The Student Room Group

The great lockdown debate - P Hitchens Vs D Hodges

Poll

Who won ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTk4djCveY

Quite enjoyed this and even though I was on Peters side though Dan held his own until the end. Oooph
Not sure if I'll watch it. I like peter hitchen's generally, and find him quite entertaining. But I'm very much on the opposite side to him when it comes to lockdowns + the virus.
A score draw
Pete's a conservative Christian and opponent of the Iraq war.

They once had a debate about the above

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjQs_QjSwc&t=1s
It's sort of difficult to take Peter Hitchen's seriously when he thinks wearing face masks is equivalent to being muzzled.
Original post by SHallowvale
It's sort of difficult to take Peter Hitchen's seriously when he thinks wearing face masks is equivalent to being muzzled.

Some of us do struggle mentally with the idea of wearing a mask that covers the face, and the abuse we get sometimes is shocking. I've had people tell me that anxiety doesn't exist, or that I'm just being selfish. Would you go to someone with cancer and tell them their tumour doesn't exist, and they are being selfish? Apparently when it's an mental issue instead of a physical one, nobody cares.
Original post by Megacent
Would you go to someone with cancer and tell them their tumour doesn't exist, and they are being selfish?

Doctors and nurses will wear surgical masks for extended periods of time while operating on said tumour without the slightest complaint. Yet they aren't superhumans.

So you'll have a hard time convincing people that you have so little emotional resilience that you are unable to wear a mask for five minutes while you pop into Tesco.
Original post by Calibrated.
Doctors and nurses will wear surgical masks for extended periods of time while operating on said tumour without the slightest complaint. Yet they aren't superhumans.

So you'll have a hard time convincing people that you have so little emotional resilience that you are unable to wear a mask for five minutes while you pop into Tesco.

I know, a lot of people don't believe it. And in fairness to them I can sort of see why. From their perpsective there is no visible reason why I can't wear a mask, they think it's just a case of don't want to/being selfish/being difficult. A physical injury would be more visible and clear, but this is all in the mind. You can't really "show" people that, it's difficult trying to explain that anxiety to people who haven't experienced it themselves.

In these difficult times I think we need to accept that many are struggling to cope with all these changes, and it's inevitable that some won't manage as well as others. Some people can manage to wear a mask just fine, others manage it with a bit of discomfort, some just can't manage. Just because you are able to wear one doesn't mean everyone can, and it's wrong to shun people or make them feel bad for something they can't help.
Reply 8
I know, a lot of people don't believe it. And in fairness to them I can sort of see why. From their perpsective there is no visible reason why I can't wear a mask, they think it's just a case of don't want to/being selfish/being difficult. A physical injury would be more visible and clear, but this is all in the mind. You can't really "show" people that, it's difficult trying to explain that anxiety to people who haven't experienced it themselves.

In these difficult times I think we need to accept that many are struggling to cope with all these changes, and it's inevitable that some won't manage as well as others. Some people can manage to wear a mask just fine, others manage it with a bit of discomfort, some just can't manage. Just because you are able to wear one doesn't mean everyone can, and it's wrong to shun people or make them feel bad for something they can't help.

I know it's not the point of the thread, but there are different kinds of masks that still provide a barrier and help prevent the spread of droplets...

You are also someone who has made it quite clear you won't have the vaccine due to misguided fears about their safety and repeatedly have claimed the scientific consensus is wrong on covid.

There are people who legitimately can't wear masks. You aren't one of them, you are just an anti-science covid contrarian.
Some of us do struggle mentally with the idea of wearing a mask that covers the face, and the abuse we get sometimes is shocking. I've had people tell me that anxiety doesn't exist, or that I'm just being selfish. Would you go to someone with cancer and tell them their tumour doesn't exist, and they are being selfish? Apparently when it's an mental issue instead of a physical one, nobody cares.

I'm sure there are at least some people out there who struggle to wear a mask. Almost all people, however, can. Peter Hitchens does not come across as someone who struggles with it; their comments about face masks being "muzzled" are just stupid remarks against something that is meant to benefit everyone.
I'm sure there are at least some people out there who struggle to wear a mask. Almost all people, however, can. Peter Hitchens does not come across as someone who struggles with it; their comments about face masks being "muzzled" are just stupid remarks against something that is meant to benefit everyone.

How do you tell the difference though? Someone who can't wear a mask because of anxiety can't exactly "show" you that in the same way they could show you a physical injury.
How do you tell the difference though? Someone who can't wear a mask because of anxiety can't exactly "show" you that in the same way they could show you a physical injury.

I'm not sure what this has to do with face masks being called "muzzles"?
I'm not sure what this has to do with face masks being called "muzzles"?

People are assuming that if you compare them to muzzles, then you actually are able to wear them and are just "being selfish". But for me, the resemblance to muzzles is what causes the anxiety and inability to wear them. And because it's all in my mind, I can't show or prove that to anyone in the same way that I could if it was for example a severe skin condition that stopped me wearing one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending