The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Accommodation

Hi there
I’ve been offered a place at Falmouth and I’ve visited and I love it but my course is at penryn but I prefer the look of Falmouth accommodation - should I choose up at penryn to be near course or Falmouth to be more social

Scroll to see replies

i would suggest having a look at transport and how easy it is to get from falmouth to penryn. if it is going to be a nightmare/take absolutely ages then you would probs want to live at penryn but otherwise living at falmouth should be fine.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Reply 2
my course is at penryn and i like the student village so it makes sense for me to go there, it your case id just see how easy it is to get between campuses, isn't there a train that runs directly between them for like £1.80 with a bus pass?
good luck deciding! :smile:
Hiya! This is just my opinion so this is just advice from my perspective but feel very free to ignore and go against!!
If your course is in penryn I’d fully recommend living in penryn. Whilst commuting is possible and many do from places such as the sidings and maritime I know many friends that regretted it particularly for the 9ams! I think the main thing is that most of your course will be on campus and living off it may be strange being the only one going a different way but having said that it is possible and viable!
In terms of social side being on campus is actually far better! Most people start with pre drinks in someone’s flat so being in Falmouth would mean either missing this or having to commute to start pres before heading into town and sometimes the drunken bus journey is the best bit! However coming back less so so being in fal would be more beneficial that way around!
So really no right or wrong reason but you do have second and third year to live in fal so would personally recommend being where your course and course mates are just for first year as easier to get used to the work and living aspect without the commute and costs of this added in! But you won’t be disadvantaged if you do chose to live in fal! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya! This is just my opinion so this is just advice from my perspective but feel very free to ignore and go against!!
If your course is in penryn I’d fully recommend living in penryn. Whilst commuting is possible and many do from places such as the sidings and maritime I know many friends that regretted it particularly for the 9ams! I think the main thing is that most of your course will be on campus and living off it may be strange being the only one going a different way but having said that it is possible and viable!
In terms of social side being on campus is actually far better! Most people start with pre drinks in someone’s flat so being in Falmouth would mean either missing this or having to commute to start pres before heading into town and sometimes the drunken bus journey is the best bit! However coming back less so so being in fal would be more beneficial that way around!
So really no right or wrong reason but you do have second and third year to live in fal so would personally recommend being where your course and course mates are just for first year as easier to get used to the work and living aspect without the commute and costs of this added in! But you won’t be disadvantaged if you do chose to live in fal! :smile:

Also forgot to mention regarding other comments- the bus is around £4 a day for unlimited trips and you get 20 free tickets from the uni (this does tend to change each year though depending on the bus company) and is from the centre of fal town to the campus and takes around 10 mins. The train goes from either fal docks at the end of Falmouth and Falmouth town which is just outside the main high street but only takes you to penryn town will is about a 10-15 min walk (uphill...!) to campus but it is a lot cheaper :smile:
Also forgot to mention regarding other comments- the bus is around £4 a day for unlimited trips and you get 20 free tickets from the uni (this does tend to change each year though depending on the bus company) and is from the centre of fal town to the campus and takes around 10 mins. The train goes from either fal docks at the end of Falmouth and Falmouth town which is just outside the main high street but only takes you to penryn town will is about a 10-15 min walk (uphill...!) to campus but it is a lot cheaper :smile:

Thank you so much!! Hugely helpful!! I really appreciate this!! 😊
Original post by Jakewilbur1
Thank you so much!! Hugely helpful!! I really appreciate this!! 😊

No worries happy to try and answer any other questions on the campus if you have any! :smile:
Anyone know what the ocean view accommodation is like?

Hey! Would you say glasney village is the place to be for first years, or Falmouth accommodation?
Heya! So it depends on where you course is based, I’d say it’s better to be where your course is, as saves on commuting which takes a lot of time and effort and money!! You’ll definitely appreciate being a 5 min walk than a 10 min bus/5 min train and 20 min walk when you have a 9am lecture!! There’s also other benefits of Glasney in terms of being the biggest accommodation so most people from your course (if based at penryn) will be there which is always nice, and again something to consider if you live not where you’re based may not be near where the rest of your course are (obviously will still be split between say Glasney and sidings or the Falmouth ones but better than being in different towns?). So really I’d personally say best to be where your course is mostly based, but as said if you’re based in penryn I wouldn’t personally recommend being in Falmouth in your first year, with the commuting time, but also having pres on campus before going out so don’t particularly benefit being closer to nightlife but does mean don’t have to get the bus there and back! So definitely no right or wrong answer but personally think that being where your course is based is most beneficial? Hope that helps and feel free to get back to me if you have any other questions! :smile:
Hi! I'm headed to Falmouth in September too and my campus is Penryn so I definitely want to apply for accommodation on that campus as my top choice. That leaves me with Glasney, Packsaddle and the Sidings. I've heard pros and cons to all of them: Packsaddle being quite small with not much storage, Sidings being next to the trains which I imagine could be quite loud, but then Glasney being quite busy could be loud? I think I'm leaning more towards Glasney at the moment - I'm guessing you're a Falmouth student from your knowledge so was just wondering if you had any experience/advice as to which Penryn based accommodation you think is best? I'd appreciate it so much, thank you!!
Original post by Megan Clift
Hi! I'm headed to Falmouth in September too and my campus is Penryn so I definitely want to apply for accommodation on that campus as my top choice. That leaves me with Glasney, Packsaddle and the Sidings. I've heard pros and cons to all of them: Packsaddle being quite small with not much storage, Sidings being next to the trains which I imagine could be quite loud, but then Glasney being quite busy could be loud? I think I'm leaning more towards Glasney at the moment - I'm guessing you're a Falmouth student from your knowledge so was just wondering if you had any experience/advice as to which Penryn based accommodation you think is best? I'd appreciate it so much, thank you!!

Hiya! I’m actually an exe student sorry but lived in Glasney with both fal and exe students last year! So I’ll do my best with a list!
-Glasney- So I never found noise a particular problem with the odd occasion on Saturday nights! The walls between the rooms are weirdly thick so unlike most student accommodation you can’t normally hear people next door which is always nice! There are 7 rooms in each flat with two that can be shared so between 7 and 9 people in each. The biggest benefit is being on campus but also the double rooms and beds if not sharing and that all rooms are en suite!! It’s also beneficial through being with most other students on your course so can walk back with them, there’s all the facilities on campus just a walk away (stannary, koofi, shop. minibus to asda, lectures)
-Sidings-this has the benefit over Glasney of being next to the train station and about half way to penryn if ever go there (I only go to penryn for doctors, everything else go to fal on the bus so no easier than campus, but train is cheaper so benefits that way, but bus gets you closer to centre town, but train station is closer to beach!), but things to consider with sidings is the walk is around 10/15 mins including many stairs up to the top of campus so saves money on gym membership but do recommend taking into account Cornish weather...!! Also I know many of my friends who lived there didn’t bother with freshers as was too far to bother coming so essentially just have to consider how often you’d want to go to campus other than for lectures! But they do apparently have a communal sofa which Glasney doesn’t!!
Packsaddle-so I don’t know much about packsaddle sorry except for they have a dishwasher so a bit fancier but again it’s down steps from Glasney then still the hill to get up to lectures!!

So essentially depends on how often you’ll look to go to town over campus and how much you like walking!! Let me know if you have any questions more than happy to help if I can!
Original post by business.gal
Hiya! I’m actually an exe student sorry but lived in Glasney with both fal and exe students last year! So I’ll do my best with a list!
-Glasney- So I never found noise a particular problem with the odd occasion on Saturday nights! The walls between the rooms are weirdly thick so unlike most student accommodation you can’t normally hear people next door which is always nice! There are 7 rooms in each flat with two that can be shared so between 7 and 9 people in each. The biggest benefit is being on campus but also the double rooms and beds if not sharing and that all rooms are en suite!! It’s also beneficial through being with most other students on your course so can walk back with them, there’s all the facilities on campus just a walk away (stannary, koofi, shop. minibus to asda, lectures)
-Sidings-this has the benefit over Glasney of being next to the train station and about half way to penryn if ever go there (I only go to penryn for doctors, everything else go to fal on the bus so no easier than campus, but train is cheaper so benefits that way, but bus gets you closer to centre town, but train station is closer to beach!), but things to consider with sidings is the walk is around 10/15 mins including many stairs up to the top of campus so saves money on gym membership but do recommend taking into account Cornish weather...!! Also I know many of my friends who lived there didn’t bother with freshers as was too far to bother coming so essentially just have to consider how often you’d want to go to campus other than for lectures! But they do apparently have a communal sofa which Glasney doesn’t!!
Packsaddle-so I don’t know much about packsaddle sorry except for they have a dishwasher so a bit fancier but again it’s down steps from Glasney then still the hill to get up to lectures!!

So essentially depends on how often you’ll look to go to town over campus and how much you like walking!! Let me know if you have any questions more than happy to help if I can!

That was sooo super helpful, thank you!!
Yeah I think I'm going to put Glasney as my top choice - My course is on that campus so I think it would be easier being close to campus for all that. I think I was a bit worried about if I put Glasney first then I might be stuck in almost like a 'uni bubble' being so close to campus which could feel restricting, but with falmouth town being so lovely I think it would be easy to get out and about and not feel too stuck in one place!! And oo a minibus to Asda? That's convenient hahah!
I do like walking but didn't think of the rain and the steps so thank you!! Especially as an Art Student, lugging about sketchbooks and materials back and forth might not be the most convenient!

I was supposed to be going last year after an art course I did but deferred because of Covid! Hope you had a great first year and are enjoying your course!

And thanks so much - I'll probably have more questions I'll think of over the next few months as September approaches so I'll pop on here if I do, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's really helped (:
Original post by Megan Clift
That was sooo super helpful, thank you!!
Yeah I think I'm going to put Glasney as my top choice - My course is on that campus so I think it would be easier being close to campus for all that. I think I was a bit worried about if I put Glasney first then I might be stuck in almost like a 'uni bubble' being so close to campus which could feel restricting, but with falmouth town being so lovely I think it would be easy to get out and about and not feel too stuck in one place!! And oo a minibus to Asda? That's convenient hahah!
I do like walking but didn't think of the rain and the steps so thank you!! Especially as an Art Student, lugging about sketchbooks and materials back and forth might not be the most convenient!

I was supposed to be going last year after an art course I did but deferred because of Covid! Hope you had a great first year and are enjoying your course!

And thanks so much - I'll probably have more questions I'll think of over the next few months as September approaches so I'll pop on here if I do, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's really helped (:

No worries so glad could help! There definitely can be that feeling but remembering that town is really close and remembering to leave campus means it isn’t a problem at all! It’s also really useful having the campus shop so close for when your halfway through cooking and realise you’re out of milk! Definitely useful that minibus! It used to be on Monday and Thursday evenings but should get info on it when you arrive! It’s really useful as whilst it’s a lovely walk to asda it’s not so great back with heavy shopping and the steps to get up!! Definitely take a raincoat though (I speak from experience of not having one!! 😂)! But walking wise there’s some beautiful walking areas around from the beach coastal walk, walking through town, argal/collage reservoirs and so many others!
I have thanks it’s been busy work wise both years but really enjoying it and slightly dreading having to graduate next year!! No worries at all more than happy to help if I can! Don’t know if there’s any direct message options on here but if so feel free to message any time happy to help! :smile:
I've got a place for Falmouth and I've just started looking at accommodation. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I'm iffy with where I want to go, it has to feel right for me. The only two places on their website I really like are Oceans view, but I'd be worried that I won't get the experience as I'd be living with only 6 people in a house. My other choice would be Packsaddle, but I don't love the look of the accommodation. Then, The Quarry which Falmouth have just taken off their website, I love it but I'd worry that not many first years would be there and for some reason, you have to agree to a 52-week tenancy! So I'm just really stuck. Also looking at the quarry (which would be my top choice overall) i'd probably have to book it sooner rather than later. I don't really know what response I'm looking for but I just don't want to choose the wrong accommodation and regret it. So if anyone has any insight into any of these I'd be grateful!Also, I'd be studying on Penryn campus.
Original post by niamh.12
I've got a place for Falmouth and I've just started looking at accommodation. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I'm iffy with where I want to go, it has to feel right for me. The only two places on their website I really like are Oceans view, but I'd be worried that I won't get the experience as I'd be living with only 6 people in a house. My other choice would be Packsaddle, but I don't love the look of the accommodation. Then, The Quarry which Falmouth have just taken off their website, I love it but I'd worry that not many first years would be there and for some reason, you have to agree to a 52-week tenancy! So I'm just really stuck. Also looking at the quarry (which would be my top choice overall) i'd probably have to book it sooner rather than later. I don't really know what response I'm looking for but I just don't want to choose the wrong accommodation and regret it. So if anyone has any insight into any of these I'd be grateful!Also, I'd be studying on Penryn campus.

Hiya! Out of interest what sort of things is it about the other places you don’t like so can get an idea what can help with if that makes sense! I lived in glasney and loved it so am slightly biased by a couple of general things to consider would be:
Location-how far from campus! Ocean view I don’t know much about but is pretty far from campus, which means getting around a 10/20 min train, which means still around a 10/15 min walk from campus. This is a doable commute, but do keep in mind the potentially to have 9am lectures! I’m not entirely sure on the cost of the train but the bus prices increased to around £4 for a day ticket with 20 tickets free from the uni for the year, but this tends to change each year depending on the bus company, so cost is worth keeping in mind. Also if you’re on penryn campus, that’s where the majority of your course will be, and whilst this doesn’t really matter, I loved walking up to lectures with my friend from a few blocks down, and walking back as a massive group, but other than that it doesn’t really matter but from experience it’s not as nice in second year knowing you’re not all together so just something to keep in mind!
Look of accommodation-At the end of the day unfortunately student accommodation will be student accommodation! I can’t tell you much about the other accommodation other than Glasney really sorry but Glasney has double beds and all en suite, but not sure what the rest have so worth looking at the facilities each have to see what you’re looking for. In terms of numbers, Glasney has 7 rooms per flat with up to two which can be shared rooms so between 7 and 9 people so 6 isn’t that bad at all probably better if anything!
Location facilities-being on campus means your close to lectures, got the campus shop, coursemates live near you, asda bus, stannary, koofi, society stuff and more. The sidings has the train station which is very useful but again don’t know much about the other accommodation facilities but recommend considering what you’d use the most and what will make your life easier at the end of the day!
Tenancy-so most uni ones are sept to jun, but in second and third year if find your own place you’ll be on a 12 month contract anyway

No idea if any of that is helpful but feel free to message if can help at all happy to try and answer any questions!
Original post by business.gal
Hiya! Out of interest what sort of things is it about the other places you don’t like so can get an idea what can help with if that makes sense! I lived in glasney and loved it so am slightly biased by a couple of general things to consider would be:
Location-how far from campus! Ocean view I don’t know much about but is pretty far from campus, which means getting around a 10/20 min train, which means still around a 10/15 min walk from campus. This is a doable commute, but do keep in mind the potentially to have 9am lectures! I’m not entirely sure on the cost of the train but the bus prices increased to around £4 for a day ticket with 20 tickets free from the uni for the year, but this tends to change each year depending on the bus company, so cost is worth keeping in mind. Also if you’re on penryn campus, that’s where the majority of your course will be, and whilst this doesn’t really matter, I loved walking up to lectures with my friend from a few blocks down, and walking back as a massive group, but other than that it doesn’t really matter but from experience it’s not as nice in second year knowing you’re not all together so just something to keep in mind!
Look of accommodation-At the end of the day unfortunately student accommodation will be student accommodation! I can’t tell you much about the other accommodation other than Glasney really sorry but Glasney has double beds and all en suite, but not sure what the rest have so worth looking at the facilities each have to see what you’re looking for. In terms of numbers, Glasney has 7 rooms per flat with up to two which can be shared rooms so between 7 and 9 people so 6 isn’t that bad at all probably better if anything!
Location facilities-being on campus means your close to lectures, got the campus shop, coursemates live near you, asda bus, stannary, koofi, society stuff and more. The sidings has the train station which is very useful but again don’t know much about the other accommodation facilities but recommend considering what you’d use the most and what will make your life easier at the end of the day!
Tenancy-so most uni ones are sept to jun, but in second and third year if find your own place you’ll be on a 12 month contract anyway

No idea if any of that is helpful but feel free to message if can help at all happy to try and answer any questions!

