The Student Room Group

studying a lot but low grades

hey guys i literally doing some form of education like 13 hours a day but i am still not smart. i just really hate when people do little revision with high grades but yet i do a lot a revision with low grades. literally my parents says i have lost weight i don't well i basically don't like as sharp as beautiful as i did before all down to studying and stress. i need to get good grades for sixth form but if i study less i might not get into sixth form but if i study a lot it will affect my well being what am i meant to do. literally people who has 3s,4s and some 5s isn't a stressing a bit and is doing biology chemistry and physics for a level. what am i meant to do.
Reply 1
help me!!!
Reply 2
Dude at the end of the day, it’s not a competition of how many hours you study. It’s about how much you can retain the information you learn. If you’re studying for 13hrs with very little breaks, you are basically sitting there looking at your book and your brain can’t digest anything. You need to reorganise how you study. My tip is make sure you take breaks and study only when you can concentrate.
hey so basically its not about how much you study but how you study- in other words smartly- the brain has a certain attention and storage capacity i suppose you could say before it zones out and what you think that you're studying is in reality going through and out again- you're not really processing it. So i suggest you organise your time so that you study effectively- half an hour of studying ten minute break. Also make sure that you don't study the same subject for a long time- varying what you study helps the brain work better- so maybe an hour of bio (including a break between the two half hours of course) and then give yourself another break for a slightly longer period before moving onto chem- then after an hour do physics or go back to bio- so shake it up a bit- also shake up your revsion methods- if its mind maps try flash cards if its long notes then try quizes or whatever- oh and drink a lot of water to keep your brain hydrated
Original post by Nelial
Dude at the end of the day, it’s not a competition of how many hours you study. It’s about how much you can retain the information you learn. If you’re studying for 13hrs with very little breaks, you are basically sitting there looking at your book and your brain can’t digest anything. You need to reorganise how you study. My tip is make sure you take breaks and study only when you can concentrate.

oh lol just realised we basically said the same thing but yeah exactly that
Reply 5
Original post by Nelial

i take breaks like every 30 minutues and yes it can be hard to concentrate with all the stress that i got. what am i meant to do.
Original post by Lily09897
hey guys i literally doing some form of education like 13 hours a day but i am still not smart. i just really hate when people do little revision with high grades but yet i do a lot a revision with low grades. literally my parents says i have lost weight i don't well i basically don't like as sharp as beautiful as i did before all down to studying and stress. i need to get good grades for sixth form but if i study less i might not get into sixth form but if i study a lot it will affect my well being what am i meant to do. literally people who has 3s,4s and some 5s isn't a stressing a bit and is doing biology chemistry and physics for a level. what am i meant to do.

plus you time is probably the best thing you can do- if studying is affecting your mental and physical health, take a break for a week, relax have fun and then go back in with a fresh mindset
Remember this: 888. 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of studying and 8 hours of whatever else you choose to do, whether gaming, working out, reading etc etc. 13 hours a day is crazy so I'd recommend studying far less. Maybe 30 minute sessions with 5 minute breaks as your brain retains information better in shorter sessions than longer. Work smarter, not harder. Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by natashaxoxo
Remember this: 888. 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of studying and 8 hours of whatever else you choose to do, whether gaming, working out, reading etc etc. 13 hours a day is crazy so I'd recommend studying far less. Maybe 30 minute sessions with 5 minute breaks as your brain retains information better in shorter sessions than longer. Work smarter, not harder. Good luck :smile:

I got school from 8 am to 4pm that's already 8 hours gone at school regardless of school. 8 hours of school 5 hours of studying that's how mine goes.
i agree with commenters above in that how you study determines how your grades will look. Perhaps your method of studying isnt so efficient and thats why you havent seen much improvement. Would you mind if i asked how you currently study/revise?
I got school from 8 am to 4pm that's already 8 hours gone at school regardless of school. 8 hours of school 5 hours of studying that's how mine goes.

Well on weekends try 888. For weekdays when you're at school, maybe study just up until dinner. That gives you around 2 hours of additional study in a day (assuming you eat around 6pm). Have the time after dinner to simply relax and do something you enjoy. If you push yourself too much you'll become so unbelievably stressed and overwhelmed

Anyone who achieves high grades (7's 8's and 9's typical) consistently does revise sufficiently. They just say they don't to act 'cool'; you shouldn't believe they don't revise.
Instead of counting the hours you revise, get a to-do list and set deadlines to complete topics in each of your subjects. Set deadlines and revise efficiently using active recall. Active recall is simply creating questions for yourself from what you learned and understood about a topic, and answer them. The process of drenching out the information from your brain makes it harder to forget the information. I strongly recommend starting a free trial on Skillshare and watching "how to revise for exams" by Ali Abdaal. Also, here are some useful videos he's put on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE&t=727s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM
Additionally, to achieve the highest grades (especially for the sciences) you must complete most, if not all past papers for those subjects. You'll find these on the exam board's website. You should always practice exam questions- this is the most effective way to achieve the highest grades for GCSEs and A levels

These are all things I wish someone told me to do at your age; I realized these techniques too late in the day! Enough feeling sorry for myself!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending