The Student Room Group

How much is it to maintain a car monthly?

Like how much is it monthly roughly if you’re not driving far.
Original post by Moonlight rain

Unless you have a full warranty, it's impossible to say. Your expenses will include things that you can reasonably budget for, e.g. insurance, petrol, and servicing, but also things that you can't, like accidents and breakdowns. Insurance can change massively, particularly if you have an at-fault accident, and there's always your excess to pay. If your engine or gearbox blows-up, then you will have a big bill.

Most recent cars are reliable, but you need to look into known issues with specific models. A good one can be very cheap to run, if you maintain it, don't have any accidents, and have free parking.

If you're on a tight budget, a car is a really bad idea, IMO. I own four though ..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Unless you have a full warranty, it's impossible to say. Your expenses will include things that you can reasonably budget for, e.g. insurance, petrol, and servicing, but also things that you can't, like accidents. Insurance can change massively, particularly if you have an at-fault accident, and there's always your excess to pay. If your engine or gearbox blows-up, then you will have a big bill.

Most recent cars are reliable, but you need to look into known issues with specific models. A good one can be very cheap to run, if you maintain it, don't have any accidents, and have free parking.

If you're on a tight budget, a car is a really bad idea, IMO. I own four though ..

so where do you think would be best to buy a car? cause I don’t want to spend more than 2k on a car. I know nothing about cars as you can tell. Which model is best?
why do you own four?
so where do you think would be best to buy a car? cause I don’t want to spend more than 2k on a car. I know nothing about cars as you can tell. Which model is best?
why do you own four?

Have you had insurance quotes? On a reliable car, that will be your major expense, so a major factor in choosing a model. As a first car, a small hatchback is often the most affordable / practical. If you can, I'd got for a slightly larger one, e.g. Golf / Focus size. It also depends on how long you plan to keep it.
Do you have free parking? Cars can be a liability, especially at university, or in large cities.

Personally, (assuming secondhand) I'd buy a car privately, but have a professional inspection (for cheap cars, I do this myself). Secondhand cars are, IMO, very good value in the UK, but you have to know what you're buying.

I have two fun cars, and two practical ones (my wife works from home, but drives one occasionally). I'm old though, so my insurance bill is not an issue, and I have plenty of garaging / parking for them. I also do my own maintenance and servicing on the cheap ones, which cost me very little to run. I see them as disposable, should something major fail - I tend to keep cars until they're dead.
Original post by RogerOxon
Have you had insurance quotes? On a reliable car, that will be your major expense, so a major factor in choosing a model. As a first car, a small hatchback is often the most affordable / practical. If you can, I'd got for a slightly larger one, e.g. Golf / Focus size. It also depends on how long you plan to keep it.
Do you have free parking? Cars can be a liability, especially at university, or in large cities.

Personally, (assuming secondhand) I'd buy a car privately, but have a professional inspection (for cheap cars, I do this myself). Secondhand cars are, IMO, very good value in the UK, but you have to know what you're buying.

I have two fun cars, and two practical ones (my wife works from home, but drives one occasionally). I'm old though, so my insurance bill is not an issue, and I have plenty of garaging / parking for them. I also do my own maintenance and servicing on the cheap ones, which cost me very little to run. I see them as disposable, should something major fail - I tend to keep cars until they're dead.

I don’t drive yet. I just wanted to know. Okay thank you...
I thought you were like 20 years old...
well I mean as long as they weren’t expensive because who knows when death will come

How long is a piece of string?
Original post by Emma:-)
How long is a piece of string?

I don’t know... not that long. Why are you asking?
I don’t know... not that long. Why are you asking?

You know what I mesn.
We can not really estimate how much per month it will cost you to run your car.
Insurance wise- we can not even guess how much it will be for you to insure as it varies wildly and depends on too many factors.
Things like road tax- different cars cost completely different amounts to tax. So unless you give us a.clie what car, we do not know.
The list goes on. You get the drift.
Reply 8

What a silly question, it depends on the car.

Driving not too far in a £1000 car... Rough estimates: £1 per day servicing, £0.50 per day tyres, £0.50 per day road tax, £3 per day insurance, £1 per day depreciation - add in £0.20 per mile fuel and you're not far out.
How old are you? How long have you had your licence? How far is your workplace, college, school, University or whatever you do? Are you interested in cars? Are you male or female?
Reply 11
Original post by Please guy
How old are you? How long have you had your licence? How far is your workplace, college, school, University or whatever you do? Are you interested in cars? Are you male or female?

This doesn't sound creepy at all...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending