The Student Room Group

History or Geography

Can anyone help me to decide whether to pick Geography or History for my GCSEs. Im quite good in both subjects and I equally like them.
i think geography is regarded as the easier one out of the two but it might depend on what your strengths are and where your interests lie? i did gcse geography and found it pretty straightforward, i felt like you could get away with using more common sense on the human geography component so i didn't revise for it as much.
Original post by absolutelysprout
i think geography is regarded as the easier one out of the two but it might depend on what your strengths are and where your interests lie? i did gcse geography and found it pretty straightforward, i felt like you could get away with using more common sense on the human geography component so i didn't revise for it as much.

thanks for your help I will consider doing geography then :smile:
History was easier in my school. My friends hated doing Geography because they had to do so much field work. I'm totally biased because I'm going to be doing a History degree this year but I would seriously consider doing History. Ultimately, check out the different GCSE specifications for each subject and look at which one interests you more. I hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by MythologyFanatic
History was easier in my school. My friends hated doing Geography because they had to do so much field work. I'm totally biased because I'm going to be doing a History degree this year but I would seriously consider doing History. Ultimately, check out the different GCSE specifications for each subject and look at which one interests you more. I hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks for the info. I will think about it but I do like Geography a tiny bit more but I will have a good think about it. :smile:
I got a Grade 9 in Geography GCSE, but a grade 4 in History GCSE. I found Geography so much better than History, and everything links together so it's easy to learn the content. I'm dyslexic, so extended questions were very difficult in History. There's a lot of content too, but sometimes people enjoy the broad curriculum. If you ever consider carrying either through to sixth form, then I recommend taking it for GCSE.
Original post by abbiewebsterrrr
I got a Grade 9 in Geography GCSE, but a grade 4 in History GCSE. I found Geography so much better than History, and everything links together so it's easy to learn the content. I'm dyslexic, so extended questions were very difficult in History. There's a lot of content too, but sometimes people enjoy the broad curriculum. If you ever consider carrying either through to sixth form, then I recommend taking it for GCSE.

ok thanks bro
Original post by MMtrapzz
Can anyone help me to decide whether to pick Geography or History for my GCSEs. Im quite good in both subjects and I equally like them.

History is arguably more interesting at gcse, however geography (in my opinion) is a lot easier. you can’t really go wrong, go with whichever subject you would be more willing to devote time to and revise for :smile:
It really depends on what kind of person you are and what your strengths and weaknesses are. If you want a more sciency/ logical subject, consider geo. But if you don’t mind writing essays then do history. Personally, I do geography and I’m really enjoying, especially human geography but that’s just me.
History
Advantages
Better understanding of cultures
Improved awareness of the past

Geography
Pros
A qualification
Teamwork
Map drawing skills
Common sense
Reading skills

Quick Reply