishonest rhetoric to successfully tap into the white grievance culture that Republicans have been cynically chasing since they developed the Southern Strategy.
Reply 27
He's reversing a lot of trump
policieswhoch I would say are left wing / liberal actions (eg rejoining the Paris climate treaty and ending trump immigration restrictions)
:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/08/joe-biden-executive-orders

How are any of those "left-wing" policies?

Even that survey sees a drop in approval amongst Republicans, who also see him as the worst president in recent history. Hardly the vote of confidence you were hoping for.
Reply 28
1: nothing, the attraction would be for more non voters plus disaffected democrats

OK. What specifically, about a more Trump-centric GOP do you think would attract those people who did not vote in November?

So basically, if the Biden administration is worse than the Trump one, some Democrats may switch to Republican if the GOP becomes more Trumpist.
That makes no sense. We would expect the Republicans to gain Democrats if Biden performed poorly but stood for a second term and the GOP moved towards the centre, but not if it moves further into despotism.
I am going to find it even harder than usual to understand the mindset of the Republican Senators who are going to vote to let Trump off the hook in a few days, after watching the films yesterday. Utterly appalling and they didn't even show the footage of Trump and his family revelling in the mayhem as they watched it play out from the safety of their secret service protections and plush settings. They were like a bunch of medieval despots watching the serfs do battle and die on their behalf.
Original post by QE2
How are any of those "left-wing" policies?

Even that survey sees a drop in approval amongst Republicans, who also see him as the worst president in recent history. Hardly the vote of confidence you were hoping for.

I think in the context of US politics increasing immigration and signing up to the Paris climate treaty are left/ liberal causes which democrats support and republicans don't.

No it doesn't, not amongst the GOP voters where he's only gone down 2% etc and still has high approval ratings overall in the party.

Amongst the electorate sure if that's what you meant.
Original post by QE2
OK. What specifically, about a more Trump-centric GOP do you think would attract those people who did not vote in November?

So basically, if the Biden administration is worse than the Trump one, some Democrats may switch to Republican if the GOP becomes more Trumpist.
That makes no sense. We would expect the Republicans to gain Democrats if Biden performed poorly but stood for a second term and the GOP moved towards the centre, but not if it moves further into despotism.

Well 2024 is a long way away but I recall that after the election trump was very keen to give out stimulus relief packages of $2k to everyone. I think something like that could be very effective.

If the GOP moved to the "centre" it would then largely agree with the worst aspects of the Biden administration such as foreign Interventions, bank bail outs etc as per "respectable" NeoCon RINOs like McCain and Romney and be unable to capitalise on them on the way Trump or s Trump supporter could.
They won’t win, the only evidence they’re using is his tweets, which pretty much come down to interpretation
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I am going to find it even harder than usual to understand the mindset of the Republican Senators who are going to vote to let Trump off the hook in a few days, after watching the films yesterday. Utterly appalling and they didn't even show the footage of Trump and his family revelling in the mayhem as they watched it play out from the safety of their secret service protections and plush settings. They were like a bunch of medieval despots watching the serfs do battle and die on their behalf.

Well they know their base would crucify them if they dared

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neIjbu3up3I
Well they know their base would crucify them if they dared

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neIjbu3up3I

Some of it's that and some of it's just total love for the man who ensured big tax breaks for the billionaires who keep them in the job.
The evidence they have and the tweets they have is all circumstantial and interpretive
Why would they impeach over the capitol hill protest when they were happy for similar protests where the average americans property was invaded?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Why would they impeach over the capitol hill protest when they were happy for similar protests where the average americans property was invaded?

At first I was like
Screenshot_2021-02-11-12-33-24-21.jpg

But then...

Screenshot_2021-02-11-12-38-18-46.jpg

(She wasn't even on the building lol)

Also If the protest had happened in a non US aligned country (Venezuela, Hong Kong , Belarus) these same politicians would be calling the protestors heroes and calling for immediate trsnsfer of power.
At first I was like

But then...

Also If the protest had happened in a non US aligned country (Venezuela, Hong Kong , Belarus) these same politicians would be calling the protestors heroes and calling for immediate trsnsfer of power.

When you can't tell the difference between a protest and an armed riot its time to sit down, because nobody's going to listen to your insane ramblings.
At first I was like

But then...

She's a vapid, raging narcissist, so not surprising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending