The Student Room Group

HELP needed

I want to have a business that designs/and or manufactures robots .

i am going to uni but a having difficulty choosing the course that'll get me the knowledge to have my robotic business
What course (bachelors) will be best suited for my needs ?
Reply 1
mechatronics and robot engineering sounds suitable (but I have no experience in them). and maybe take a business minor?
Why don’t u have a look on the ucas website? :smile:

Maybe smth like engineering with business if ur smart (I’m assuming u are if u want to build a successful business)?
Reply 3
Original post by ayzzack
mechatronics and robot engineering sounds suitable (but I have no experience in them). and maybe take a business minor?

they don't do that in the college that i want to go (college is very close to me and pretty good). you cant do business minor with engineering in there aswell . any other ideas ?
Reply 4
Original post by Motherf*cker
Why don’t u have a look on the ucas website? :smile:

Maybe smth like engineering with business if ur smart (I’m assuming u are if u want to build a successful business)?

I have and it says i can do either mechanical engineering ,electrical or computer science

but engineering is mostly about making and barely any programming so i dont know how i would program them .

there's also no engineering with business at the college of my chose.

i would say im pretty smart but when i want / need to be
Original post by BilleJean
I have and it says i can do either mechanical engineering ,electrical or computer science

but engineering is mostly about making and barely any programming so i dont know how i would program them .

there's also no engineering with business at the college of my chose.

i would say im pretty smart but when i want / need to be

Wdym college of ur choice?

U don’t need a degree in programming... u can teach urself (online courses - free or paid)

And besides, u can’t create a successful business on ur own (you’ll need a team)... and you’ll probably meet people at uni who can help!
Reply 6
Wdym college of ur choice?

U don’t need a degree in programming... u can teach urself (online courses - free or paid)

And besides, u can’t create a successful business on ur own (you’ll need a team)... and you’ll probably meet people at uni who can help!

i mean by college of my choice , the college i would want to go

i am actually learning a bit of programming now but seems really hard to teach in the advanced stages of it

i would start it first by myself and when it gets more difficult for me i would then get a team . probably friends from my classes in uni who i think are smart.

so do you think i should do mechanical engineering , electrical engineering , electronics and electrical engineering , computer engineering or computer science. lol so much choices

i am actually learning a bit of programming now but seems really hard to teach in the advanced stages of it

i would start it first by myself and when it gets more difficult for me i would then get a team . probably friends from my classes in uni who i think are smart.

so do you think i should do mechanical engineering , electrical engineering , electronics and electrical engineering , computer engineering or computer science. lol so much choices

Wdym the college u want to go to? There’s so many university courses to choose from; ur restricting urself if u only look at stuff from that specific college... which is...?
Reply 8

I would suggest u to look at the subjects you will learn on the college's website.

Most mechanical engineering courses require u too learn things like fluid dynamics and I dont think thats important to make robots. Just check the subjects, and if you think the subject mostly fits your career, go for it.

Tbh, I think finding a new college that offers mechatronics is a good option. (it covers mechanical/electronics/software) in general.
Reply 9
Wdym the college u want to go to? There’s so many university courses to choose from; ur restricting urself if u only look at stuff from that specific college... which is...?

Aston University in Birmingham. my mom wouldn't want me going to diff. cities for uni and i wouldn't want that either. I would probably do mechanical engineering and self teach myself programming. in mech engineering , they also teach the electrical side of it as well. which is good
Reply 10
Original post by ayzzack
I would suggest u to look at the subjects you will learn on the college's website.

Most mechanical engineering courses require u too learn things like fluid dynamics and I dont think thats important to make robots. Just check the subjects, and if you think the subject mostly fits your career, go for it.

Tbh, I think finding a new college that offers mechatronics is a good option. (it covers mechanical/electronics/software) in general.

Modules :
Introduction to Engineering and Design
Prototyping and Development
Electrical Engineering Fundamentals
Engineering Science 1
Manufacturing and Materials
Mathematical Modelling for Engineers

Advanced Mathematical Modelling
Materials and Manufacturing 2
Engineering Science 2
Thermal Fluid Science 1
Design and Engineering for the User
Engineering for Industry

Thermal Fluid Science 2
Advanced Dynamics and Control
Advanced Solid Mechanics and FEA
Engineering Design & the Environment
Individual Major Project
Professional Engineering Practice
Advanced Systems Design (Option)
Advanced Manufacturing (Option)

these are the modules , dont even have a clue what they mean , can you help me out which ones are most useful ?
Reply 11
Modules :
Introduction to Engineering and Design
Prototyping and Development
Electrical Engineering Fundamentals
Engineering Science 1
Manufacturing and Materials
Mathematical Modelling for Engineers

Advanced Mathematical Modelling
Materials and Manufacturing 2
Engineering Science 2
Thermal Fluid Science 1
Design and Engineering for the User
Engineering for Industry

Thermal Fluid Science 2
Advanced Dynamics and Control
Advanced Solid Mechanics and FEA
Engineering Design & the Environment
Individual Major Project
Professional Engineering Practice
Advanced Systems Design (Option)
Advanced Manufacturing (Option)

these are the modules , dont even have a clue what they mean , can you help me out which ones are most useful ?

welp I have no idea either. gotta ask someone who studied engineering
Aston University in Birmingham. my mom wouldn't want me going to diff. cities for uni and i wouldn't want that either. I would probably do mechanical engineering and self teach myself programming. in mech engineering , they also teach the electrical side of it as well. which is good

Ok then sounds like ur pretty much decided anyway lol
Reply 13
Ok then sounds like ur pretty much decided anyway lol

Yeh lol , Thanks anyways , if you ever hear of a robot factory in birmingham , then i made it . lmao
Yeh lol , Thanks anyways , if you ever hear of a robot factory in birmingham , then i made it . lmao

Lmao surely it’d be a better idea in somewhere like China where manufacturing is cheaper lol

Quick Reply

Latest