I know it sounds stupid but it's mainly what the accommodations look like, as I feel like I study better and I'm more productive in an environment that I like. If there are certain features I'd want in accommodation it'd probably just be an en-suite. Also, walking wouldn't really be a major issue for me as my college is a 30 min walk for me every day, so I'd be used to it. But I'd just love to be around people to make friends easier etc. I feel like where ever I end up I'd be happy, but I think it's probably just the nerves of moving away and wanting everything to be perfect. But I do have a few more question you'd probably be able to answer;
Can you choose who'd you like to share with as I'd love to be in a mixed flat?
How easy is it to make friends with others in different accommodations?
Is it a mix of years, with mainly first years?
I get some of those equation just depend on the people, but anything you can answer to i'd be grateful and thank you for your response xx
Original post by niamh.12
I know it sounds stupid but it's mainly what the accommodations look like, as I feel like I study better and I'm more productive in an environment that I like. If there are certain features I'd want in accommodation it'd probably just be an en-suite. Also, walking wouldn't really be a major issue for me as my college is a 30 min walk for me every day, so I'd be used to it. But I'd just love to be around people to make friends easier etc. I feel like where ever I end up I'd be happy, but I think it's probably just the nerves of moving away and wanting everything to be perfect. But I do have a few more question you'd probably be able to answer;
Can you choose who'd you like to share with as I'd love to be in a mixed flat?
How easy is it to make friends with others in different accommodations?
Is it a mix of years, with mainly first years?
I get some of those equation just depend on the people, but anything you can answer to i'd be grateful and thank you for your response xx

That’s understandable but don’t forget that the pictures you see are someone else’s room and rooms can look completely different through personalising it! Mine and my flat mates rooms looked completely different despite being the exact same!
With walking whilst that’s really good and walking is amazing to do, do keep in mind Cornish hills and weather!! 😂 my friend has done the walk from campus to fal and took around an hour I think. Mainly with commuting just worth considering the cost.
So you can’t choose in terms of people, but can you preference mixed or same sex flat and most of them are mixed. You also get to pick four interests and you get put with people of similar interests! I barely know anyone who didn’t get along with the people in their flat!
I guess that depends on how sociable you are! Some people seem to know everyone on campus through parties but personally I mainly stayed with my flat group and course mates.
There are a few flats kept aside for second or third years that want to stay in Glasney but I believe they are all together not with first years
Hope that helps and feel free to reach out happy to answer any questions I can! :smile: x
I'm thinking of accepting an offer to study at Falmouth, but not too sure which accommodation option would be best. A lot of the advice already given here suggests to stay near the campus, however my course would be at Falmouth (Woodlane) rather than Penryn. Tuke House seems to be a popular option in Falmouth, though I really don't like the look of it. I don't want to live in a studio flat either - preferably an ensuite with a larger number of rooms in the flat (more sociable).

This only leaves Carrick View and Ocean View - both look quite nice but are very new, and haven't seen any reviews on these. Ocean is quite close to the uni and beach, but possibly quite a long walk to the supermarket etc. Carrick seems a bit remote from the rest of the town, and am concerned that both of these options might be quiet or less sociable.

Would appreciate if anyone could give an insight into where students who are studying at Falmouth campus will typically choose to live in the first year?
I'm thinking of accepting an offer to study at Falmouth, but not too sure which accommodation option would be best. A lot of the advice already given here suggests to stay near the campus, however my course would be at Falmouth (Woodlane) rather than Penryn. Tuke House seems to be a popular option in Falmouth, though I really don't like the look of it. I don't want to live in a studio flat either - preferably an ensuite with a larger number of rooms in the flat (more sociable).

This only leaves Carrick View and Ocean View - both look quite nice but are very new, and haven't seen any reviews on these. Ocean is quite close to the uni and beach, but possibly quite a long walk to the supermarket etc. Carrick seems a bit remote from the rest of the town, and am concerned that both of these options might be quiet or less sociable.

Would appreciate if anyone could give an insight into where students who are studying at Falmouth campus will typically choose to live in the first year?

Hiya! So I’m at penryn so don’t know too much about Falmouth accommodation but will let you know what I do know!! So only one I really know about is ocean view and it’s a really lovely place! However I know my friends there have really struggled with WiFi this year and have struggled to get refunds from the owners. But it is a really lovely place so might be a risk worth taking? But I believe tuke is closer to town? Ocean I believe is more mixed between year groups as well some second and third years chose to live there as well. Sorry that’s not much help just a dump of the very limited information I know but feel free to get back to me with any questions!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending