The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheesychips2
because corbyn is a liberal marxist and i dont like liberal marxists

He's closer to a Trotskyist, actually. Now, where did I put that ice pick?
Original post by fallen_acorns
no, the whole thing was questioning whether using offensive/racist language makes you a racist. For example, if I make an arguement for an end to racial-pay disparities, but while doing so use the wrong word for black people? Am I a racist? I've said something racist, but in the middle of making a point where I'm arguing to end inequality?

I think your reading what you want to read, and ignoring the rest.

yeah I couldn't be bothered reading the whole thing tbh, but what u said now doesn't make you a racist but I haven't heard Boris say much about that tbh
Original post by Bogelles
I don't argue with idiots sorry won't comment much cause it won't change you

Trump has literally said today he doesn't want the NHS though and seriously who would? It is so unprofitable

The channel 4 live debate was good but that isn't what I was referencing, he showed up to that probably because they couldn't manipulate what he was saying there.

Also something that hasn't happened yet can't be a "proven lie" so that's an interesting one

I must ask you, if Corbyn is so good how come he has such low opinion polls and why isn't he set to win a majority government?

I'm genuinely unsure if you're a troll or not... There's no way someone could be this stupid

Do you actually believe a word Trump says? A couple months back he said it was on the table. I guess you do, you believe Johnson's blatant lies as well. Do you really think the NHS is unprofitable as well? Have you seen what they've done to healthcare in the US? It could easily be the same here.

He didn't show up to the live climate debate so I don't know what you're talking about here; he was replaced by an ice sculpture and gove went along instead like the pompous arse he is and tried to make a scene out of it

It is a proven lie because he stated that they would be doing so a while back and furthermore it has been proven from their levels of stated investments that there is nowhere near enough funding for it to be possible

He has such low opinion polls likely because of the constant slander he is subjected to by the msm, but also I would guess because he is so convicted
Original post by Omertà
yeah I couldn't be bothered reading the whole thing tbh, but what u said now doesn't make you a racist but I haven't heard Boris say much about that tbh

Its an analogy for what he said in the Muslim-woman context.

He argued that Islamic women should be free to wear anything they want, and that there shouldn't be a ban on the Burka or any religious head coverings (liberal position).

But while making the argument he joked that they looked like letter boxes (offensive comment).

--

Where does that leave us? His point and argument was a liberal and progressive one? But he used some bad words to make it? Is that racist?

On the other hand in France you have Macron, a very liberal and progressive leader, friend of the left.. who uses very liberal language about islamic people... But his country bans the Burka, and he hasn't changed this in his time in power.

For me, if I were an Islamic woman I would much rather get behind the guy who wants to keep my rights intact, but says some rude things.. than the guy who takes away my rights but in a polite way.

--

But to understand all this, you need to know the context that Boris makes these comments. He is writing news paper articles for right-wing press publications. He's not an idiot, he knows his audiance is mostly old right-wing people, who are actually far more right-wing than he is. So what you'll see time and again in his articles (same with the single-mother article) is that he uses language that he knows his audiance will like, laugh at and support, while actually making a liberal point that they wouldn't otherwise read.

For all his language hes a very liberal tory, far more so than Cameron or May or Major or the like.

(hes also a liar and a self-serving despical cheat, but anyway)
Original post by fallen_acorns
Its an analogy for what he said in the Muslim-woman context.

He argued that Islamic women should be free to wear anything they want, and that there shouldn't be a ban on the Burka or any religious head coverings (liberal position).

But while making the argument he joked that they looked like letter boxes (offensive comment).

--

Where does that leave us? His point and argument was a liberal and progressive one? But he used some bad words to make it? Is that racist?

On the other hand in France you have Macron, a very liberal and progressive leader, friend of the left.. who uses very liberal language about islamic people... But his country bans the Burka, and he hasn't changed this in his time in power.

For me, if I were an Islamic woman I would much rather get behind the guy who wants to keep my rights intact, but says some rude things.. than the guy who takes away my rights but in a polite way.

--

But to understand all this, you need to know the context that Boris makes these comments. He is writing news paper articles for right-wing press publications. He's not an idiot, he knows his audiance is mostly old right-wing people, who are actually far more right-wing than he is. So what you'll see time and again in his articles (same with the single-mother article) is that he uses language that he knows his audiance will like, laugh at and support, while actually making a liberal point that they wouldn't otherwise read.

For all his language hes a very liberal tory, far more so than Cameron or May or Major or the like.

(hes also a liar and a self-serving despical cheat, but anyway)

Jesus I said I couldn't be bothered reading the last one and you hit me with this. I will read it in a bit kinda ill rn
Because he's not Jeremy Corbyn and hopefully under his leadership we will leave the EU, unlike if either the lib Dems were to win and revoke or Labour were to win and give us a referendum with a choice of remain or remain.
Original post by ColinDent
Because he's not Jeremy Corbyn and hopefully under his leadership we will leave the EU, unlike if either the lib Dems were to win and revoke or Labour were to win and give us a referendum with a choice of remain or remain.

So you recognise if there was a second referendum with the choice to remain that remain would win? That's how democracy should work
Reply 67
Original post by Vinny C
He's closer to a Trotskyist, actually. Now, where did I put that ice pick?

Hahahahaha, that's actually a good one!! :biggrin:
Original post by YoungMetro_
So you recognise if there was a second referendum with the choice to remain that remain would win? That's how democracy should work

Erm when given the option of either remain in the CU/SM or revoke article 50 and remain in the EU then yes obviously remain would win because both options= remain.
The fairer choice would be either the CU/SM option or no deal, given that leave won the referendum and all that, but remain driven parliamentarians don't want that because they fear no deal would win.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by YoungMetro_
I'm genuinely unsure if you're a troll or not... There's no way someone could be this stupid

Do you actually believe a word Trump says? A couple months back he said it was on the table. I guess you do, you believe Johnson's blatant lies as well. Do you really think the NHS is unprofitable as well? Have you seen what they've done to healthcare in the US? It could easily be the same here.

He didn't show up to the live climate debate so I don't know what you're talking about here; he was replaced by an ice sculpture and gove went along instead like the pompous arse he is and tried to make a scene out of it

It is a proven lie because he stated that they would be doing so a while back and furthermore it has been proven from their levels of stated investments that there is nowhere near enough funding for it to be possible

He has such low opinion polls likely because of the constant slander he is subjected to by the msm, but also I would guess because he is so convicted

Got the itv debate and the ****ty channel 4 one mixed up
He was popular as the mayor of London. He speaks well. He is funny. He organised the London Olympics fantastically well. He promoted cycling in London
Original post by HucktheForde
He was popular as the mayor of London. He speaks well. He is funny. He organised the London Olympics fantastically well. He promoted cycling in London

Sadly Johnson is able to get away with some truly bad behaviour. Ken Livingstone instigated the bicycle scheme in London after being inspired by the parisian model. It was then implemented in Johnson's reign. He also wasted close to £100 million on the crazy 'Garden Bridge' scheme. Not to mention the huge lies around Brexit. Max Hastings fired him from the Telegraph for writing complete lies (remember the EU 'straight bananas'?). As for 'funny', his previous employer said of him:"... He is also a far more ruthless, and frankly nastier, figure than the public appreciates.”
(edited 3 years ago)
He is the least bad PM since Maggie and the best available option at the time.

The other options were Michael Gove and Jeremy Hunt (shudder) or labour (vomit)
Johnson came in with this great hope that he would complete Brexit finally, which he did, then COVID-19 struck. To me, he was the only option to keep Corbyn out of power. He also brought a breath of fresh air with his playful attitude. But during COVID-19, his govt has been shown to be indecisive and almost dictatorial. I'm genuinely concerned for my country's freedom and will be voting Boris Johnson and the majority of his cabinet out at the earliest opportunity.
Yes, unfortunately all the evidence piles up against Johnson's leadership. With his indecisiveness, we have the highest covid death rate in Europe. And the Brexit vanity project: UK companies are, at least partly, relocating to EU countries. The Road Haulage Association calculate that exports to the EU have fallen as much as 68% since 1 January due to Brexit border hold-ups. Still good old humorous Boris did say "fu*k" Business.
Original post by Starship Trooper
He is the least bad PM since Maggie and the best available option at the time.

The other options were Michael Gove and Jeremy Hunt (shudder) or labour (vomit)

I really can't guess what your criteria are for 'least bad' when we have the worst covid death rate in Europe and an economy that has been knackered by Brexit. I've been scratching my head over why people like this Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (should be 'piffle'). But I get the feeling that people think that he's 'one of us' and 'a bit anti-establishment' and a laugh. Well, he is most definitely not a 'one of us' sort; he is an elitist. He is also solidly a part of the establishment. As for being a wag, don't get on the wrong side because he can be a nasty b*stard.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by swamptheng666
I really can't guess what your criteria are for 'least bad' when we have the worst covid death rate in Europe and an economy that has been knackered by Brexit. I've been scratching my head over why people like this Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (should be 'piffle'). But I get the feeling that people think that he's 'one of us' and 'a bit anti-establishment' and a laugh. Well, he is most definitely not a 'one of us' sort; he is an elitist. He is also solidly a part of the establishment. As for being a wag, don't get on the wrong side because he can be a nasty b*stard.

I don't know what a wag is but I heard he can be unpleasant. Good.

He is an elitist part of the establishment but he betrayed them by supporting brexit even if his heart wasn't in it.

The economic crash is mainly due to lockdown rather than brexit but remoaners will try and exploit that

Meh I'm not too bothered by the death count.
It's a matter of statistics and largely inevitable. The government can't protect you from the flu.
I don't know what a wag is but I heard he can be unpleasant. Good.

He is an elitist part of the establishment but he betrayed them by supporting brexit even if his heart wasn't in it.

The economic crash is mainly due to lockdown rather than brexit but remoaners will try and exploit that

Meh I'm not too bothered by the death count.
It's a matter of statistics and largely inevitable. The government can't protect you from the flu.

So the seasonal flu jab is not part of Government health policy? A couple of months ago the Governor of the Bank of England said that a no-deal Brexit would cost more than Covid, especially in the long term (we have a truly crap deal). Death counts are about real people; do you not care? At least our governors should really care, or why would we vote for them.
Also, it's not productive for any sensible argument to create a divide of 'Remoaners' and 'Brexiteers'. Ends up like some stupid tribal football - supporting slanging match.
Original post by swamptheng666
So the seasonal flu jab is not part of Government health policy? A couple of months ago the Governor of the Bank of England said that a no-deal Brexit would cost more than Covid, especially in the long term (we have a truly crap deal). Death counts are about real people; do you not care? At least our governors should really care, or why would we vote for them.
Also, it's not productive for any sensible argument to create a divide of 'Remoaners' and 'Brexiteers'. Ends up like some stupid tribal football - supporting slanging match.

Not really as they can't force us to take the stupid things.

We won't have an economy left in the long term after this

I care about individuals but for many people this is is just s stick to bash the Tories with.

Then get over it then
Not really as they can't force us to take the stupid things.

We won't have an economy left in the long term after this

I care about individuals but for many people this is is just s stick to bash the Tories with.

Then get over it then

Maybe for many it is, but any government needs to be held accountable. Tribalism has no place in a so-called rational society. Are you a student? I only just signed-up - found some link on the web