The Student Room Group

Should I switch to Geography?

I’m doing history and I hate it with a passion, x10 harder than I thought. :frown: Also the fact that I’m learning about dates I’ll forget later and dead people is....not motivating at all.
I’m in Y10 and it’s been 6 months since September.
There are very little people in Geography, so numbers aren’t a problem.
Should I switch to geography?
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean if you find it more enjoyable than history then go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by laLala729
I’m doing history and I hate it with a passion, x10 harder than I thought. :frown: Also the fact that I’m learning about dates I’ll forget later and dead people is....not motivating at all.

Hi, you might be able to switch but I highly doubt as it has been too long and you have missed a lot of topic that would have been covered, it is going to be really hard for you to go back to geography and actually learn all the content especially the fact that its online lessons you will not be able to ask the teacher for extra help or if you were in school you might have been able to go to your teacher at break or lunch but you cannot really do that in the current situation

In my opinion do not change now you are going to be in a more worse position than you are with history I suggest you use flashcards, you can like any subject because I get what position you are in now you need to start liking history again I would suggest you just watch documentaries about the subject and learn why it is actually not as bad as you think it is that will gain you more motivation about the subject
This is a tough cookie question to answer.
Geography develops your map drawing skills but history hones your research skills. Ask your department head about switching over. History is as important as geography in my opinion. Both of those help you to learn some more about our world and society etc and gain a number of important skills that are needed for life.
Make a list of pros and cons of both then try to decide on what to do next. Watch a few different tv documentaries on geography and history in the meantime to generate more interest first. History is really as versatile as geography in terms of the overall content. Read some real life history books and also see if you even can download or borrow some good classic historical films in order to learn more about life in the past. History is fun.
In general, I find geography is more science/maths based. Lots of short mark answers, lots of graph reading, lots of scientific processes to remember etc.
History is more like english, as you know, with almost all being essays and fact memorising.

I would decide based on whether you are more of a maths or english person.

Yes you definitely should before it's to late, I really regret taking History, its so hard.
I do Geography and I am so glad that I chose it instead of History. All that being said, I’m not sure if you should change. We’ve covered A LOT of content in the first six months of the course and I’ve found that it actually has quite a lot of content. But then if you’re up for the work, including having less free time and catching up on everything you’ve missed then go for it. I do Computer Science as an extra option at home and after every lesson they have, I have to do the same work but at home. It isn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be but Computer Science has way less content than Geography. It will be very hard but if you’re up for it, I say go for it.
Reply 7
Hey guys, thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it :smile:
I talked to my head of year, she said no way am I switching. Instead, I can drop History *but I won’t get my EBacc*
Keep in mind, I wish to study in Oxford and become a financial analyst.
Should I drop History? I have 10 other GCSEs.
I talked to my head of year, she said no way am I switching. Instead, I can drop History *but I won’t get my EBacc*

No, honestly from someone whose struggling a lot with it, listen, you have a chance o learn the whole thing from the beginning. Try to learn it all before year 11 and if you still don't get it, drop it
Reply 9
Original post by CuriousSeeker
No, honestly from someone whose struggling a lot with it, listen, you have a chance o learn the whole thing from the beginning. Try to learn it all before year 11 and if you still don't get it, drop it

Ok, thank you, do you have any revision tips as to how to revise it? What books do you recommend (Edexcel)?
depends what specification your school is doing it with, my school is doing it with aqa and I got revision cards for all the topics you're going to learn and obviously a revision book. you should starting revising for every subject now so you can free in year 11 and not be as stressed.
Reply 11

Ok, thank you, do you have any revision tips as to how to revise it? What books do you recommend (Edexcel)?

depends what specification your school is doing it with, my school is doing it with aqa and I got revision cards for all the topics you're going to learn and obviously a revision book. you should starting revising for every subject now so you can free in year 11 and not be as stressed.
Reply 13

Thank you :smile: (and sorry for the double replies, dk what happened there)

your EBacc can be obtained through geography or history, dont drop history in my opinion because in my opinion there are more cons now then pros it will just be harder as you will have to spend lots of time studying geography in order to catch up it is not really worth it
that is so true, geography is harder than history in my opinion history is easier to get marks in as the grade boundaries are lower you just kind of need to justify your point and geography is different it has alot of content and as per my schools previous geography results( private school) only 2 people got grade 7 out of 60 which is mind blowing whereas in history nearly everyone got above grade 5 and 6
Reply 16

Yes you must
Reply 17

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest